Gaming PC - which processor should I get?

azagahl

There is no need to demean ripken's character. He just gets excited about the "latest and greatest" sometimes :P:hello: We all have our strengths and weaknesses. That is part of what makes the forum so valuable: you ask for opinions, and you get several different ones. And we all benefit.

>When you buy new RAM then AM2... But what is wrong with the system you have now? It should perform well with 2GB and a 7900GT for example...

Well, it's a bit slow at games I want to play (like Morrowind). And it has obsolete Slot7 and changing the memory can cause VERY flaky results (Prime95 failures, etc. I somehow got it to be stable with generic memory, Kingston memory was a nightmare despite playing with voltages/timings.) It has a NVIDA 5900 FX Ultra. I have an unopened Radeon X800 lying around gathering dust for years, but it needs PCIx which none of my PC's have. But the main reason I'm replacing this PC is because it is going to replace a Pentium 4 PC that died recently.

I think I will get a budget PC (AMD Athlon 64 slot AM2) which is slightly better than the good PC I got 3 years ago. It seems like a PC that's twice as fast as my 3 year old PC doesn't exist or will cost a fortune.

A Socket7 or a Slot A or 1? Slot7 doesn’t exist, what CPU is it any way? A K6?... but... You could start indeed with that X800 on an nVidia 550 motherboard from ABIT.

Soon there will be the Celeron version of the Core2Duo, I’m waiting for that! The 820 from iNTEL also dropped in price but it’s not my favorite choice, exactly non of the P4 core based CPUs are, it was all the way AMD for me when the Athlon came out (Slot A and up).

In my opinion, I'd go for a standard single core AMD CPU, AM2 socket or 939.

To me, games atm dont support dual cores properly therefore lose out on alot of performace...for multi-programming apps, then dual core the way to go yes, but still lack in performace in my opinion and from wat ive seen.

Until applications start supporting Dual Cores properly...I aint bothering yet.

To me, games atm dont support dual cores properly therefore lose out on alot of performace...for multi-programming apps, then dual core the way to go yes, but still lack in performace in my opinion and from wat ive seen.

well that may be, but whats nice about dual cores is that you can play games using 100% of 1 core and have another core to do whatever on, otherwise your whole system can get bogged down.

AMD Opeteron looks promising. If I was going to build a gaming PC I would build it to design games and emulate the current Video Games.

Any One Gig Proccesor will do the job with any store brand AGP card and the standard 32KB-256MB. I am also considering upgrading my Celeron only for processing power nothing more.

well that may be, but whats nice about dual cores is that you can play games using 100% of 1 core and have another core to do whatever on, otherwise your whole system can get bogged down.

This is my point...Core 1 on the game...yet the individual cores run at slower clock speeds atm...

example: 2.4 GHz Dual Core CPU

X2 Cores at 1.2GHz

So one core runnign the game at only 1.2GHz

to me thats a decrease in performance.

Which is why im waiting for faster individual cores on Dual Core CPUs.

This is my point...Core 1 on the game...yet the individual cores run at slower clock speeds atm...

example: 2.4 GHz Dual Core CPU

X2 Cores at 1.2GHz

So one core runnign the game at only 1.2GHz

to me thats a decrease in performance.

Which is why im waiting for faster individual cores on Dual Core CPUs.

Gah!!! That's not how things work at all! :P

A 2.4GHz Dual Core CPU will have two cores, both running at 2.4GHz - not 1.2GHz!

The reason why a Athlon X2 3800+ might be slower than a Athlon64 3800+ is because the 64-3800 is clocked higher. Each of the two cores in the X2 will be clocked slower, but AMD gives it the "3800" rating because the second core "makes up" for the lower clock speed. It's a really confusing naming convention IMO, and causes mixups like this one.

Any C2D or X2 CPU today that's running at 2.4GHz will kick the pants of any P4 setup from a year ago - regardless of clockspeed. ;)

i see.

Cause ive seen it as Dual Cores, not Dual CPU's...ive never seen a decent technical document explaing the operation of Dual Cores.

To me, its Dual Cores, under the one frequency, not 2 CPUs with their own frequency.

So maybe ive been lookign at it wrong, but I would like to see documentation or a program that displays the individual Core speeds, so that i can for myself see the core speeds.

But ont he sence of AMD and INTEL dual cores..AMD seem to have put there foot in it, as for some reason there L2 Cache dosnt exceed 1MB, and some of their Dual Cores only have 512mb....wats going on there? no wonder INTEL is winning the race!