Run Vista Applications in XP

wfunction

Does anyone know how to run an executable from Vista (any executable which came with vista) in XP?

I get this error: "This program is not a valid Win32 application."

Yes, you can run bcdedit and some others, but only a few, because they're native apps.

• 7 years later...

KernelEx is an Open Source compatibility layer by Xeno86 with an aim to allow running Windows 2000/XP-only applications on Microsoft Windows 98 and Microsoft Windows Millennium operating systems. I remember with a certain version on a Virtual PC with Win98 running some simple programs that do not run on Win2k, WinXP, etc.

• 1 year later...

Slightly OT (but not much) recent versions of the MS compilers are preset to put in the buiilt PE a minimum OS version (Major and Minor) 6.0.

The net result is that tools that can otherwise be run fine in 5.0 or 5.1 do not run and show:

"This program is not a valid Win32 application."

It is always worth to try using CFF explorer or similar to change the minimum OS version in the PE executable and see what happens, example:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/173265-formatting-an-external-drive-using-different-interfaces/?p=1092453

jaclaz

Does anyone know how to run an executable from Vista (any executable which came with vista) in XP?

I get this error: "This program is not a valid Win32 application."

Yes, you can run bcdedit and some others, but only a few, because they're native apps.

Search alky for application or vaio (vista api implimentation on xp)

Yes, I already patched PE header version more times and sometimes it works. But it's not enough to run e.g. newer version of Adobe Lightroom that needs newer API :(

AHA, VAIO seems to look promissing, I'll try...

Edited by xrayer