BDD 2007

Has anyone been using the new BDD 2007 tools to build an XP image. I have and have been having a few problems whihc I've largely ironed out.

I'm keen to hear what other peoples experiences have been and maybe share some ideas on using it effectively for XP as it's different than building a Vista image with it.

• 2 weeks later...

I am currently trying to build and deploy Windows XP SP2 Images as well but am not familiar with the adding drivers for universal machines, applications, patches , etc. I have created a build and captured it and redeployed it as an image. Now I want to add content to it and create a golden image for my machines. Any help that you can provide I would appriciate on adding simple patches and apps.

I've only just started playing with BDD2007 so I can't help you too much there, however for info on adding drivers, etc to make a universal image, check out this site. It has a Flash video that shows you step-by-step instructions on how to make a universal image. Can't get easier than that.

http://www.vernalex.com/guides/sysprep/video.shtml

Sir Timbit

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
apparantly if you are going for BDD 2007 to deploy XP images, you'll encounter problems to create the image.

you must first create a vista build (have a share ready) and update this build, before you can distribute XPs.

Really? Interesting. I have WDS set up and have been adding images thru WDS.

My problem with BDD was that I could add WIMS and full source files for an OS, but anything I added using BDD wouldn't show up when I went to image a computer. Only the images I created using WDS showed up. So I kind of quit trying to figure out why.. although it would be nice if I could figure how to work it, since the drivers install could easily be done this way.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, i have been trying for 2 days now, and its cool =)

Only i have the same problem, using WDS i deploy images true the network.

And i use BDD to create a OS, unattended file, drivers and applications.....and how the *** do i get this on a WIM image or make the WDS use that configs or deploy file.....?

• 2 weeks later...

I think you need to use the litetouch PE image and deploy the install to a machine.

After this you run BDD in capture mode to capture the WIM file from the machine.

After this you load it up in WDS, when loaded in WDS you can add the WDS images in BDD under the builds header.

When loaded in WDS it can be deployed. You can choose to use BDD for deploying your images trough the Task sequencer. Or you can associate a unattended file with you WDS image and just manually imagex it to the drive.

• 1 month later...

i've been using bdd 2007 for a couple of months now, i used bdd 2005 (or whatever the previous one was) for a few months last year as well. I'm not using WDS or RIS or anything, im basically just modifying the LAB method (eg build a PC by booting off a CD or DVD). It works quite well, but as mentioned there are a few bugs you have to iron out before things work exactly as you like them.