ces 2007

ripken204

well ces 2007 is here and i am already exciting about all of the things i am hearing, such as a 1TB hdd for 400$ from hitachi, or the new gfx cards from ati, and who knows, maybe from nvidia. maybe we can see some quad core action from intel too, or possibly from amd.

Edited by ripken204

http://www.cesweb.org/default.asp

jan 8-11 las vegas..

i want to see better cpu's not quadruple, exponential, etc cpu's. maybe faster rams, faster hdd's!! don't care about 1TB, its easy to accomplish by adding hdd's. speed & accuracy is the hard part. i'd want that to get accomplished.

and i'd like to see carbonfiber laptops, mine keeps getting heavier :D

Edited by XtremeMaC

lol, well i cant wait to see the 300TB hdd in a few years. anyways, here is an amazing pic that makes me want to lay down and cry!

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=36764

http://www.newlaunches.com/archives/lgphil..._100_inches.php

http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/tech/20060...18081211780.htm

it is also likely that amd will have 2xquad core mobos. and possibly in 2 years, a gpu/cpu combo.

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=36765

Edited by ripken204

don't care about 1TB, its easy to accomplish by adding hdd's. speed & accuracy is the hard part

Well, I also want to see faster disks, but being the mechanical things they are (and the way they work), I doubt we'll see them get much faster. If anything, they'll get replaced by solid state/flash based disks instead.

As far as 1TB disks go, I'm very much interested to see them. Adding disks does work right now, but if you have serious storage needs (doing AV work, having a video server, media collection, tons of DSLR RAW files and also lots of TIFF & PSD files, having lots of virtual machines, test databases and what not - and then making backups of it all!), you quickly need an awful lot of HDs. I don't need super-fast PCs myself, but I need several TBs of storage. And that requires me to have dozens of HDs (using mainly 320GB'ers right now). Dozens of HDs each creating noise and heat, which also end up requiring a lot of PATA/SATA connectors and controllers (good SATA RAID cards are ridiculously expensive!), and many PSU connectors too. Cheap 1TB models would be a godsend as far as I'm concerned. I'm already happy to see the 750GB come down in price to a much more reasonable price:capacity ratio. 1GB drives at 400$ a pop? I'd likely order a pair.

Speed sure is important for an OS drive, AV work, photo editing and such, but for things like a media server (which will be streaming video @ ~1mbit) and such things it's a total non-issue. So even if speed isn't improved, I'm still all for bigger disks. Although I wouldn't consider those too news-worthy -- companies have been making bigger HDs every few months for years and years.

well everyone needs storage but say u have 1TB of hdd.

u've windows running on it, u've your virtual machines running on it, u've everything running on it, poor little hdd. how on earth is it going to answer your needs? the drive's rpm is obvious.

it is pretty inefficient to have 1tb of hdd at same rpm. instead i'd get 2 of 0.5T and i'd speed things up..

and have you considered, u'd be backing up, writing those virtual machine data's quickly with quicker hdd's..raw images, u can write them faster..

yes i know its a hard process to speed things up, but i'm just saying i'd prefer speed over TB's of storage..

i don't know if u remember but back in couple of years, ppl only had 4200rpm, 5400rpm, to them getting a 7200rpm hdd was like getting a new computer, everything ran faster. windows booted up faster, windows wrote virtual memory on hdd faster, games ran & loaded faster...

there are tape drives which are very slow, they also have high capacities, why not prefer them? bc of speed right...

Edited by XtremeMaC

I guess it's a matter of different uses/priorities really. A HD for an OS will always seem tot slow (same for OSes inside VMs). RAID0 sure helps.

As far as RPMs go, yes, it helps for speed, but my point was, speed is a non-issue for many scenarios. I still have a few 5400rpm HDs I'm using for backups. Besides my OS drives (a tiny portion of my storage), I have TONS of data that just sits there, just in case you'd feel like using it (sitting there doing nothing for the most part). And when you do, speed is largely irrelevant - like streaming mp3's to the family PC or mpeg4 files to XBMC. A ATA33 4200rpm drive is already overkill for that (speed wise), but there's no such thing as too much space.

And I forgot to mention, not only you have to plug all these HDs, but you also have to put them somewhere. I've bought 2 monster towers just because of that (a thermaltake armor, and recently a coolermaster stacker with 3 extra 3-to-4 bay converter thingies and 2nd PSU), plus quiet cooling fans to prevent a meltdown without turning deaf. Gets expensive... I can only afford it because I'm plugging them on cheap sabrent silicon image *PCI* SATA software RAID cards (yes, plain old PCI!)

With bigger drives, I could have smaller & cheaper (and lighter) cases, less fans making noise, less RAID cards, less wiring mess, less PSUs, less HDs spinning making even more noise and heat (requiring me to run 2 large ACs 24/7 during summer, costing more $), less drives for backups, less drive letters, etc. Couldn't care less if they were slower, as they're sitting 99% idle anyways. If anything (besides being bigger), I'd pick lower power usage & heat, quieter and higher reliability/quality.

well we obviosly differ at some point, but if its backup we're talking about, hdd's that are laying around idle..well u might be right, but i don't back up as much data as u do.. i do put them on dvd's, in the future blueray or hd-dvd.

good thing the hdd's shut theirselves down thesedays while they're not used, so less noise less of everything..

u could go 15000 rpm, 100gig on main hdd and for backup purposes 1tb's fine.....

i am totally up for faster rmp, but at what cost? you see how much a 10k 150gig raptor costs! its just insane and its not enough storage for me. i debated about spending 200+$ getting it or 95$ on a 320gig seagate, and i picked the right choice. that doesnt mean that i dont want a raptor, i really do, but space comes first for me, then speed. so most likely i will get a raptor in the future..

btw, 108" lcd!!!

tv440.jpg

Edited by ripken204

I have no idea why the front page is devoid of any CES 2007 content. I mean like Apple just released a touch-screen iPod, a phone, and an internet communicator! I repeat...an iPod, a phone, and an internet communicator. An iPod, a phone...you get the point.

Almost forgot the link...http://news.com.com/1606-2_3-6148642.html?tag=ne.video.6148197

Edited by Aegis

I have no idea why the front page is devoid of any CES 2007 content. I mean like Apple just released a touch-screen iPod, a phone, and an internet communicator! I repeat...an iPod, a phone, and an internet communicator. An iPod, a phone...you get the point.

Almost forgot the link...http://news.com.com/1606-2_3-6148642.html?tag=ne.video.6148197

Actually, it's full of it, under "latest hardware news". Mind you "yet another mp3 player" (happens all the time) and "yet another cell phone" (nokia et al do this like everyday) is hardly what I'd call news. That 108" LCD TV is on there.

Correction: The iPhone is a touch-screen iPod, a phone, and an Internet communicator. It is only one device, not three.

Keyboards aren't fashion statements, they're input devices. What I want is a GOOD keyboard (and if it looks nice then bonus, but it's totally optional). Couldn't care less the colors of the keys, it's not like I sit there and stare at the keyboard all day (that's what monitors are for) If they ever make a version with good buckling spring switches (likely never), I might still consider buying one...