Totaly Wireless Domain

ethanmcf

Hello

i have recntly, bought Windows Server 2003

and wanted to make a Domain Controller, that was Wi Fi, now

these are my problems....

The Server has no Wired Connection to the router.

I Have another Client Machine that i wish to use on the domain,

again this is Wireless

And also a laptop :) and i bet you guessed itright, its another wireless device.

Can any1 help me, step by step on how to sucessfully set up a wireles Domain COntroller, with DHCP, so my other computers can connect to it, yet also have access to the internet, without going throught the Server First.

so then i can access the internet with my server being off and on :)

Thank you

Ethan. :D

Hello!

Warning: No step-by-step here, just a few comments!

From what I read in your post, the server is not online the whole time, and wireless might have glitches or whatever,

so I would use the DHCP capabilities of the router instead of the DC.

Generally, give wired connection to the DC and as many computers as possible.

Make sure encryption is in place. WPA, not WEP.

(Configure the router. recent routers have a lot of capabilities in this area!)

I recommend giving the server(s) static IP address.

The router is the default gateway, firewall (if it can do it, enable it!), DHCP-server.

The DC is the server with the user accounts database and stuff like that.

You join your servers to the domain, and give permissions to domain users.

DC has nothing to do with internet access! The DHCP parameters should give the clients the proper settings.

Adding clients to the domain:

Wireless or wired connection should not matter.

(to be onest, I havent tried a wireless DC myself, and by the number of replies you are getting... not many others either :-)

On the client, right click My Computer/Properties/Computer Name/Change and join the domain.

Use a Domain Administrator account defined on the Domain Controller to authorize the add.

If this doesn't work, I strongly feel you have other issues than the wireless scenario. You can easily eliminate the wireless as a cause by connecting the computers (DC + a test client) with a normal switch and ethernet cables to test the domain.

Of course, if it doesn't work while wired, it will not when wireless either!

If you give more details, you might get better help!

Good luck!

Edited by aquarius

thanks for the Reply dude,

well i cant link my DC Wired, they all HAVE to be Wireless, thats the problem

because of the distace between the Router and the DC.

My Router Supports DHCP, Firewall, all that.

but how would i tell the DC to actually know that it needs to associate with the Router

I couldnt even make a Wired DC, let alone a wireless, but its soo much easier, to get the jobs done.

Thanks

Ethan

I dont want to offended but you really should know how to set up a dc if you have a MCSE. That's fairly basic stuff.

if you read these 2 guides that should give some good idea as to how to go about it

http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_install_acti...indows_2003.htm

http://www.petri.co.il/create_a_new_dns_server_for_ad.htm

with regard to running it on wifi over wired it should make no difference if its just the 1 server in the forest. regardless as to how you will eventually use it it will be MUCH better if you can hardwire 1 client to it during setup just to make sure its working as expected.

with regard to telling the dc to associate the the router that should be just like any wifi client. the computer will use any available network link wired or wireless.

No offence taken, i can do it using Server 2000, but for some strange reason, 2K3 just wont do it. it has worked fine in the past. but, not again.

I wil have a look at the links, yea, it is the Only DC, but isit a problem, that EVERYTHING is wireless, i cant really work around to have a Wired connection ... isit worth my Multi booting my PC, so if Server fails, i can just go back to XP?

Hello!

The DC is just another device in that respect, just set it up with automatic IP, gateway, DNS as you would any laptop.

You don't need to associate the DC with the router.

I really think you should move the DC and a test computer to the router room (or within the reach of 10m cables :) to test it! When adding a client to the domain, and logging on to a client with a domain user works using wired LAN, then move it to the wireless net.

Keep it simple! ;)

dude, you seen the size of the Server lol, :D

but i will link up the Server wired and also a laptop wired, disabling the wifi Chips on both, then make sure it works

if it works, move them back, enable the Wi fi and it will (should) work :D

Thanks

Ethan

Sure, use the other router! Just eliminate the wireless for the test.

It must be set up with DHCP and the necessary stuff of course.

If it still fails with the test router you can begin searching for causes other than WiFi.

Basic networking first. (Remember that ping might be blocked by client firewalls)

Time to log out for me, good luck!

dont worry about multi boot as if the dc dies you should still have your profile cached on the laptop/pc which will let you log in or if that fails you still have the local administrator account on the pc which you can choose at the logon screen.

Allso, if you have other 2k3/2k servers in the domain (defined as domain servers), I think they will cooperate as Backup Domain Controllers should the DC fail. Still, I would treat the Domain Controller as a critical component, a dedicated server, and no multiboot or other stuff that complicate things.

Make good backups!!

Keep it as simple as possible, it will become complex enough soon!

Don't install any kind of application or code that does not pertain to it's role as a Domain Controller!!! (goes for any kind of server)

Regards,

)chicken fish(

Hey Guys, no luck, but what i did find is that the Domain works Wirelessly on VMWare, which isnt a problem at the moment

BUT, none of the computers can connect to it, they find the Domain, become part of it, but then, when i restart, and go to logon it says that the PERSONALTEST Domain is not avaliable, is this because of the WiFi Cards, not automatically Conecting to the Network, before logon,

if not how can i make them connect :D

Thanks

Ethan