Hard drive for IBM X40 laptop

The hard drive is very small for this laptop and as such it is very expensive. Roughly twice the price of a normal laptop hard drive. Right now I have a 30gb but could really use an 80 or 100 gb but 60 is the largest they come. So far Hitachi is the only company I've found that makes a drive of this size. Does anyone know if there is another company that has them? http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/c4k60_ce/c4k60_ce.htm

@ripken204 - The laptop he's talking about takes a 1.8" hard drive, not 2.5" drives. That means that he's also highly limited to the size and variety of drives he can buy.

@LordFett - Is the drive you have connected via IDE or ZIF?

Toshiba MK8007GAH - 80GB

There's rumours of a 100GB drive from Toshiba to be released this month.

Seagate makes the ST18 series - so far I only see 60GB, but I hear they were supposed to have a 120GB version by 4Q 2006.

Look for iPod hard drives. They're also the 1.8" type.

Toshiba has an 80GB model, the MK8007GAH: http://www.toshiba-europe.com/storage/pci....amp;ptype=HDD18

There is also supposedly a 100GB one, the MK1011GAH, but I haven't been able to find much information on it.

I've also heard that it's cheaper to buy an iPod and take the drive out, than to buy the drive itself.

Edit: Netman66 beat me to it :blink:

Edited by LLXX

@ripken204 - The laptop he's talking about takes a 1.8" hard drive, not 2.5" drives. That means that he's also highly limited to the size and variety of drives he can buy.

didnt realize they made drives that small, i guess thats how laptops are so thin now. sorry

LordFett,

Why don’t you go with an external USB drive? 2.5" drives don’t use an external power supply.

Carrying around a separate drive external to the laptop isn't really convenient for most users.

I do have some external drives that I connect via USB. The problem isn't storage, it is programs plus I have the laptop dual booting SUSE10.0 and XP. I keep all my mp3s and movies on my USB drives (i have two from old laptops and they both could use replacing one is <10gb and the other is <5gb).

@Zxian, I am pretty sure it is IDE. I'm not familiar with ZIF at all, but I'm fairly certain I was able to hook this drive up to my other computer using my IDE to USB adaptor.

I'll check out toshiba and seagate.

@LLXX I'm not sure, but I think my HDD from the laptop is larger then my iPod. It might just be the HDD + the caddy I'm thinking of.

Thanks for all the input guys.

http://shopper.cnet.com/Toshiba_MK8007GAH_...9-31660473.html

Wow $499 for the 80gb and it looks like it is too big for the laptop.

31660473-2-200-0.gif

d4ad_1.JPG

ok looking at the images I have a feeling maybe the hitachi (Bottom) is in a caddy. I wish I had the laptop with me at work so I could take it out and see for sure. I'll try and snap some pics and get some measurements.

Edited by LordFett

@LLXX I'm not sure, but I think my HDD from the laptop is larger then my iPod. It might just be the HDD + the caddy I'm thinking of.
I meant the *original* iPod (largest one), not the smaller mini/nano/etc.

NetMan66 is correct, the smaller one (mini?) uses a 1" CF MicroDrive.

The two images you have there are of two completely different types of 1.8" drives.

The first is probably what your laptop uses, i.e. the standard end-connector type.

The second is the side-connector type, like the 1" CF microdrive.

Actually the 2nd is the 20gb version of what the laptop uses.

And I don't consider mini/nano/shuffle real iPods, I knew what you meant. I've had the drive to my laptop out (lost the screw that holds the caddy in too) and had an iPod (3rd gen) apart and I still think the size is different by far too much. I will do a size comparison tonight (I know I said that before) of my IBM Hitatchi drive, a standard 2.5" a 3.5" my iPod and a metal ruler if I can find it. (And given my track record for remembering this kind of stuff I will be dead wrong on everything I have said, but if my photos prove i am wrong I'll eat my hat).

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/04/28/sma...iful/page3.html

Article about the 1.8" drive with some good photos. Last photo on the page is the bottom of the X40's hard drive.

Edited by LordFett