sp2

Service pack versions always superceed previous versions: you only need apply the latest service pack.

I slipstream SP1 (not SP1a), latest hotixes, and inject the UXTHEME.DL_ that is available on the board. The only reason to do it before the SP1 slipsrteam, would be if you do not plan on installing SP1, as it will overwrite it.

I'm not sure I follow. I extract and slipstream in one command, so I could not extract/replace file/slipstream. but the end result of extract & slipstream/replace file is the same, no? I would hope, using your suggested method, that the slipstreamer would notice something wrong with the file, just as XP setup does (and notes in the setuperr.txt log). Try and tell!

This is what i mean

i created a folder called slipstream, and then 3 subfolders

D:\Slipstream

D:\Slipstream\XP

D:\Slipstream\SP1a

D:\Slipstream\SP2

i put my xp cd in and copied all the files to D:\Slipstream\XP

next i put my Service Pack1a cd in and extracted xpsp1a_en_x86.exe to D:\Slipstream\SP1a

next i opened the folder sp1a and deleted uxtheme.dl_ and then copied the hacked version to folder sp1a

then i opened a command window from the sp1a folder and typed

Makecab uxtheme.dll uxtheme.dl_

from that same command prompt i typed

start /wait d:\Slipstream\SP1\Update\Update.exe -S:d:\Slipstream\xp

which then slipstreamed sp1a "with the hacked version of uxtheme" into xp

and low and behold the bloody thing worked, well i think, there is no errors in svcpack.txt

just gotta test it now

Please i hope you understand this as i dont think i can make it any clearer

Will keep you posted

Lee

next i opened the folder sp1a and deleted uxtheme.dl_ and then copied the hacked version to folder sp1a

then i opened a command window from the sp1a folder and typed

Makecab uxtheme.dll uxtheme.dl_

start /wait  d:\Slipstream\SP1\Update\Update.exe -S:d:\Slipstream\xp

Ahhhh that is clear! I guess you've tried it, so we will know. I do it (something) like this:

start /wait  d:\Slipstream\SP1\Update\xpsp1a_en_x86.exe -S:d:\Slipstream\xp

next i opened the folder XP and deleted uxtheme.dl_ and then copied the hacked (compressed) version to folder XP

Which, hopefully, results in the same thing. What about SP2? I hope it does not have an UXTHEME.DL_.

Personally, I would not install SP1, and then SP2 except on a running configuration. In fact, every CD I make I start with the XP CD in one drive, a blank CD in another, and run one .CMD file that will rip XP, slipstream the SP in a given directory (regardless of name), slipstream the hotfixes in a given directory, integrate my own files (CMDLINES.TXT, INSTALS.CMD, IE6.1, .Net, etc.) found in a given directory, create an ISO, and burn it to CD. One click. Then again, I've been known to be a lazy dog...