Installing an unattended windows from HDD

Hi all..

i wonder, how can i install my unattended windows from hddisk ?? i tried click on the setup.exe and it just installed like none unattended windows ... anyone please help me.. really appreciate it.

regards

Try this place this cmd promt in the location of your XPCD on the hard drive.

I have it move the $OEM$ folder to the i386 folder

You will have to change the tempdrive setting to match what you want.

/tempdrive:G:

Save As InstallXPHD.cmd

@Echo Off 
CLS
Mode 55,5
Color 4F
Echo.
Echo Installing XP
move /y "$OEM$" "i386"
start i386\winnt32.exe /noreboot /tempdrive:G: /unattend:winnt.sif

This will not reboot the computer, instead it adds a entry to the boot.ini

that when selected will continue the install.

win32.exe will only run within Windows. If you are booting to a DOS prompt, you will need to run winnit.exe in which case, there is no boot.ini

He seems to want to install it from Windows

What if he has a OS installed already then there would be a boot.ini

If he has his drive in NTFS then a normal Dos Boot disk would not work as it can not read NTFS

win32.exe will only run within Windows. If you are booting to a DOS prompt, you will need to run winnit.exe in which case, there is no boot.ini

ohh, so we can install unattended windows with MsDOS prompt? thats great ..so all i have to do is booting to a DOS and run winnit.exe in i386 folder? thats all or there is some command to install unattended perfectly?

If he has his drive in NTFS then a normal Dos Boot disk would not work as it can not read NTFS

Yes gunsmoking, i has a OS installed already and for now i'm going to install my xpcd from windows.

by the way, thank you very much gunsmokingman for paying attention to my question. it seem very usefull tips but i need to understand it first before begin installing

Try this place this cmd promt in the location of your XPCD on the hard drive.
My XPCD is on f:\xpcd so i have to place InstallXPHD.cmd on f:\InstallXPHD.cmd is that correct?
You will have to change the tempdrive setting to match what you want.

/tempdrive:G:

if i dont want to change the default tempdrive so i have to set /tempdrive:C: right?

after i did the things i just have to click setup.exe , thats all?

waiting..

thanks

Edited by wan

I assumed that he wanted to install from DOS across the network, in which case, he will be able to read NTFS drives. Seems kind of pointless to install XP locally from a hard drive unless you have no CD ROM or just want to save .30 cents

GEE

Seems kind of pointless to install XP locally from a hard drive unless you have no CD ROM or just want to save .30 cents

because i've no more empty cd to burn .. i've burned 4-5 unattended xpcd . installed well at first but when reboot and after log on ,, it refused to enter window and showed blue screen.. dont know why.

therefore i think the only way to save my money is to try installing my trial unattended windows from hdd.... so i dont have to waste any cd... and only burn it when everything is alright without any error...

Thanks

waiting gunsmokingman ... :hello:

Then all you have to do is click the cmd file in f:\xpcd and that will start the install.

This line will move the $OEM$ to the i386 folder which you must do if

you are installing extra software.

move /y "$OEM$" "i386"
This line start the install
start i386\winnt32.exe /noreboot /tempdrive:G: /unattend:winnt.sif
Seems kind of pointless to install XP locally from a hard drive unless you have no CD ROM or just want to save .30 cents
I disagree I use the install from the HD to test my redo of my UaCD because why waste a disk and the time to burn to

only fine out that you have made a mistake. Then when I have tested the install I then burn the CD.

