One single PC installed of XP

rehbar

hello,

I hav a question if it possible Windows XP can run on multipal PCs as 98. I want's to install XP on only one Single pc and after installtional i wants to use this hard disk on Multipal PCs without reinstalling Windows XP. I had used 98Sec as this way and this work fine on multipal Computers no need to reinstall it. If it could on XP too? If so how can and what to do ? :ph34r:

From my personal experiences, no. You wouldn't even be able to boot, I think.

You can, however, install a WinPE based XP onto the drive, by using a program such as BartPE. The procedure is the same as they way you'd make a bootable USB WinPE (or BartPE) drive. You'd need to however, do this from some other drive (As you won't be able to modify the same drive you booted from).

Google for BartPE USB or XP Live USB

Of course, the caveat is that what you'll be getting in the end isn't the same as a full fledged XP system, but most common programs will work on it. If you wan't more compatibility, you can use the files from WinPE Vista. IMHO Vista's WinPE is freely available for download. I'm not sure though about the legal issues on using Vista's WinPE with XP's WinPE, so you might want to check that out first.

Edited by [deXter]

I agree with dexter, not possible to use XP on multiple computers.

But there´s a way how to work in XP and that´s live XP CD, some guys did it.

Try to search over net, I think I´ve already seen that somewhere.

btw. it´s ilegal.

You can, however, install a WinPE based XP onto the drive, by using a program such as BartPE.

I made myself a BartPE disk last year and the option is not available anymore with the last versions (it is on the disk I made 3 years ago). Also you needed to erase and create only one partition dedicated to BartPE on the disk.

Actually you can, but:

1. don't think that's legal

2. you need all pc's to have EXACTLY the same configuration.

Nitroshift, even if ALL PCs have exactly the same config, it still won't work the way he'll want it to coz each piece of hardware has a unique serial number that will force him to validate the copy of windows each time he plugs the HDD into a different machine.

just a question for R600,

how comes if you have 20 identical pcs (or any number for that matter) and install one, activate it and then ghost it to the others they dont have to reactivate? iv done this on loads of pcs before and its fine.

I know every system hardware is differ from each other. But i wan't to know which files are revoke XP to run on other system and why?. I know it is not legal but i make an expramint. Can i install XP on C.D?. So i can run it direct from C.D as Herion's boot cd give option mini98.

Sysprep is what you're after, I believe. Sysprep removes most of the machine-specific information about an XP machine, so it can then be imaged onto other machines. The hardware needs to be similar, of course, but it does what you're asking. Read up on it, and play around with it until you're comfortable with it.

There are two things which cause this not to work. The installed HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer) and the Hard disk controller.

There are seven different HAL's provided by Microsoft for Windows XP and compatibility between them is impossible, or limited depending upon the HAL you started with and what you are trying to go to.

Then by default Windows only knows about the HDD controller that it was used when Windows was installed. SO if the target machine has a different controller Windows will not be able to boot once drivers start to load. This is the cause of the lovely 0x000000b7 BSOD.

You can do an install of XP and use the ACPI HAL and it will work in ACPI, ACPI Uni-processor, and ACPI Multi-Processor machines but you may lose some power management features and you will not get the full potential of the processor, especially on muti-processor(core) systems. You may also have some problems with drives loading under the standard HAL when they are expecting the UNI or MULTI type HAL's.

You can also manually preinstall additional HDD controllers. This does not work for all controllers but will for some. The easiest way is to do this is to right click the appropriate INF file and select install.

Your other option is to use sysprep, you can install all of the HDD controllers using sysprep. It also has the ability to Upgrade/downgrade the HAL but this is limited to changing between uni and multi processor HALs.

I know every system hardware is differ from each other. But i wan't to know which files are revoke XP to run on other system and why?. I know it is not legal but i make an expramint. Can i install XP on C.D?. So i can run it direct from C.D as Herion's boot cd give option mini98.

rehbar, Hi***s Boot CD is purely ILLEGAL, so please don't mention it again in these forums.

Anyways, you should be googling for "BartPE" or "WinPE" or "Windows XP Live".

Edited by [deXter]

VLK does not need activation and is legal to install on many machines ("volume" license...)

But you are really only using it on one machine at a time. So it doesn't matter.

The problem will be with the drivers/hardware. If the two PCs are identical it will work, otherwise drivers will not work properly.

My problem is that i want's to access ntfs file system in read/write mode only on IDE. So i don't care that it load raid or sata drivers or other settings like power management ..etc of PC.

Edited by Zxian
No discussion of Warez!!!

Booting from a BartPE is easier than plugging your HDD from one machine to the other, so I think you have your answer. You can even use a USB key if you need to transfer data from one PC to an other.

And, just for the record:

I made myself a BartPE disk last year and the option is not available anymore with the last versions (it is on the disk I made 3 years ago). Also you needed to erase and create only one partition dedicated to BartPE on the disk.

Is completely false.

It is perfectly possible to install BartPE on hard disk, and there is no need to have a songle partition for it on the disk, you will need a bootmanager like Grub4DOS, that's all.

You might want to read these:

http://www.911cd.net/forums/index.php?show...c=11150&hl=

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?sho...c=18045&hl=

http://www.911cd.net/forums/index.php?show...c=11226&hl=

and generally search on the 911cd forums for more.

However PE (being it BartPE, Microsoft WinPE, Reatogo, winbuilder HojoPE or similar) is NOT XP, it is a PE (Pre-install Environment) that can be tweaked to "look and feel" like XP.

It has resource and time LIMIT and needs no activation.

jaclaz