98MP10 = WMP10 XP + XP SP3 Killer Replacements

MDGx

• 2 months later...

98MP10 · UPDATED · 12-10-2009

The inf file to delete drm does not work.
DEL_DRM.INF does not delete/move/rename any files anymore. Only unregisters the DRM files [found in %windir%\SYSTEM] from the registry.

Deleting the DRM files is not necessary if they are unregistered [using regsvr32.exe].

HTH

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the update!

I have the latest 98MP10 installed, so when I run the latest MP9URP9X installer, it of course says that my version of Windows Media Player is not supported.

Just out of curiosity, I compared the two installers.

Here is a list of files that come with the latest MP9URP9X, and are newer than what I already have, and do not come with 98MP10.

There are two exceptions:

- an older laprxy.dll file that I found in \Program Files\Windows Media Player even though 98MP10 installs it into %windir%\SYSTEM - I removed it.

- wmpdxm.dll from MP9URP9X is newer than 98MP10!

Also, wmpns.dll is in both %windir%\SYSTEM and \Program Files\Windows Media Player?

%windir%\SYSTEM

cewmdm.dll

drmclien.dll

drmstor.dll

drmv2clt.dll

dxmasf.dll

l3codeca.acm

logagent.exe (see note below)

mp43dmod.dll

mp4sdmod.dll

mpg4dmod.dll

msdxm.ocx

msnetobj.dll

mspmsnsv.dll

npwmsdrm.dll (much older than MP9URP9X PF\WMP - I removed it)

qasf.dll

strmdll.dll

wmnetmgr.dll

wmp.dll

wmpdxm.dll (from MP9URP9X is newer than 98MP10)

wmvcore.dll

\Program Files\Windows Media Player

logagent.exe (much older than MP9URP9X WIN\SYS - I removed it)

migrate.exe

npdrmv2.dll

npdrmv2.zip

npds.zip

npdsplay.dll

npwmsdrm.dll (see note above)

The question is, should some, or all of the additional files in MP9URP9X be included in 98MP10?

It would appear that at least some of those files are common to both versions of Windows Media Player...

On a side note, and not related to either of the above packages, I also found unicows.dll in \Program Files\Windows Media Player, and many other \Program Files folders that were much older than my master copy in %windir%\SYSTEM.

For continuity, I removed all copies in \Program Files folders.

I could see (and have probably had) problems with KernelEx if old copies of unicows.dll were being loaded by certain apps.

There is a note for 98MP10: "No need for XP N SP3 Q943604 files, same as XP SP3"

For uniformity between the packages, should the same 9.0.0.4504 (MP9URP9X) files be used instead of 9.0.0.4503?

These are the files:

%windir%\INF

unregmp2.exe

%windir%\SYSTEM

blackbox.dll

msscp.dll

wmp.ocx

wmpasf.dll

wmpcore.dll

wmploc.dll

wmpns.dll

wmsdmoe.dll

\Program Files\Windows Media Player

mpvis.dll

wmplayer.exe

wmpns.dll

Another option could be to have MP9URP9X run an alternate install procedure if 98MP10 is installed.

In this case, any common files between the packages could be written to the *.MP9 backup files.

This way, if 98MP10 is removed, then it will roll back to the latest WMP9.

Just an idea.

Anyway, I decided to replace older files with newer files as above, unregister and re-register, and update media player registration.

This has actually fixed some issues I had with some types of video files only playing some seconds before stopping.

EDIT:

I've also found that browselc.dll in 98MP10 is older than (and overwrites) my newer Q331485 version.

98MP10: (browsel9.dll): 6.0.2800.1106

Q331485: 6.0.2800.1146

Edited by RetroOS

I have the latest 98MP10 installed, so when I run the latest MP9URP9X installer, it of course says that my version of Windows Media Player is not supported.

Just out of curiosity, I compared the two installers.........

Wow! You sure did spend quite some time working on this. Thanks a lot for your feedback.

