My nLite Windows install won't work

death_au

I recently created a Windows XP CD using nLite, slipstreaming in various addons and setting it up to be an unattended install. But whenever I try to boot from a CD created by nLite, I get the message: "Please insert the disk labeled Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 CD into drive A"

The CD I'm using to get the setup files already has Service Pack 2 on it and everything. I've done some searching on the internet, and found that the problem is often caused by a missing WIN51IP.SP2 file (or win51ip.sp2 apparently capitals matter). On the CD I have, the file is there, spelled in lowercase. After applying nLite, the file becomes uppercase. I tried changing it back before making the ISO, but it didn't help.

I've tried running the ISO in Microsoft Virtual PC 2004 and qemu, as well as burning the CD and trying it on my laptop. Still the same error.

Does anyone have any ideas on what's wrong?

I'm not completely sure, but I think that the file "WIN51IP.SP1" should also be there.

Can you post a screenshot (or text file) of all the files (and folders) on the root of the disc? If you could do that, I can better help you sort this out.

And welcome to the forums! :hello:

Edit: Ok, scratch that, "WIN51IP.SP1" isn't there on my XP reinstall cd, so that's not needed.

Edited by prx984

I recently created a Windows XP CD using nLite, slipstreaming in various addons and setting it up to be an unattended install. But whenever I try to boot from a CD created by nLite, I get the message: "Please insert the disk labeled Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 CD into drive A"

The CD I'm using to get the setup files already has Service Pack 2 on it and everything. I've done some searching on the internet, and found that the problem is often caused by a missing WIN51IP.SP2 file (or win51ip.sp2 apparently capitals matter). On the CD I have, the file is there, spelled in lowercase. After applying nLite, the file becomes uppercase. I tried changing it back before making the ISO, but it didn't help.

I've tried running the ISO in Microsoft Virtual PC 2004 and qemu, as well as burning the CD and trying it on my laptop. Still the same error.

Does anyone have any ideas on what's wrong?

Please attach your winnt.sif file (dont paste it, attach please).

I will guide you. Was the original CD a CD like a Dell reinstall cd, or a HP reinstall CD, or something like that?

Okay, I've attatched two images with the contents of the root of the CDs. I think everything appears to be in order.

I also attached the WINNT.SIF for you to look at.

The CD I have isn't from some manufacturer or anything, I think it's an official CD that's had SP2 slipstreamed into it. I did turn the house upside-down looking for my original CD to try that, but I've obviously put it "somewhere safe" and I can't find it :angry:

In any case it should still work, shouldn't it?

P.S. I apologise for taking so long to reply, this past week's been a bit hectic.

The one on the right is the one with just SP2.

post-120940-1168557157_thumb.png

post-120940-1168557197_thumb.png

WINNT.SIF

Edited by death_au

Crap! I meant to ask for txtsetup.sif. Please attach that one lol sorry.

Here it is.

:blink: There's a LOT of info in that one file, isn't there? I've had to zip it up so I could attach it.

OK, I just compared your modified txtsetup to mine, and I see no major differences. Could you now attach the "Last Session.ini" from the root of your CD? It almost seems like there is a file it is trying to load during the driver load phase that isnt coming up.

Also, could you open a command prompt, navigate to the i386 directory on the CD, and then type:

dir > C:\dirlist.txt

then attach that file as well. You will probably have to compress the dirlist.txt too as it will be quite large.

Thanks

Could you now attach the "Last Session.ini" from the root of your CD? It almost seems like there is a file it is trying to load during the driver load phase that isnt coming up.

Also, could you open a command prompt, navigate to the i386 directory on the CD, and then type:

I put them both in the same zip file.

Thanks for looking at this for me.

MoreFiles.zip

Could you now attach the "Last Session.ini" from the root of your CD? It almost seems like there is a file it is trying to load during the driver load phase that isnt coming up.

I put them both in the same zip file.

Thanks for looking at this for me.

Ok after looking at both files for what I thought was the problem, I have one thing to say: ARRRRRGH!

Could you walk me thru the process up to the point where it gives you the error? Basically I want to know the very last thing that appears on screen before the error occurs. It may be something at the bottom, like loading some driver, heck if you can get a screenshot of it in a virtual machine, that would be even better.

Ok after looking at both files for what I thought was the problem, I have one thing to say: ARRRRRGH!

Could you walk me thru the process up to the point where it gives you the error? Basically I want to know the very last thing that appears on screen before the error occurs. It may be something at the bottom, like loading some driver, heck if you can get a screenshot of it in a virtual machine, that would be even better.

It boots,

says press F6 to install third party SCSI or RAID driver,

says press F2 to run Automated System Recovery (ASR)

Then the dreaded insert CD into drive A

I'm attaching all three screenshots. I assure you there is not even a flash of loading drivers or anything before I get this screen

(screenshots were taken in QEMU 0.8.2)

post-120940-1168579198_thumb.png

post-120940-1168579231_thumb.png

post-120940-1168579395_thumb.png

did you tried to do it all over again?

it could an hidden error during any thing you did!!!!

Yup.

Tried some different settings in nLite, too.

Just about the only thing I haven't tried is setting up the nLite install to be as default: no hotfixes, no optional settings, none of that. But if I do that, what's the point of using nLite?

[EDIT] I just tried using nLite on an unmodified copy of my CD contents and did nothing but make the ISO....

It's telling me to put the CD in drive A in QEMU

Edited by death_au

You may have a problem with nLite, try using the latest version. I beleive the latest is 1.3RC, if that is the one your using, try using 1.21.

You never know :unsure:

:lol: black wolf, good one

Edited by prx984