a sample autounattend.xml - working good

I'd like to thank EmRoD for pointing out the %configsetroot% (i have been searching for a variable wich points to the location of the answer file for a long time) , and regarding the drivers in a ConfigurationSet i also found out something very cool , it seems that the setup process searches recursively in the driver path. If your drivers are in "%configsetroot%\Drivers\nvidia" , "%configsetroot%\Drivers\audigy" , etc... , you only need to insert "%configsetroot%\Drivers" into the answer file. I find this very useful , no need to change the answer file when you add/remove drivers :)

PS. this works in both windowsPE and offlineServicing.

, and regarding the drivers in a ConfigurationSet i also found out something very cool , it seems that the setup process searches recursively in the driver path. If your drivers are in "%configsetroot%\Drivers\nvidia" , "%configsetroot%\Drivers\audigy" , etc... , you only need to insert "%configsetroot%\Drivers" into the answer file. I find this very useful , no need to change the answer file when you add/remove drivers :)

PS. this works in both windowsPE and offlineServicing.

That's right, but have a look here, too... cause this is the disadvantage of this method. So it's still a cool way installing drivers but it's NOT installing right away from stick or DVD.

Martin

"%configsetroot%\Drivers"

but have a look here, too... cause this is the disadvantage of this method.

Scary.

So then i'll continue with what i was doing for XP uA. Run a CMD & set the %CDDRIVE% for use thru all other scripts - this was done using CDswitch.

As for me the "%CDRoot%"-variable works perfectly for me and it doesn't copy any folders to %systemroot% - try it ;)

Edited by nDrew

As for me the "%CDRoot%"-variable works perfectly
Hmm, interesting.

Can you explain?

Does the variable need to be set using some tool, is it accessible only thru the xml, or thru batch-files or normal win32 setup environment....

As for me the "%CDRoot%"-variable works perfectly
Hmm, interesting.

Can you explain?

Does the variable need to be set using some tool, is it accessible only thru the xml, or thru batch-files or normal win32 setup environment....

no, it seems to me that WAIK understands it...when I click "Check answer file" - there're no errors...so, i don't know how but it works. I've already installed that way Office 2007 (unattended) and nod32...

I wrote 2 lines in autounattend.xml:

%CDRoot%\soft\Office2007.exe

and

"%CDRoot%\soft\nod32v.2.7.exe" /VERYSILENT /SP- (when using command line parameters I use "" )

Edited by nDrew

@maxXPsoft:

No, I've not tested it yet, but I will the next few hours. Sounds to me that nDrew tested it and it seemed to work for him.

However I'll try out and let you know!

If this should not work, I'll test to run a script from WinPE which will set a variable to use with a removable device and install drivers than during WinPE pass using this "selfmade" variable. Don't know for the moment, if setup is doing a reboot before it's installing drivers during WinPE. Cause than my idea would not work, too.

Martin

Hi all,

I', using a local copy of my vista dvd, put the attached autounattended.xml in the root of that local copy and made a new iso with vlite (latest version). When firing up vmware and using that iso image, I always get an error saying "Windwos could no apply the Windows PE bootstrap setting specified in the uanttednded file".

Any idea???

Kind regards,

shortie

AutoUnattend.xml

Edited by shortie

@maxXPsoft:

No, I've not tested it yet, but I will the next few hours. Sounds to me that nDrew tested it and it seemed to work for him.

However I'll try out and let you know!

If this should not work, I'll test to run a script from WinPE which will set a variable to use with a removable device and install drivers than during WinPE pass using this "selfmade" variable. Don't know for the moment, if setup is doing a reboot before it's installing drivers during WinPE. Cause than my idea would not work, too.

Martin

@FireGeier, we are talking paths here to dvd ideally we dont want full path thought we had it with configsetroot but as you know works,

fair enought you can add to a cleanup.CMD to delete configsetroot from windows folder grab back some Hdrive space but as far as vista go's it any files it is looking for wont goto windows it will be looking for c:\window\configsetroot\ ok that maybey fair enought like old I386 folder if you have mabey a oem machine, but we are talking here about unattend vista for normal peeps not rollouts and syspreping i think the forum needs split up , as was in unattendxp section there was a seperate thread for RIS, also let me know how you get on with %CDRoot% dont have a chance to test tommorrow busy but last time i searched for %CDRoot% on net it turnd up Linux..

P.S. maxxp and myselfe tried %CDRoot% months ago but you never know maybey small typo error can happen.

also have you acctually thought about what nDrew ids saying i,e %CDRoot%\soft\Office2007.exe this aint in PE aint drivers were talking must be adding at <settings pass="oobeSystem">

<component name="Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup"

this is software install after PE vista will access and search for paths then maybey %CDRoot% would work just a thought, we ar all in the same boat MS guidlines are clear to all:)) yeah if you can make head or tail to them:)

Edited by urie

shortie

2 things i would delete from PE

LogPath

PageFile

D usually don't exist during PE since its all in memory at that point. If thats the target drive then its about to be formatted

Logs, look in systemdrive\Windows\panther folder after its installed

also Language Pack is not right, should be

<package action="configure">
<assemblyIdentity name="Microsoft-Windows-Client-LanguagePack-Package" version="6.0.6000.16386" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="de-DE" />

Edited by maxXPsoft

Thanks maxXPsoft,

installation is running now.

One more question : Right before the disk-config dialog setup asks me which os I want to install, the selection box only show ultimate. How can I overwrite this dialog?

Kind regards,

shortie