I'll add all newer files you mention to 98MP10 ["synchronize" with MP9URP9X], soon.

FYI:

- laprxy.dll : I found out WMP works better if this file is in %windir%\SYSTEM , that's why 98MP10 installs it there. Should be no problems, because the scripts [98MP10.INF] take care of all registry settings, to make sure all laprxy.dll references point to %windir%\SYSTEM . Therefore if there is another copy in C:\PF\WMP , it won't matter, WMP will use the one in %windir%\SYSTEM .

- wmpns.dll : is installed by default [MS official WMP installer] in C:\PF\WMP , and it looks like it works better if it is there.

If there is any other wmpns.dll copy anywhere else, must be deleted.

Edit:

PS:

Could you pls email me newer browselc.dll from Q331485, at your convenience, eventually the MS installer, if you have it?

Many thanks.

I've got the hotfix in e-mail from MS.

Thanks for your trouble.

Cheers,

MDGx

Edited by MDGx

UPDATED · 12-23-2009

Enjoy.

Hi,

The new version did not install properly. It refered to custsat.dll, browselc.dll, plyr_err.chm, wmplayer.chm files

I checked it on two my 98 boxes

regards,

Ahhh... shucks... [i mean guano!] :(

Thanks a lot for your valuable bug report.

I have removed "RequiredEngine=SETUPAPI" from 98MP10.INF to fix the install bug [?].

Please test and let me know if it works ok now [7.9 MB]:

http://www.mdgx.com/98mp10/98MP10.EXE

Thanks.

HTH

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I've installed last version of 98MP10 on my Win98Se (with SP3b4, KernelX & RP9)

and everything is smooth.

I wanted to get it in french, so I tried to substitute the WMPLAYER.EXE file with the french one, but was not able to find the exact same version.

When I try to launch it, it's complaining that my version is 9.00.00.4503, instead of the 9.00.00.4504 that it is waiting for, and doesn't open.

Is there a way to change that waited version number (registry?) or a tweak with the exe?

(I'd already tried to change the version number in the 2 places it appears in the file with an hexa editor, but it's giving me still the same warning).

Thx in advance.

Charles.

Easy fix.

You must specify the exact version build of wmp.dll under this registry key [don't use this 1, it's from XP SP3 + WMP11]:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Setup\Installed Versions]
"wmp.dll"=hex:00,00,0b,00,19,14,59,16
"wmploc.dll"=hex:00,00,0b,00,19,14,59,16
"wmplayer.exe"=hex:00,00,0b,00,19,14,59,16

;

These values get written into the registry every time you register wmp.dll this way:

regsvr32 %windir%\system\wmp.dll

and probably this way too:

%windir%\INF\UNREGMP2.EXE /RegUniv

%windir%\INF\UNREGMP2.EXE /UpdateWMP

I have deleted those values from my 98SE registry, to avoid any future headaches. ;)

And if I install a newer version of wmp.dll, wmplayer.exe (WMP) or wmploc.dll (from some WMP update), I run this REG file again after the install, to make sure those values are gone:

REGEDIT4
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Setup\Installed Versions]

More info:

http://mobilecomms.com.au/Tips/wmp.htm

HTH

I have deleted those values from my 98SE registry, to avoid any future headaches. ;)
Thx! Very nice (very simple) :thumbup

For who is concerned, the localized version of WMP9 (= tranlation to any language) is in WMPLOC.DLL.

Change from the english version to another one and you get your WMP in your language!

Last point: the GUI in the explorer is still in english.

Do you know from which file it's coming?

I believe most of the GUI comes (like you said) from wmploc.dll. I don't know of other WMP files that have that function.

More info:

http://xpdll.nirsoft.net/wmploc_dll.html

But you can change any text string to any other supported language, by hex-editing wmploc.dll in ResHacker (freeware):

http://angusj.com/resourcehacker

1st make a backup of your file.

Then double-click Menu, Dialog, String Table, and change the text you want. Then compile the script, and save the file.