Another Note which I forgot is you have to change the winnt.bat

The Winnt.bat I use for a HD install

@rem SetupMgrTag

@echo off

for %%i in (C: D: E: F: G: H: I: J: K: L: M: N: O: P: Q: R: S: T: U: V: W: X: Y: Z:) do if exist %%i\SETUP.exe set CDROM=%%i

rem

rem This is a SAMPLE batch script generated by Setup Manager.

rem If this script is moved from the location where it was generated, it may have to be modified.

rem

set AnswerFile=.\winnt.sif

set SetupFiles=%CDROM%:\i386

.\i386\winnt32 /s:%SetupFiles% /unattend:%AnswerFile% /copysource:lang

The Winnt.bat I use for a CD install

@rem SetupMgrTag

@echo off

for %%i in (C: D: E: F: G: H: I: J: K: L: M: N: O: P: Q: R: S: T: U: V: W: X: Y: Z:) do if exist %%i\SETUP.exe set CDROM=%%i

rem

rem This is a SAMPLE batch script generated by Setup Manager.

rem If this script is moved from the location where it was generated, it may have to be modified.

rem

set AnswerFile=.\unattend.txt

set SetupFiles=%CDROM% :\i386

%CDROM%:\i386\winnt32 /s:%SetupFiles% /unattend:%AnswerFile% /copysource:lang

Edited by gunsmokingman

I disagree I use the install from the HD to test my redo of my UaCD because why waste a disk and the time to burn to

only fine out that you have made a mistake. Then when I have tested the install I then burn the CD.

Isn't that what VMWare is for?

Then all you have to do is click the cmd file in f:\xpcd and that will

start the install.

i clicked the cmd file in f:\xpcd but error message pop up - windows cannot find 'i386\winnt32.exe'. ....

when i clicked cmd file in f:\xpcd\cmdfile the error also pop up - the specified setup script file (m:\xpcd\winnt.sif) is inaccessible or invalid

but this time it did move $OEM$ folder to i386 folder ...

---

when i clicked the cmd file in f:\xpcd\i386\cmdfile the error is - windows cannot find 'i386\winnt32.exe'

and this time nothing changed or moved ...

So what was wrong with the command in the cmd file.. and what should i change in the cmdfile ?

this is my path f:\xpcd\i386

One more, i couldn't find winnt.bat file to modify it... where is it?

Gee

anyway.. is there alternative to test the xpcd , i think installing it from hdd is more perfect and better than virtual machine.

but in any case i must learn how to install my xpcd from any medium possible.. just to know how.. maybe someday in some conditions it would be very useful..

okey.

Then all you have to do is click the cmd file in f:\xpcd and that will

start the install.

i clicked the cmd file in f:\xpcd but error message pop up - windows cannot find 'i386\winnt32.exe'. ....

when i clicked cmd file in f:\xpcd\cmdfile the error also pop up - the specified setup script file (m:\xpcd\winnt.sif) is inaccessible or invalid

---

when i clicked the cmd file in f:\xpcd\i386\cmdfile the error is - windows cannot find 'i386\winnt32.exe'

and this time nothing changed or moved ...

So what was wrong with the command in the cmd file.. and what should i change in the cmdfile ?

this is my path f:\xpcd\i386

One more, i couldn't find winnt.bat file to modify it... where is it?

Gee

anyway.. is there alternative to test the xpcd , i think installing it from hdd is more perfect and better than virtual machine.

but in any case i must learn how to install my xpcd from any medium possible.. just to know how.. maybe someday in some conditions it would be very useful..

okey.

Here is where I put the cmd. The last HD installed worked fine that I tested.

XpCD_HDInstall.png

this quote explained that what i did was same as your picture attachment.

I run cmdfile from xpcd folder and then the error messsage was - specified setup script file (m:\xpcd\winnt.sif) is inaccessible or invalid .

it just moved the $OEM$ folder to i386 folder.

waitt!... i see the winnt.sif in ur xpcd folder... not in your i386 folder! . U did not inform me before to move the winnt.sif from i386 to xpcd folder ! Is it save to move the winnt.sif from it folder???

Try placing the sif in the same location.

Did you change the winnt.bat

yes i will.

i didnt change the winnt.bat file since there are no winnt.bat file in my xpcd, but i created it and put in the same location as you said.

i made my xpcd with nlite and also use RunOnceEx to install some application from $OEM$ folder.

So creating the winnt.bat is just necesssary in order to install my xpcd from hdd?? is't it?

i will do all what you said and start installing windows .. and let you know later if i succeed or not... okey :hello:

thanks for ur great help :hello:

Edited by wan