"Save As" and access to C drive slow

pepsoid

I have recently started getting a little flashlight, which "searches" for about half a minute before enabling me to access the C drive. Similarly, it takes about the same amount of time to "Save As" any type of file, before allowing me to select a folder to save to. There is no problem when I access a folder within the C drive directly, via a shortcut, or "Save" (rather than "Save As")...

I have thoroughly scanned for viruses via AVG and nothing has been picked up.

I'm hoping it's not just that my several-years-old PC is getting irreperably knackered!

Help...?? :wacko:

Peps

It could be that your system is trying to populate the device list. ie, it wants to show you a list of your hard drives and optical drives. Maybe you have a CD/DVD in a drive that is taking a while to read?

It could be that your system is trying to populate the device list. ie, it wants to show you a list of your hard drives and optical drives. Maybe you have a CD/DVD in a drive that is taking a while to read?

Or a network mapped drive?

Thank you for your suggestions! ;)

However... I don't have a CD or DVD in either of the drives, I have not tried it in safe mode, and I don't have a network mapped drive (at least I don't think so - I am not part of a network, except in that both the PC and my girlfriend's Mac share a broadband connection)...

Erm...

Help (again)...? :huh:

First, you didn't answer my question - does it happen in safe mode? If it does, it could be a hardware issue. If it doesn't, it's a driver or software issue that can be troubleshot somewhat easily. So I ask again - does it happen in safe mode?

After you have tried safe mode, assuming it doesn't happen then, you can gather a complete memory dump from the box while it's hanging like that and I can likely tell you where the problem lies (this requires a PS/2 keyboard attached):

1. Create or set the following registry value:

Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\i8042prt\Parameters

Value: CrashOnCtrlScroll

Type: REG_DWORD

Data: 1

2. Right-Click on the "My Computer" icon on the desktop and select "Properties", then click the "Advanced system settings" option in the left-hand pane of the window. On the "Advanced" tab, click "Settings" under the "Performance:" header. Click the "Advanced" tab, then click "Change" under "Virtual Memory". Set the pagefile to be located on the partition where the OS is installed, and set it to be equal to Physical RAM + 50 MB.

3. Also in the "System Properties" window on the "Advanced" tab, click the "Settings" buttun under the "Startup and Recovery" header. Make sure "Complete Memory Dump" is selected (see 3a if this is not in the list). You can change the location of the memory dump file to a different local partition if you do not have enough room on the partition where the OS is installed.

3a. If the "Complete Memory Dump" option in step 3 is not available, you will need to manually set this registry value:

Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CrashControl

Value: CrashDumpEnabled

Type: REG_DWORD

Value: 1

4. You will need to reboot for these changes to take effect.

5. The next time that the system appears to be hanging like you have stated, hold down the RIGHT CTRL key and press the SCROLL LOCK key twice to cause the machine to bugcheck and create a memory dump. After the box comes back up, you'll find the resulting memory dump file in %systemroot%\memory.dmp.

>is there lots of appz installed on urs pc ( c drive) remove the unwantted

>secondly keep urs c drive little empty i mean if its 40 gb drive wherz c is 20 and d is 40 respectively, then try to keep atleast 5 or 6 gb empty in c drive remaining u utilize..

> use defragmentation tool and can possible use a registry cleaner appz like registry repair or registry booster ( they defrag registry too)

sure this will solve urs problem as i also have to face this prob way back

ps: if then also not then.... go for a nice clean format :)

>is there lots of appz installed on urs pc ( c drive) remove the unwantted

>secondly keep urs c drive little empty i mean if its 40 gb drive wherz c is 20 and d is 40 respectively, then try to keep atleast 5 or 6 gb empty in c drive remaining u utilize..

> use defragmentation tool and can possible use a registry cleaner appz like registry repair or registry booster ( they defrag registry too)

ps: if then also not then.... go for a nice clean format :)

I have to disagree with your action plan there,prithvi - one problem and you reformat? I can see if your machine gets infected with a virus, or you have severe security or registry problems, but in my opinion a solvable problem like system slowness or HDD thrashing (or both) doesn't warrant a reformat, ever. And with regards to the actual problem originally posted, if it was a fragmentation or disk full issue (as you touch on in the beginning of your post), he'd get the error when doing a File > Save or browsing the drive itself, which the original poster has stated he does not. This is definitely not a drive full or fragmentation issue, and should not be troubleshot as such. That's just wasting time (as is reinstalling the whole OS and applications as well, with no guarantee that the problem will not return - THEN what?).

reintstall again... then again and again till u become like this :w00t: .... :P lol just kidding

in my case the prob was solved now let see whatz in pepsoid .....

and format is last stage , first check, is there any registry problem or urs pc was infected with any virus .......