Used nLite on Dell Reinstallation DVD -> WFP comes up a lot now...

Windopain

I have never seen WFP prompt me to insert original install CDs before but now that I have use nLite to make a installation CD from a Dell Reinstallatoin DVD it is coming up after every driver install (mouse, video, sound, monitor, etc). Does anyone else know why this might be the case? I have been told WFP is usually on but again, I've never seen this happen with ALL of my device drivers before...

Any info would be great,

Thanks!

The easiest way is to remake the disc, and under the options section, in the patches tab, disable SFC.

You can also search the forums or google for Disable SFC

To do it on your running copy, go to System Properties (Right click My Computer, click properties), Hardware tab, click Driver signing, and click ignore. Make sure the check box at the bottom is checked, click ok, ok again, and reboot.

I did see that option but I have been told that Windows File Protection is usually NOT disabled. I have never seen it activate this often though; it seems to me like something with the nLite install is causing it to work incorrectly... Maybe I'm misinformed/wrong, I'm no expert here.

I have never seen WFP prompt me to insert original install CDs before but now that I have use nLite to make a installation CD from a Dell Reinstallatoin DVD it is coming up after every driver install (mouse, video, sound, monitor, etc). Does anyone else know why this might be the case? I have been told WFP is usually on but again, I've never seen this happen with ALL of my device drivers before...

Any info would be great,

Thanks!

Known issue. It isn't anything to do with the PC being a Dell or the fact that it's on a DVD.

It's triggered by slipstreaming or integrating SP2.

If SP2 isn't slipstreamed or integrated, this problem isn't known to occur.

Edited by RJARRRPCGP

Any info would be great,

Thanks!

Known issue. It isn't anything to do with the PC being a Dell or the fact that it's on a DVD.

It's triggered by slipstreaming or integrating SP2.

If SP2 isn't slipstreamed or integrated, this problem isn't known to occur.

This must only happen on certain CD's then cause I have an OEM (non-corp) Pro SP1 Hologram CD that I slipstreamed SP2 to, and I have no problems. I have been using nlite on that for a while now.

SP2 was slipstreamed onto this installation before I ever touched it, but yes it does have SP2.

I don't want to turn it off because I have been working on writing my own DLLs (learning to that is) and I would rather have that extra layer of protection while I'm mucking around.

Do we have any more details about the issue? Such as, when I am putting the Windows disk back in, is there a problem using these DLLs? Is Windows not recognizing signatures on the new DLLs and detecting them as bad because of that?

Is there a third party program I can install that will watch over the DLLs and other system files that WFP watches?

Lastly, is there a way I can cache these DLLs on my hard drive so I don't need to re-insert the CD all the time?

Thanks,

Dave

SP2 was slipstreamed onto this installation before I ever touched it, but yes it does have SP2.

Figures. Unless you disable Windows File Protection, you're required to click "Cancel" when installing some drivers.

Edited by RJARRRPCGP

maybe this thread would help: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=89231&st=0 ... specifically, this:

If you are using a royalty oem machine you can easily make a disk with pre-activation files on it. Search for oemscan here at msfn. If you are using a dell, hp, gateway, etc... system, this is the easiest and best method to bypass having to call microsoft.

You can get some integrator addons I made using oemscan here:

http://siginet.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=61

hope you find the following discussions helpful too so as to minimize prompts or prevent WFP & SFC from bothering you: :P

(1) OEMScan - Automated Multi Manufacture Pre-Activation Utility

(2) Building a Pre-activated CD from an existing installation

(3) Trouble with slipstream Dell OEM Win XP

(4) advantages of disabling SFC, and the disadvantages.

likewise, to quote:

The easiest way is to remake the disc, and under the options section, in the patches tab, disable SFC.
... it'd help too if you delete .CAT files
Security catalog files are used to make the System File Protection feature

aware of the fact that a version of one or more files which is different

from the original on the installation CD needs to be installed and that it

should be accepted.

just to share, this info i have always find useful:
... SFCFILES.DLL by the way works on ALL versions of Windows, just to clear that up. SFC.DLL and SFC_OS.DLL are different matters entirely. You can use SFCFILES.DLL and no other modified binaries and SFC will be disabled. To recap, for the confused :D

To shut Windows File Protection off:

Use a modified SFC.DLL in Windows 2000

Use a modified SFC_OS.DLL in Windows XP and Windows 2003

No need for a modified SFCFILES.DLL

To disable Windows File Protection causing it to check an empty list:

Use a modified SFCFILES.DLL in ANY version of Windows

No need for a modified SFC*.DLL

For complete overkill, so that Windows File Protection is shut off AND has an empty list which it doesn't even check:

Use a modified SFC.DLL in Windows 2000

Use a modified SFC_OS.DLL in Windows XP and Windows 2003

AND Use a modified SFCFILES.DLL in ANY version of Windows

... use of custom version of sfc.dll, sfc_os.dll or sfcfiles.dll may prevent the numerous prompts you're getting ... :P Edited by Kiki Burgh

I don't want to turn it off because I have been working on writing my own DLLs (learning to that is) and I would rather have that extra layer of protection while I'm mucking around.

Do we have any more details about the issue? Such as, when I am putting the Windows disk back in, is there a problem using these DLLs? Is Windows not recognizing signatures on the new DLLs and detecting them as bad because of that?

Is there a third party program I can install that will watch over the DLLs and other system files that WFP watches?

Lastly, is there a way I can cache these DLLs on my hard drive so I don't need to re-insert the CD all the time?

Thanks,

Dave

If you are learning to write your own dll's SFC isnt going to protect them by default, so having it on shouldn't matter, unless you are modifying the windows dll's, and then your problem is that yes, you are modifying the files, and so therefore windows thinks the sig is wrong and tries to restore the files..

Third party program I dont think.

As far as caching the files, try changing the SourcePath, ServicePackSourcePath, and 'Installation Sources' values located in the registry at:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup