Feature Request (Drivers used during textmode setup)

Speeddymon

In txtsetup.sif there are a couple of sections that load drivers for various controllers and the like for use during textmode setup, that I will never use (Adaptec SCSI controllers, heck any SCSI controller, Dynamic Disk Support, PCMCIA since I am on a desktop). I can manually remove these drivers from the file, causing them to not load, and therefore decreasing the amount of time before setup prompts me to format my drives by at least a minute or two.

It would be nice if, within nlite, in the component removal section, there was a textmode drivers section in the tree where I could remove the ones I never use, instead of having to do so manually after each time I re-nlite my source.

All that needs to be removed to prevent loading for use during textmode is 2 lines per device from txtsetup.sif, none of the actual driver files need to be removed, so it doesnt really decrease the source or install size (a few kb is all), but it does lessen the setup time. If you want assistance in doing this manually or, nuhi, if you want to know what sections I remove lines from, so that you can have nlite take care of it, just post here and I can tell you.

Edited by Speeddymon

well it depends on which drivers you are wanting to prevent loading.

For SCSI I remove from [sCSI] and [sCSI.Load]

I will note that people need to be careful with this, as one time, I apparently removed something that was used by my system and caused _textmode_ to Bluescreen, I ended up having to remake the whole CD.

Yeah it's all cool but with SCSI drivers removed it loads only a handful of drivers which are commonly needed.

Did you try to remove the SCSI drivers or you don't have your own vendor drivers for integration?

When I said that something was causing textmode to bluescreen, I figured out that it was the way I was integrating my SATA RAID driver.. I copied the hardwaredeviceids incorrectly to my txtsetup.sif... Once I corrected that everything loaded perfectly..

As for using nlite to remove the scsi drivers completely and that stopping them from loading, the reason I dont do that is because I currently have no use for the ones that load during textmode, however I still want the SCSI drivers there post-install, in case I later add a SCSI card and only need an MS driver, not the OEM driver from the manufacturer. It's weird I know but I'm finnicky lol..

EDIT: Turns out that the bluescreen mentioned above was due to that but then I re-edited and apparently took something out that caused the darn thing to bluescreen again, so I will test and figure out what it is. It seems to do it even without my sata driver tho too, so I know its not a combination of both my adding the driver and taking something else out. Once I know, I will post it.

Edited by Speeddymon