"My Documents" missing

I just tried to save a file in Metapad to the "My Documents" folder but couldn't because it wasn't showing in the file dialog box. I then checked to make sure that the folder still exists using Windows Explorer. It's still there. BTW, I also checked using several other programs, and the problem is not exclusive to Metapad.

Last night I installed the unofficial SP2.1a. I don't know if that's what caused this problem, but it seems likely. Anyone else run into this, or know what the cause might be and how to fix it?

Phil

hmm...Maybe try to re-register the dll for my documents by running

regsvr32.exe -u c:\windows\system\mydocs.dll and then

regsvr32.exe c:\windows\system\mydocs.dll

If that doesn't work, you can still check your Mydocs.dll version.

You can also delete "My documents", recreate the folder and then register mydocs.dll again...

Hope that helps.

Hmmmmmmm...

Have you changed the default icon for your "My Documents" folder to a different one?

I think that some programs have a problem finding a (shell)folder if it's default icon has been changed to something else...

But don't quote me on that ;)...

If you have done this, try changing it back... or...

Enable "show all files" and delete the hidden "desktop.ini" file within the "My Documents" folder...

That file holds the info pertaining to icon assignment and special folder attributes...

Reboot and the file will be "rebuilt"...

HTH :)