Applying registry tweaks during Vista install

First of all I'm not even sure if I'm posting in the correct forum, but I've done a ton of searching and this one seems to be the most related to what I'm trying to do.

In XP, to install a registry tweak file during setup (before first logon), I would use the $OEM$ folder. In that folder I would have 2 files: regtweak.reg & cmdlines.txt

Inside cmdlines.txt would be written:

[COMMANDS]

"REGEDIT /S regtweak.reg"

I understand the basic concept of the new system in Vista, with autoattend.xml, but I don't quite grasp how to set things up in order the accomplish the same goal.

I have no interest at this point in going through setup completely unattended, so using the autoattend file to apply the registry tweaks is my only aim. Is this the easiest way to do things (or even possible?) If so, what would the autoattend.xml file look like, and exactly where would I place my regtweak.reg file on the DVD directory (or would it be placed on a USB memory stick / etc., with the autoattend file?)

Once again I apologize if this has already been answered but I've done quite a bit of reading on this and I seem to be getting more confused as I go on :wacko:

Try putting them in the Scripts directory and make a cmdlines.cmd (or .bat?, not sure here) with your commands in it. From what I understand any .cmd in the scripts directory will be executed (some one correct me if i'm wrong, i'm going on memory here).

First of all I'm not even sure if I'm posting in the correct forum, but I've done a ton of searching and this one seems to be the most related to what I'm trying to do.

In XP, to install a registry tweak file during setup (before first logon), I would use the $OEM$ folder. In that folder I would have 2 files: regtweak.reg & cmdlines.txt

Inside cmdlines.txt would be written:

[COMMANDS]

"REGEDIT /S regtweak.reg"

I understand the basic concept of the new system in Vista, with autoattend.xml, but I don't quite grasp how to set things up in order the accomplish the same goal.

I have no interest at this point in going through setup completely unattended, so using the autoattend file to apply the registry tweaks is my only aim. Is this the easiest way to do things (or even possible?) If so, what would the autoattend.xml file look like, and exactly where would I place my regtweak.reg file on the DVD directory (or would it be placed on a USB memory stick / etc., with the autoattend file?)

Once again I apologize if this has already been answered but I've done quite a bit of reading on this and I seem to be getting more confused as I go on :wacko:

Hello Spooky!

Thanks for the hint! You have to name the script SetupComplete.cmd and put it to %Windir%\Setup\Scripts.

This script will be executed AT THE END of setup BEFORE a User is loged on. That gave me the impression that it's doing the same like cmdlines.txt for XP.

So I put REGEDIT /S %Systemdrive%\Install\Regtweaks.reg to SetupComplete.cmd. The Regtweaks.cmd is copied to %Systemdrive%\Install using $OEM$ and includes your HKCU tweak which is removing the word shortcut (thanks, for sharing!).

At the end of setup I've a very strange situation:

If I open regedit and browse to Current_Users\.Default\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer than I can see the right value for links from your tweak. But if I create a new user, it will NOT inherrit this value from .Default!

I'm trying to find out for days now, if this happens cause I'm still working with Vista RC1 or is this simple the way it is?

So any confirmation from anybody for this would be highly appreciated!!! :hello:

Thanks,

Martin

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Guys,

I have a tweak i need to install as well that is required to be common accross the board for all users.

I will try the method mentioned using the SetupComplete.cmd placed in %Windir%\Setup\Scripts, but I would like to add that if you want the settings to be inherited to other users, then you will more than likely have to apply the tweak as the SuperUser Administrator account that gets disabled from my understanding if you do not set the two OOBE settings in unattend/autounattend.xml to both true.

If the OOBE is not set to true then on first run you will be prompted to enter a new user, and although the user is an Administrator on the machine, It's not priveleged enough to apply the settings for other users of the machine as my understanding is.

I'd like a confirmation on my theory as well.

Gwido