Speed up the Start Menu

xper

The default speed of the Start Menu is pretty slow, but you can fix that by editing a Registry Key. Fire up the Registry Editor and navigate to the following key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER Control Panel Desktop MenuShowDelay

By default, the value is 400. Change this to a smaller value, such as 0, to speed it up.

:eek: :eek:

In the last dozans or so build of xp, Ive tried x-setup...and tweak xp. Its great and all but at some point it always made my system very unstable. Im a man who loves to tweak the registry by hand. Ive never been impressed with the above 2 applications.....Oh by the way I found the entry and I changed it from 400 (default) to 0

-Chris:gmpg

• 2 weeks later...

The REG-trick MenuShowDelay will only speed up in the Menu's unfolding faster.

Elsewhere suggestions are made to stop (on a StartUp) the Running of all kind of the (useless) NT Services of which many always Run(semi-) automatically on a (re-) boot.

Another suggestion made was to always logon as Administrator, since that with any Users again all kinds of Services will start.

-So why does the StartMenu always shows such a 1-minute delay in its "on screen present"-performance, whilst the Desktop+Taskbar are already "minutes" visable on screen? (happend also in the 2505 build).

-And now how to prefend this default StartMenuShowsBootDelay behaviour? (And now without the workaround of having 3td party sw to deal with it).

-Anyone does know of straight Windows solutions?

• 2 weeks later...