Driver Compatibility

Offler

take a look here:

www.driverguide.com

and then look at the top of this topic. try to identify your hardware so much as possible. there is chance that there are drivers available for same card but the name of the product is different - most important are marks at the chip on your card.

I tried that and I found 2 drivers and they both didn't work, Got a rundll32 error.

Any other way to install it?

i have taken a look at that driver.

it seems to be suitably written for Windows 9x systems, but i received the same bug as you did.

i think there is bug in driver - manufacturer tried to keep full compatibility, but he failed... try to contact them...

it seems to be suitably written for Windows 9x systems, but i received the same bug as you did.

i think there is bug in driver - manufacturer tried to keep full compatibility, but he failed... try to contact them...

I can't, Because the manufacturer of the card and driver is Sony Corporation and they don't support modified systems, Because I have modified mine, I have broken the warrenty, They also wouldn't support the driver since it is publicly available.

it is certain that they have written driver for win9x based system without test system available (or in virtual machine), and the driver is not working with Rundll32 which is used by windows 9x. write it as a bugreport, do not say anything about warranty.

Got a response, This is what they sent me.

Taylor Karras,

Thank you for contacting Sony Online Support.

We are sorry that the error messages in the Computer is causing you inconvenience. Please follow the steps below to use the System Restore feature of Windows ME.

IMPORTANT: System Restore will restore the Windows Registry and other

settings back to the date and time selected. Saved e-mail

will not be affected, but you will need to reinstall any

hardware or software installed after the date of the restore

point used.

IMPORTANT: You may experience data file loss during the Restore process

on any data files not stored in the "My Documents" folder.

You should backup or copy any data files to the either the

My Documents folder, or removable media (e.g. Floppy, CD-R)

to avoid losing data before performing the restore.

NOTE: If the system will not start Windows in normal mode, the System

Restore feature can be run from inside Safe Mode.

1. Click Start point to Programs, point to Accessories, point to

System Tools and click System Restore.

2. Click Next.

3. Click to select the day to restore the image from using the Calendar

on the left. (Date must be in bold)

4. Click to select a restore point on the right.

5. Click Next.

6. At the prompt to close all programs, close all open applications.

Then click OK.

7. Click Next.

8. The system will be restored to the image selected and restart.

9. Click OK to finish the restore process.

Thank you for the opportunity to be of assistance.

Your Sony Email Response Team

C62J

Greg

This message and any attachments are solely for the use of intended recipients. They may contain privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you received this email in error, and that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this email and any attachment is strictly prohibited. If you receive this email in error please contact the sender and delete the message and any attachments associated therewith from your computer. Your cooperation in this matter is appreciated.

And I already knew about System Restore.

so i found some issues in NVidia drivers and send similar request to devs but they just said that the win9x projects are discontinued. Just try to wait if they release new version of this driver, or try to find older version somewhere...

next choice is to find a way how to upgrade rundll32 for these purposes.

• 2 weeks later...

Since many drivers are using WDM standard there is mostly not necesarry to hack or crack them.

the only problem now is that WDM standard changed. Driver developers are quite lazy and they dont want to pay for development drivers for legacy systems. Althought WDM means win9x,2k,2003,xp compliant the developers do not create drivers for w9x...

therefore no hack or crack should work, because there must be done a lot of coding or at least scripting...

If the driver is able to work with ntkern.vxd but if there can be some blocks sometimes without any reason. there can some work of this type do something...

But Driver packs... hard to say. it is not only for single device, but there are mulltiple devices... i doubt if it could be possible or easy to do. I think there shall be necessary to reprogram some dll/sys modules to be compatible with win9x...

so i found some issues in NVidia drivers and send similar request to devs but they just said that the win9x projects are discontinued. Just try to wait if they release new version of this driver, or try to find older version somewhere...

next choice is to find a way how to upgrade rundll32 for these purposes.

I can't find any but I know that CMDNINST.exe and COMMCTRL.DLL runs all the managing of drivers, If there is anyway to force the hardware on there?

Sorry to bring up and old topic.

Edited by SU182

I have an ENX-26 card installed in my system and I can't seem to get the drivers to install, There are only drivers for Windows XP.

Is there Any Way I can get them to install.

forget it, SU182. You're pretty much out of luck. If Sony only provides the ENX-26 drivers for XP, they're for XP ONLY and NOT for other versions of Windows. You'll have to upgrade to Windows XP to use the ENX-26 card (I blame Sony for this for not providing drivers for other versions of Windows; if they did, they were kinda hard to get)

but even if you used the right drivers for the ENX-26 card under WinXP, you still may have some problems if you do NOT have the GigaPocket software installed for the ENX-26 card. see these threads:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/223993

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/361241

I can't find any but I know that CMDNINST.exe and COMMCTRL.DLL runs all the managing of drivers, If there is anyway to force the hardware on there?

nope. that will not make your ENX-26 card work under ME; that may destroy your OS and possibly your computer

if sony designed this device and the driver to work only under XP, then you are better off using winxp instead of using an unsupported OS

Edited by erpdude8

it wasn't really a bug. it's more like the Sony ENX-26 driver is referencing a function that doesn't exist in W9xME systems that does exist in WinXP. I think this driver is created with the newer WDF (Windows Driver Foundation) standard and NOT the WDM standard. Drivers created in the WDF standard are no longer compatible with Win9xME systems and only function under Win2000/XP/2003/Vista. SU182 is basically out of luck when attempting to use this device under WinME and should use XP [and why use WinME? Win98/ME supported FEW TV Tuner cards and WinXP MCE (media center edition) can handle a wide variety if TV tuner devices such as the Sony ENX-26 TV tuner card]

Wikipedia's definition of Windows Driver Model:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Driver_Model

Wikipedia's definition of Windows Driver Foundation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Driver_Foundation

many graphics/video/tv tuner drivers were NOT covered by the WDM standard. Take the Intel 810 and Intel 852 graphics drivers, for example. These drivers STILL had to use a DRV/VXD driver for Win95/98/ME and SYS driver for Win2000/XP/2003

Edited by erpdude8

I can't, Because the manufacturer of the card and driver is Sony Corporation and they don't support modified systems, Because I have modified mine, I have broken the warrenty, They also wouldn't support the driver since it is publicly available.

smrt.sys has no missing imports using win98se/me ntkern.vxd, your problem derives from smrt.inf not being Signature="$Chicago$". So the inf needs a rewrite, to enable the correct registry additions/alterations for win9x. I.e devloader ntkerrn`s structure, altering any lfn`s (causes driver boot up problems) etc. If you have some time spare, you can try the trial software from jungo on nt (when the cards drivers are installed) to give you some idea of how win9x or Chicago driver infs are created. Also have a look in your windows inf folder at different infs to see how the structure of them differs to a purely nt version