Hidden tooltips aka tootips not always on top

Speeddymon

Ok, so I used nlite on 2 different CD's, one VLK and one OEM single license, and on both the tooltips (the little box that pops up to show you the date when you point your mouse at the clock) started appearing behind the taskbar.

So I figured it was something to do with nlite, so I started looking around the internet to see if anyone else was having the problem and if there was a fix.

Sure enough people that have never used nlite (that I can tell) are having the problem too, and I finally found a post on google groups that had a supposed fix. Well fortunately I kept reading the thread and toward the bottom, I found the real fix.

So here goes my disclaimer: I found this on the internet and am not responsible for the content in any way, shape or form. If your computer becomes damaged because of this I am not responsible. This is a complete hack that by all means should NOT work but for some reason does. It modifies your registry, so BACK IT UP BEFORE APPLYING this.

The original thread is here, and the post containing this is toward the bottom, so if you have problems post it in that thread.

See the attachment below for the fix.

P.S. This is being cross-posted to the nlite forum so dont complain because I posted to the wrong one, I am posting here for anyone that realizes this has nothing to do with nlite..

Again: YMMV so if you have a problem with it, post to the thread in Google Groups via the link earlier in this post.

tooltips.reg

Edited by Speeddymon

Your posted registry file may have a small issue. \Visu-alEffects\ should be \Visu­alEffects\

Just an FYI. :P

Oddly enough I just double checked it in my own registry and it is the same as in the registry file, and it is working. If I remove and logout/login the tooltips go back to being behind, and once I reapply and re-logoff/on it goes back to being in front.

Like I said YMMV and it shouldnt work, but it does.

EDIT: I double checked the original post and the hyphen is not there (visibly) however when I copy and paste to notepad, it appears. I have re-uploaded the file without the hyphen.

Edited by Speeddymon

I'm unsure why the tooltips.reg file you posted has contents as follows:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Visu-­alEffects\TooltipAnimation]
"SetWindowPos"="HwndInsertAfter, Hwnd_Top"
"SetForegroundWindow"=dword:00000001

When it should be this:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Visu­alEffects\TooltipAnimation]

I checked this in both Notepad and Notepad++.

I'm unsure why the tooltips.reg file you posted has contents as follows:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Visu-­alEffects\TooltipAnimation]

When it should be this:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Visu­alEffects\TooltipAnimation]

I checked this in both Notepad and Notepad++.

Strange byte you got there.

tooltipsregvi7.png

As I said, this was taken from Google Groups, the code is not mine. Why it has a hyphen in it I dunno and why it works with the hyphen I dunno. @Tarun, read the post directly above yours.

Hell I'm gonna edit the first post now so it dont have the **** hyphen because it isnt in the original post on GG but it gets pasted when I paste into notepad... who knows?

Edited by Speeddymon

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

so has there ever ben a fix for this or is everyone who finds this annoying just screwed. I found some guy that is selling a program online that fixes this but screw paying for it. Is this reg file for sure or not cuase i dont feel like infecting or bonking up my good working computer.

Doesn't seem to me that this is that hard of a problem to remedy. But who knows, im too lazy to look through the code nor would i know what to do once i got there. someone give me the scoop please.

Travibe@cox.net