Auto-Activate XP on Install

Kev_83

Posted this on another couple forums but still waiting on a reply as yet. I forgot the memebr's name who tried helping me with code, but it left me stumped.

DISCLAIMER : sorry if i don't understand your reply, but i'm not too good with a whole heap of jargon, code & such like

I've seen elsewhere that this is possible.

1 method : was to backup the wpa.dbl file. When you go to slipstream all the new updates in with XP on a backup XP CD, you put this file in the SYSTEM32 folder, so that it installs automatically. Another way, similar, was to open XP in safe mode, and then take the backup off of say, a floppy, and put the file in the WINDOWS/SYSTEM32 folder.

Now, i've seen some say this works, and others say it just does not.

Now, i have LEGIT cds of xp home sp2, and xp pro sp2. Legit CDs and legit keys.

Everytime i format & then re-install, i don't want to be calling up MS.

So i'd just like to know, for deffinate, a way of making it so that my windows XP is activated upon install.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

P.S. I am aware that this will more than likely only install on the PC it's already activated on. This is fine with me as, anything other than this 1) i know is illegal and 2) looks too fricken hard for me to try

http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/view/web/29/

just went there & it mentioned again the menthod i posted above.

I'm guessing that those complaining it didn't work, possibly tried it on a computer OTHER THAN the one it was originally activated on? Whereas i'm only wanting to activate on the PC it is on now.

Now, it gave $OEM$\$$\system32 as the place to put the file. I've put in bold, the bit that confused me.

Am i just to copy my wpa.dbl / wpa.bak / wpabaln files, 2 of, or all 3, to the I386 folder on the Win XP CD (as i saw a WPA.DB_ file there), or do i go into the I386 folder and put them into the system 32 folder?

It's the bit with all the $$ symbols that confuses me. I know the "\" signifies a new folder or directory, but there's no "$OEM$" folder on my XP Pro CD, there's also no "$$" folder.

IN ADDITION:

I wouldn't mind knowing how to install other apps at the same time as installing XP Pro ... Office XP, Shockwave, Java, Windows Live Messenger, WinRAR, Cool Edit Pro, Power DVD, DVD X Copy, Nero, Real Player, Quicktime <-- these are all things i have installed on the PC now & wouldn't mind installing them all at the same time as XP.

But i don't know how.

I saw a piece about installing progs, but then there was talk of batch files?? :wacko::wacko: And more $$$ symbols for folders.

As i obviously don't know any of that, is there any chance i can install these progs?

1st things 1st though .... the activating win xp automatically question....?

Thanks.

It's the bit with all the $$ symbols that confuses me. I know the "\" signifies a new folder or directory, but there's no "$OEM$" folder on my XP Pro CD, there's also no "$$" folder.
You have to create the folders yourself...

Copy your XP CD-Rom to a folder on your HDD and create a folder named $OEM$ and inside that one create a folder named $$ and add the above files... Now create a bootable ISO of the XP CD files and done

You can also check out this tool by siginet called the OEM A.C.T. http://siginet.ryanvm.net/forum/viewforum....21d7839ae9552de

OEM A.C.T. (OEM Activation Control Technology) This is a method that allows you to create a Windows XP Setup disk that has Multiple Manufacturer oembios.* files on it. During installation a script is run that determines what oembios.* files are needed for the system so that you will have a pre-activated install. This will help lessen the times that you need to call Microsoft for activation.

Installing program automatically you should download nLite and/or the RyanVM Integrator and here is a small list of addons/programs you can add to your XP CD http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511

More addons http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showforum=132

More addons http://www.wincert.net/forum/index.php?showforum=88

Edited by ricktendo64

thanks for the reply.

So to double check i have this understood....

in the folder i've copied all my XP files to, i create a NEW folder [$OEM$] in that folder theres a [$$] folder in THAT folder there's a [system32] folder and then i put the wpa files in there??

I have read a bit about these OEM machines straight out of a specific shop, say, dell for example. Mine isn't one of those though. I just bought an OEM xp pro as it was cheaper than the retail version.

If you could just confirm i've now understood the auto-activate thing, then that'd be great. Thanks for your help.

thanks for the reply.

So to double check i have this understood....

in the folder i've copied all my XP files to, i create a NEW folder [$OEM$] in that folder theres a [$$] folder in THAT folder there's a [system32] folder and then i put the wpa files in there??

I have read a bit about these OEM machines straight out of a specific shop, say, dell for example. Mine isn't one of those though. I just bought an OEM xp pro as it was cheaper than the retail version.

If you could just confirm i've now understood the auto-activate thing, then that'd be great. Thanks for your help.

Yes.

So your wpa files should be in:

C:\xpcd\$OEM$\$$\system32

where C:\XPCD is the folder you copy your CD to. In case you wanted to know what this all means:

$OEM$ is a folder that Windows setup automatically scans for files and copies what is in there to C: from a couple of folders:

$$ means anything in here gets copied to C:\Windows (so because you have system32 in $$ and wpa files in system32, those files get copied to C:\Windows\System32

$1 means anything in here gets copied to C:\

This is handy for installing applications, running registry tweaks, etc after install, as it is all on your C drive for you.

Edited by Speeddymon

• 2 weeks later...

I've kept meaning to come back to reply here for the past few days but keep forgetting :D

Well, i put the backup files in said folder & basically just a note to anyone reading this who is feeling like trying it ... DON'T

I did it as said in the above posts, formatted & went to install again, and i STILL needed to activate Windows manually. Infact when i came to go to my desktop for the first time, i was told at that point i needed to activate as well.

I restarted in safe mode, put the files into the System32 folder manually, and it still didn't work.

Intergrating the packs etc was fine, but this method to get round activation does not work.