My nLite Windows install won't work

death_au

i dont know but this might be QEMU? did u try VMware

Actually, it is possible. Since whats happening right now isnt actually affecting any disks, have you tried just rebooting with the disk in (and hitting any button to start setup) and see if it does it there too?

It seems strange that the image would be written incorrectly.

If it does the same thing when you run setup on the real machine, try making the ISO with the mkisofs engine in nlite instead of the default one.

i dont know but this might be QEMU? did u try VMware

Actually, it is possible. Since whats happening right now isnt actually affecting any disks, have you tried just rebooting with the disk in (and hitting any button to start setup) and see if it does it there too?

It seems strange that the image would be written incorrectly.

If it does the same thing when you run setup on the real machine, try making the ISO with the mkisofs engine in nlite instead of the default one.

Yeah, that was my first guess. I've tried the image and a physical CD on QEMU and Microsoft Virtual PC 2004 and the CD on two actual computers. All say the same thing.

You may have a problem with nLite, try using the latest version. I beleive the latest is 1.3RC, if that is the one your using, try using 1.21.

You never know :unsure:

I'm a bit busy again today, but when I get a chance i will try a different version of nLite.

[EDIT] - I was using 1.3RC, I tried 1.21 - had the same problem.... I tried replacing the mkisofs version that came with nLite with another version - same problem... Maybe there's something that changes in the files when I copy them to the hard drive (even before I start nLite)... I really don't know.

I'll keep looking for that original CD.

Edited by death_au

i'm having the same exact problem--that screen comes up right after the press f2 for asr..

using a win xp pro dell oem disc--

i've tried using the same disc before w/ previous ver of nlite and didn't have this problem with it.

i'm suspecting it has to do w/ the nvidia raid drivers...

hm.

now it's working fine and the only thing different i did was made sure i ran everything at an administrator level (run as didn't even work)

something about making a slipstreamed disc seems to require admin level.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

The same thing happens to me, except I am using winPE and no nLite. I built my winPE with Server 2K3, and it prompts me for the server disk. I'm not sure, but I think it may have something to do with the win5.xxx tag file on the root of the CD. Are you integrating mass storage drivers? I am trying to integrate Intel Sata drivers -iaStor.sys.

Good Luck.

Edited by suhlman

I have no Idea what is causing it but if you change the burning engine from the internal one to Mkisosf then make your image it will work as it happened to me. If you burn the image directly to disk you do not get this error. This has happened with 3 different Windows cd's, one origional XP, one MSDN xp+SP2 and one XP VLK disk.

Hi,

The same thing happens to me. I built my WinXP SP2 with nLite 1.3 RC2 and I using Intel ICH7 RAID.

First I integrated all RAID and net drivers in installation and got Windows hang up when it restarting in final setup phase,

it happens only if I using Intel ICH7 RAID controller. If I using Intel ICH7 AHCI SATA mode drivers, all workinh ok.

After this I try do not add any drivers in installation, but make only some unattended and tweek settings, on CD setup boot time pressed F6 for adding Intel ICH7 RAID controller drivers in FDD, after some time windows setup asked abot CD with iaStor.sys file, and not found it on FDD, but it reading FDD ...

The same installatin without processing by nLite, using Nlite only for making ISO image working ok.

I thinking that something wrong with textmode boot driver installation in nLite .... :(

Dainis

I finally got my image working. Again, this is probably the wrong forum since I'm not using nLite, but if it can save someone some pain that I had to endure it's worth it.

This is what I did:

I started over with the source files for PE and windows. I used W2K3 server for the windows files, and winPE 1.6

I manually made the PE image using mkimg with the switches for WMI etc.

edited winpeoem.sif like winpe.chm suggests simple really

ran sysprep -bmsd on the target box

added the mass storage section from the sysprep to my regular sysprep.inf and changed the build mass storage from yes to NO

Added the driver structure for sysprep (c:\sysprep\drivers\SATA)

Booted fine with PE

Ran the build

Sysprep added the drivers when it resealed

There was an error when it sealed - unable to write to the registry. I googled it and read the MS article for Win2K. Fixed the line in sysprep. It didnt know where to get the drivers(c:\sysprep\SATA). added the folder, and it worked like a charm. Problem finally solved. Thanks to everyone who helped.