Put the modified file back into %windir%\SYSTEM [usually C:\WINDOWS].

Done.

HTH

Change from the english version to another one and you get your WMP in your language!

Thanks MDGx for the answer.

Like I said in my previous post, I have already changed the WMPLOC.DLL for a french one (version 4503) and my WMP is completely french.

The problem is that 98MP10.EXE had also changed the GUI of the Windows Explorer (that is when I open any folder, almost all menus & buttons) to english.

So I ask from which file could it had came (EXPLORER.EXE is still the same, french version).

BTW, 98MP10.EXE is not upgrading %windir%\SYSTEM\WMP.DLL.

Is there a problem to do it?

(Last version found is from MS09-037: 9.00.00.4507 for WinXP SP3, or 9.0.0.3364 for Win2000 SP4 & WinXP SP2.

Both seems to work).

Edited by CharlesF

Thanks MDGx for the answer.

Like I said in my previous post, I have already changed the WMPLOC.DLL for a french one (version 4503) and my WMP is completely french.

The problem is that 98MP10.EXE had also changed the GUI of the Windows Explorer (that is when I open any folder, almost all menus & buttons) to english.

So I ask from which file could it had came (EXPLORER.EXE is still the same, french version).

BTW, 98MP10.EXE is not upgrading %windir%\SYSTEM\WMP.DLL.

Is there a problem to do it?

(Last version found is from MS09-037: 9.00.00.4507 for WinXP SP3, or 9.0.0.3364 for Win2000 SP4 & WinXP SP2.

Both seems to work).

1. WMP menus in Windows Explorer are in English because explorer.exe gets its text strings from %windir%\system\shell32.dll .

And shell32.dll has a huge list of those menus + strings. But with a lot of spare time on your hands, u can use RegHacker to edit shell32.dll to your liking. ;)

2. 98MP10 does not update/change wmp.dll in any way. It is designed only to replace WMP9 files with WMP10 files, not to update older 9.0 files.

More details in ReadMe:

http://www.mdgx.com/98mp10/98mp10.php

The package that does that is WMP9 URP:

http://www.mdgx.com/wmp.htm#URP

[The author of WMP9 URP is erpdude8 , also an MSFN member.]

3. If you translate your files into French, and also get your hands on the other French files that are installed by 98MP10, pls PM me so I can make a French 98MP10.

All files installed by 98MP10 are listed in the ReadMe, under the "98MP10 FILES LIST" section:

http://www.mdgx.com/98mp10/98mp10.php

Tx in advance.

HTH

1. ... explorer.exe gets its text strings from %windir%\system\shell32.dll .
I'm sorry, I don't understand. FWIW, shell32.dll is not a part of your package, so why is it concerned.

Is is not only the 'WMP menus in Windows Explorer' that became english, but all 'Standard Buttons' bar and a part of the menus in any folder!

Look at attached screenshots.

Later Edit: I found it! It is BROWSELC.DLL.

When I restore the previous french version (using Wininit.ini) all the non-WMP GUI is going back to french.

So MDGx, replacing the two files WMPLOC.DLL and BROWSELC.DLL is converting your package to any language.

I will try to make more testing this WE.

2. 98MP10 does not update/change wmp.dll in any way. ... The package that does that is WMP9 URP
OK, it means that we don't need to upgrade WMP.DLL if we install 98MP10, because you state in the 'ReadMe' NOT to install the twice together.
3. If you translate your files into French
With pleasure :)

I'll try to do my best.

Edited by CharlesF

I'm glad you found the file responsible for the text strings.

Pls PM me if you translate those 2 files, and I'll re-package them with the translated texts + the rest, so we can have a French 98MP10. :thumbup

P.S.:

I've said a long time ago not to also install WMP9 URP if installing 98MP10 [or the other way around], but since then I've updated a bunch of files, so that statement might not be valid anymore.

I'll consult with erpdude8, see what he says, if WMP9 URP + 98MP10 are now compatible.

HTH