restriction problem

jasonp

hi i want to try vista but currently only havce 386mb of the required 512 i was wondering is there away to remove it or away around it other than using someone eles ram

thanks

p.s hope this is in the right section

You could bypass the RAM check in Beta versions of Vista via the answer file or a setup.exe switch, but that no longer works on RC versions and RTM. You either add more RAM, or you don't install Vista. You can run Vista with less than 512MB of RAM (removing RAM after install is quite fine if you choose to do so, and Vista will run), but you can't install Vista with less than 512MB of RAM. I wouldn't recommend less than 2GB on a Vista install, but to each his or her own.

You could bypass the RAM check in Beta versions of Vista via the answer file or a setup.exe switch, but that no longer works on RC versions and RTM. You either add more RAM, or you don't install Vista. You can run Vista with less than 512MB of RAM (removing RAM after install is quite fine if you choose to do so, and Vista will run), but you can't install Vista with less than 512MB of RAM. I wouldn't recommend less than 2GB on a Vista install, but to each his or her own.

ye but im going to strip it so it will run on 386mb ram just fine :D hmm surely there is a way around it? any1 else got any tips or advice?

thanks for ur feedback anyway mod :D

Currently, there is not a way around it. You could try and image an existing, non-activated version of Vista on other hardware and then image it to this machine with less than 512MB of RAM, but that is the only possible way with anything better than Beta2.

Hi, Windows Vista will not INSTALL on anything less that 512Mb RAM, because it does a check on start up, and if you do not have enought RAM it will say so, and you will not be able to continue, but if for example you borrow 512Mb RAM off a friend, Family member etc, and install it then, then put your RAM back into your computer without the 512Mb it will run, so Vista requires 512MB to Install, not to run.

Hope This helps

Ethan.

MCP/MCSA/MCSE/MCDST

Hi, Windows Vista will not INSTALL on anything less that 512Mb RAM, because it does a check on start up, and if you do not have enought RAM it will say so, and you will not be able to continue, but if for example you borrow 512Mb RAM off a friend, Family member etc, and install it then, then put your RAM back into your computer without the 512Mb it will run, so Vista requires 512MB to Install, not to run.

Hope This helps

Ethan.

MCP/MCSA/MCSE/MCDST

Question is, how will it run after he pulls the memory out :lol:

I've seen posts around that say that after vLite'ing Vista, it runs pretty decent on 256MB of RAM - so I suppose that it's possible to run it properly on less than 512MB of RAM without all of the visual bells and whistles and without some of the features turned on and running. But, if you run stock Vista without changing anything on a default install, most people find that even 1GB isn't enough - 2GB or more for Vista, or stick with XP :).

If the hardware is identical, then it should work. If the hardware is quite different, it'll either not boot or it'll boot and require reactivation. Best to install on different hardware, do not activate, and move it over to see what happens.

What do u mean the RAM types are different, aslong as its the same type (SDRAM, DDR, DDR2) etc, it will work, well you cannot access the registry because you cannot get into vista to access it? so no the registry is off limits.

I have now tested vista using 256Mb of DDR RAM, and its running fine, The Aero Theme works, but its static, so all the items are still and do not move, its performce is good, and stable, But it would not load correctly when using 128Mb of DDR RAM,

I Will look into a work around to the Vista RAM problem, but i do not belive its possible, it was with the XP Family, because you would just change a certain file. but this is not the case in vista.

Thank :)

Edited by ethanmcf