Using SATA HDDs without drivers

Does anyone know if using 'standard' Microsoft drivers for SATA HDDs is slower than using the chipset/SATA drivers that came with your motherboards? It seems Microsoft is using standard IDE drivers to facilitate communication. My guess would be that there wouldn't be much difference since the transfer is being completed at the hardware level. How the OS decides to communicate with the chip isn't all that relevant. Opinions on that?

I recently re-installed my OS and decided to not use the NVIDIA IDE drivers. I was convinced that they were causing hard locks of my system (no errors, error logs etc., things would just totally freeze when exiting applications). I haven't had the computer long enough to know, but I'm pretty sure this problem started after using NVIDIA's nForce drivers from their website. These drivers are pretty much impossible to remove as well once they're in. I get an INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE BSOD when removing them.

Hi, i Use A DFI Lanparty SLI-DR nForce 4 board, and when i install the full nForce Driver Pack, my system often locks up, and when the firewall is installed it will not Allow outgoing connections from ANY IM Client, even when it has been configured to allow it, As for the Use of IDE Drivers in the place where SATA will be, i found that the SATA Drivers worked better, but had problems installed for Text mode setup, so i had to intergrate them into my XPCD, then they worked fine, so personally, i would use a alternative version of the nForce Drivers, (microsoft provide them all :D), and use the proper SATA Drivers, :D

Hope this helps

Ethan. :)

i do not install Drivers For IDE HDD, or SATA if i have already got an OS installed, but if im using a SATA Drive, for a fresh install,and press F6 to install third Party Drivers, it finds them then fails setup. So i have to intergrate them into the disc :)

Windows XP, 2003 both x86 and x64 support (SP2 for x86) INTEL and nVidia SATA chipsets so you don't have to install SATA drivers if you have a INTEL or nVidia SATA controller. Good luck!
How about Windows 2000 SP4?

Looking in device manager Win 2k is using generic IDE drivers. There's also two devices (PCI Device & PCI Memory Controller) which are unidentified because I didn't use the nForce drivers. I haven't noticed any problems as yet though, and things look more stable.

Not exactly answering your question but I need to use F6/drivers on floppy when installing XP since I have a ULi SATA controller. I guess I used some older drivers on the first floppy because when I updated them with later SATA drivers, one of my programs (Drive Image which drops down to DOS for creating and restoring images) ran about 6 times faster with the new driver! I'm glad I tried a newer driver.

Windows XP, 2003 both x86 and x64 support (SP2 for x86) INTEL and nVidia SATA chipsets so you don't have to install SATA drivers if you have a INTEL or nVidia SATA controller. Good luck!
How about Windows 2000 SP4?

Looking in device manager Win 2k is using generic IDE drivers. There's also two devices (PCI Device & PCI Memory Controller) which are unidentified because I didn't use the nForce drivers. I haven't noticed any problems as yet though, and things look more stable.

Well, it's not necessary to recognize them with their exact name, but from what I know for other SATA controllers Windows doesn't start if a driver is not used during Windows install.