Video card for three monitors

tain

I currently use a 128MB Matrox Parhelia to drive my 3 LCD monitors. My resolution is a single desktop at 3840x1024 (1280x1024 for each screen). I'm looking to upgrade my system, so I'll need a PCI Express card to replace this AGP card. The only truly viable solution I can find is the Matrox Parhelia APVe, but I am reluctant to "upgrade" to this card as it doesn't seem much more capable than my current one but is quite pricey. If anyone has the APVe I'd love to hear what they think of it.

So I need a new PCI Express card that has decent performance and can output to all three screens as a single desktop to eliminate the various problems that occur with running three separate desktops. Any suggestions?

I think you are stuck with Matrox, I also found this on Guru3D (Matrox TripleHead2Go Surround Gaming).

I would say that there is a possibility with software running 4 monitors at the same time with ATi or nVidia, but I can’t find any thing about it on Windows 2K/XP/VISTA...

I think you are stuck with Matrox, I also found this on Guru3D (Matrox TripleHead2Go Surround Gaming).

I would say that there is a possibility with software running 4 monitors at the same time with ATi or nVidia, but I can’t find any thing about it on Windows 2K/XP/VISTA...

That is a much better review, in terms of quality, of the Th2Go than I had previously read. Thanks for the link. I have considered the Th2Go but am concerned about the high price of a screaming new card (I probably won't go SLI, right away) plus that $275+ box. But that box does open up the door for many more gaphics card options and upgradeability later. I would be more excited if it had DVI :} Hopefully someone on this board already has this box and can provide their thoughts on it.

I'm not interested in four monitors, but thanks.

ya, the first thing that poped into my head was what puntomx posted. i guess you could also use a decent video card with 2 outputs and a pci card..
Doesn't that option leave me with three different desktops? Or does nvidia have software that can make that configuration emulate a single desktop?

TAiN,

My thoughts on it: You have screens with 1280*1024 on an nVidia card then the Matrox option is cool.

But... If you use like me 19" widescreens with 1440*900 then I would seriously look at 2 PCI-E cards of ATI or nVidia, set to not use SLI. I know it could be an expensive switch...

For what are you using 3 screens any way?

My thoughts on it: You have screens with 1280*1024 on an nVidia card then the Matrox option is cool.
I think that is what I will do unless someone else chimes in with some more insight.
For what are you using 3 screens any way?
General purpose computing. No special application. I mainly just use the real estate to be more productive, but I do enjoy the occasional game of UT2004 (ONS) in Surround Gaming mode :)

Matrox just announced a Digital Edition of the DualHead2Go but it still has VGA-only input. So it probably isn't worth waiting for the TripleHead2Go Digital Edition. All-digital would have my attention and may cause me to wait.

Stumbled across this thread whilst on Google. Thought I'd drop in some direct experience with the T2Go.

I've got an SLI setup connected to a Triplehead2Go, and it generally rocks. I wanted SLI, but I'm a developer as well as a gamer, so I wanted screen space too, and the T2Go is a nice work-around, if a tad expensive. The software that comes with the adaptor is unintrusive and works perfectly. You can also install the Surround Gaming Utility, which hacks/alters games' *.ini files to make them work with the surround setup. I've played HL2, Lost Coast and UT2004 on it so far, having set it up last week, and I'm never going back! It even managed to get F.E.A.R. running at 3840x1024, which is possibly the coolest thing ever.

The only slight issue I've had is some faint vertical banding on my monitors. 99.9% of the time I don't notice it and it doesn't bother me. (The banding is symmetrical, so although my monitors are rubbish, I'm assuming it's the T2Go causing it) But if a digital edition ever makes it to market that can remove this banding, then I think I'll buy one.

Now all I need is to upgrade my 7900's for a couple of 8800's and I'm set for a good couple of years yet. ;)

In short: do it. If you need SLI but can't afford to lose multiple monitor support, or you just need tri-output without losing power, its the best balance of cost and convenience I've found.

Edited by Tanthalas

• 4 weeks later...

@Tanthalas: Thanks so much for the input! Your post convinced me to go buy the Th2Go and I am VERY happy with it. It does a great job and I do not have the banding problem that you have. I'm using the device with a single 7600GS card and it performs like a champ. UT2004 in full detail across all three screens...yeah! I recall using Matrox's older SGU utility in the earlier parhelia days and am glad to report that the current SGU is much better.

I second your opinion wholeheartedly:

In short: do it. If you need SLI but can't afford to lose multiple monitor support, or you just need tri-output without losing power, its the best balance of cost and convenience I've found.

Thanks again!

@Tanthalas: Thanks so much for the input! Your post convinced me to go buy the Th2Go and I am VERY happy with it.

Glad to help, and happy that it does the job for you. :D

It does a great job and I do not have the banding problem that you have.
I now officially hate you. :P
UT2004 in full detail across all three screens...yeah! I recall using Matrox's older SGU utility in the earlier parhelia days and am glad to report that the current SGU is much better.

The new SGU does kick large amounts of a**. I've used it to play F.E.A.R., UT2004 and HL2 so far, and it's worked surprisingly well. The compressed dialogs and text on UT were a bummer, but aside from that it's been great.

• 3 weeks later...

Rats! Oh well, I can't tell the difference between VGA/DVI visually. but I would have bought this one instead if it had been available at the time. Thanks for the news :)

• 5 months later...

I am happy to report that I've been using my Th2Go with an NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS for quite some time now and am very happy with the results. Thanks for all the advice!

There are two sites I like with multi-monitor / widescreen gaming news:

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/...x.php/Main_Page

http://www.realtimesoft.com/multimon/