Multiplayer military game with real-world equipment

tain

I just posted about my affinity for Empire Earth in another topic but then it occurred to me that there might be a better game out there for me somewhere. My friends and I like to play Empire Earth in the Modern epoch so that we can use current, real-world military equipment that is fairly realistic in employment. ie, we can launch F-14s off of a carrier, send A-10s out on tank strafing runs and use B-52s to drop nukes where the sun don't shine.

There are many things about the game that could be better (F-117s aren't really air-to-air fighters, we'd LOVE to have a few different SAM and AAA systems to employ) but this is the best game we've found for our purposes. I keep mentioning aircraft and anti-aircraft systems but other units like tanks, artillery and troops are just as important. C&C Generals is OK but a bit more cartoony than we like.

EE is pretty old now and it has kept us happy for a long time. But there is likely something newer and better available now. We have tried EE2, but some of its new features p***ed us off (mainly the territories). Can anyone recommend some other games that might be better at these things than Empire Earth? Bonus points for any game that includes the F-15E and/or GPS vs. Laser airborne weapon options!

Battlefield 2/2142? :thumbup
I'll look into that one. Don't know much about it yet.
America's Army.
I thought that was an FPS with just soldiers and small arms? Will have to take a second look.

Thanks, guys!

Battlefied 2 (not 2142) looks very promising. That is one for us to try out! :thumbup
America's Army.
That one seems to still be limited to mainly soldier/squad combat. The site says that they have one usable vehicle now. Might have to keep an eye on this one. Thanks for the nom ;)
We have tried EE2, but some of its new features p***ed us off (mainly the territories).
:ph34r:
um, rise of nations?

not sure this is what you want and it does have territories

Maybe the territory system will be different or can be toggled on/off. Will read up on that one now, thanks!

Battlefied 2 (not 2142) looks very promising. That is one for us to try out! :thumbup
I tried the demo but couldn't get it to run. It warned me that the game was only tested on XP (I run 2000) but it appeared to try to run anyway. I think my current video card (Matrox Parhelia) is the problem. I'll try again when I upgrade my rig.
um, rise of nations?

not sure this is what you want and it does have territories

Maybe the territory system will be different or can be toggled on/off. Will read up on that one now, thanks!
Excellent suggestion! These two games are very similar. With some 3rd-party mods, this one meets most of our wishes. Certainly a contender; thanks!
That is a good list. There are a couple of games on there that come close to what we are looking for but hadn't heard of before. Thanks!

I've never played any of the Civilization games. Does anyone have experience with them? Can you tell me how they stack up against this feature wish list?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Battlefield 2: THE HOTNESS! I bought two copies of this one: one for me and one for a buddy who was too stingy to buy it for himself.

Rise of Nations: Very similar to the good stuff in EE. Great to have on-hand as a backup to EE.

Company of Heroes: WWII Game

Command & Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars: Sci-Fi game, but looks really neat. C&C Generals is actually a good match for us and is more suited to faster games than EE.

Empires: Dawn of the Modern World: Ages only go up to WWII

I'd still be interested in hearing about the Civ games. No Civ fans on this forum? :)

Thanks for all the great feedback so far. You all rule!

I'd still be interested in hearing about the Civ games. No Civ fans on this forum? :)

Right here!

The Civ games are the best strategy games ever. Hands down. No contest.

I lost large parts of my childhood to Civ2, and I remember being mortified that it didn't work on XP.

....So I bought Alpha Centauri and Call to Power. ;)

Seriously brilliant games though. Well made, hugely in-depth and involving, and serious strategy too - not just building a bunch of goons and lobbing them at the enemy, a la War of the Worlds or Command and Conquer.

For some reason I haven't yet figured out, I don't have Civ3 onwards yet. This is a travesty that I will correct immediately.

Well, Civ really isn't the same kind of games but hell yeah! It's d**** good!

I remember the first game I bough for my brand new 486dx2-66: Civ1! And I still play it! Personnaly, I didn't like Civ2 ...but Civ3 and Civ4 rule! If you want modern fights, you'll have more units and tactic choices with Civ4.

This is probably THE best strategy game ever made but clearly, it wasn't designed for multiplayer (too slow, looks like playing chess by mail...)

While I think about it, here"s a FPS you might like for MP: "Armed assault" (but you probably heard about it already).

Civilization is a great series and Civ4 is the best imo; probably one of my favorite games ever. Only problem is it is very time consuming so I rarely play it.

Thinking about digging out Alpha Centauri soon for a round or two, I always play the Provost and get into a war with the planet. :P