help selecting a PDA

dcyphure

noob to pda's, i want one powerful enough to run emulators like mame, and i'll use it for music/video/ html and other text files

any recommends?

also whats the difference between windows mobile 5 and win ce? i think most emulators and games are for CE arnt they?

• 6 months later...

noob to pda's, i want one powerful enough to run emulators like mame, and i'll use it for music/video/ html and other text files

any recommends?

also whats the difference between windows mobile 5 and win ce? i think most emulators and games are for CE arnt they?

i would recommend you palm treo 750 palm treo 750,

i've been a loyal customer of palm product.and i owned zire 72 and it is simply valued for money :)

any recommends?

The age of the pda is basically over; smartphones have replaced them. That said, I have a dell axim x50v that does all the things you're talking about very well. I even have a compact flash gps for it. The gps capabilities are kind of so-so but hey, it at least tells me where I am.

Windows CE is basically any windows mobile version from 1-3, after that I think they called it mobile 2003, then mobile 5 and soon mobile 6. My x50v runs 2003 and can run 5 but 5, well, sucks so I stick with 2003.

• 1 year later...

I agree with the statement that pda era is over.

I had Palm Tungsten T and HP 4700.

Generally I would say that Pocket PC (Windows) is much more useful.

But to be honest, with today's prices for Tablet PC's and tiny laptops I wouldn't consider getting a pda.

• 2 weeks later...

Smartphones are good but i wouldn't say that the age of pda is gone, because they have things that normally a smartphone don't have, like touchscreen for instance.

I can't recommend an exact model, because there are many models that you can use, but see this:

Prefer HP models.

Smartphone if you need or want to make calls as well and make use of some internet service directly on it, else use pocket pc, ipaq models from hp are fine.

If you want to run emulators for snes and old games like that, any processor above 400mhz would be enough.

For music video and things related i can say that the only thing that you should think is the main memory, and/or if it has and expansion slot for putting memory card(like SD cards), preference that it recognize cards larger than 2GB, is commom to only recognize 2gb and not more, so take care in this part.

So the best that i can think is:

Processor above 400mhz of course if you can find and pay for any above 600 or even 700 it would be far better.

At least 128MB of main memory, preference for 256MB(main or more)

WIFI+BLUETOOTH

3G/EDGE

GSM OR CDMA (depends on the cellphone that you will use)

I think HP iPAQ 616 could be a good model as it has it does have everything i told above.

But there wasn't many models to compare so if you have any place that sells hp ipaq models, go there and try to search for something even better than this one.

For emulator remember that the screen must be bigger as possible.

Good Luck