win vista and xp

kamtesel17

ALWAYS install the older operating system first and work your way to the newest. The bootloader files are different for each version but backwards compatible. So, if you install XP first, Vista knows how to let it run, but if you install XP second, it does not know how to let Vista run...

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to bump a thread, but this seemed better than starting a new one.

I am in a similar situation, but havent actually done it yet

I had XP installed, and then installed Vista. All working fine. But I have since formatted my XP install so its Vista only (the XP one was very old, broken and due for a reinstall). Is it now possible to reinstall and manually edit something (i understand Vista no longer uses the boot.ini?) in order to get the selection menu back? Or should i just live with Vista on its own now?

How did you get Vista back once you had formatted the XP partition? If you had just let Vista set up the dual boot for you then the Vista boot files should have been on the XP partition.

Are you now saying you want to reinstall XP? If so, you need to know where your Vista boot files are (bootmgr and BCD). If they are on the Vista partition then I would recommend leaving them there and doing an independent install of XP to the other partition and using another bootmanager. www.multibooters.co.uk/multiboot.html

Edited by McTavish