How can I get the key code out of my 98FE install?

tilstad

I want to try upgrading this old laptop I recently got for free, and I'd like to try win ME for now. But if I later on want to go back to the original 98FE, how can I do that legally, while preserving and using the installed codes or keys or whatever win98 uses?

I'm kinda new to win 98 actually, been on the NT platform for most my pc's.

This laptop in question is a pc my mom got from her old job, and then recently handed down to me. I asked her if she had the original CD's for windows, or some restore cd's, but she said their IT guy at work took care off all that, which of course don't work there anymore.lol.

The bottom line is; ths laptop has been working with windows 98, a office suit (office 97) + some other minor programs from when it was bought new in 1998, and I'd like to retain my right to use these programs, even if I at some later time want or need to format and reinstall.

How can I accomplish this? And yes, I would also like to be able to legally reinstall the office suit which it has installed now.

Warez?? LOL... this is perfectly honest situation where I'm asking how to go about things to NOT have to use warez..

There ought to be tons of old used equipment out there where the original owner has misplaced the original software. Seems you guys dont have alot of experience retrieving the original software this way, and I'm not too sure what that says about whos most accustomed to using warez... me or you guys. Give that some thought.

I will need the media one way or the other, either used, a copy, or whatever. Remember, Microsoft don't sell this anymore, so how could you call a copy of the original software warez when one has the licence key for it?

As to WHY 98FE... It's just what I have installed, and a licence for. I know of course SE is better, but I don't have a licence for it. I just lack the cd media.

Oh, new question... all the windows editions I found on ebay being upgrades where in english... can the OS be upgraded from a Norwegian version to an english version, or won't that work? Because full versions are a little harder to find... and more expensive aswell.

I remembered that I used a Dutch version of Windows 98 SE for Windows Jackhammer. I got some english upgrades installed. (how?, I don't know) But my pc was half english/Dutch, and it irritated the s*** out of me.. Format c:

So.. I do not think it is possible, you may get a error that says: "This upgrade does not have the same language as the installed os".

About the cd-key; forget digging into the registry man! (that is so 2006 ;) ), try jellybean keyfinder (free to download). Works on all Windows Versions.

NL-Stitch

About the cd-key; forget digging into the registry man! (that is so 2006 ), try jellybean keyfinder (free to download). Works on all Windows Versions.
Why that keyfinder was developed was because 2K+ product keys were in binary form.

Win9x/ME product keys are in plaintext under HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion.

Oh, new question... all the windows editions I found on ebay being upgrades where in english... can the OS be upgraded from a Norwegian version to an english version, or won't that work? Because full versions are a little harder to find... and more expensive aswell.
In all honesty I would definitely NOT buy an unsupported/discontinued software at all.

M$ has already made all the profit it can from 9x. They basically don't care about it any more/

Seems they go for between $50-100 and I think thats way too much since its obsolete and all. Alot of them are selling them with the text "use for upgrade to vista" as I beleive you can't do anyways...

Warez?? LOL... Seems you guys dont have alot of experience retrieving the original software this way

lol ...you ask a question, people give a relevant answer and you tell them they don't know much about it.... that's a good one.

As far as I know, downloading Windows from any site is illegal, wether you have a license or not.

In my little experience, I can also tell you that your FE key should work for a SE version. :rolleyes:

Well, I commented about the warez thing because this was/is meant to be how to do it legally in the first place.

Anyways, where I'm at, Norway, It's NOT illegal to download digital content from the internet for your own personal use. Filesharing and distribution IS. However, Since I can not be 100% sure that my moms employer at one future time wants the ancient laptop back, I wanted to preserve the original software, and its keys, serials etc if I ever need to return it to it's original state, as delivered to me. Because if I dont, and I use some OS downloaded from the internet in it, when delivered to her employer, it will no longer be "personal use", and thus illegal.

I recently threw away 7 old pc's, running win 98, win NT and win 2000 I got from My old employer as I no longer had the room or need to use them. The hardware was so old they didn't do much good, (200-300Mhz PII). But the licences on those machines was mine to use as I saw fit, although I didn't know at the time how to preserve my right to continue using them. Basicly, I feel I'm VERY well intitled to use any of these old OS's, firstly because I've owned several machines with them, secondly because they are outdated and no longer supported, and thirdly because it's not even illegal for personal use in my country, even if you have never owned a license.

I have been personally approached by the RIAA through my internet provider here on university campus, and they where VERY clear about the legal matters, and gave me in writing that downloading content without uploading for personal use, is as of right now, still very much LEGAL.

Thanks for you help so far though, I'm in the middle of fabricating new screen brackets for the old girl, since the plastic had all broken straight off, screen dangling from the electric cords only. When I'm done with that I'll get to the software part.