Current_User Regtweaks doesn't work ?

Hi again,

It appears regtweaks used in RunSynchronous command @ specialize pass, which

are set for CURRENT_USER are applied to DEFAULT user but not for the user created in autounattend.xml

I create one user in autounattend.xml different from Administrator but which is in Administrators group,

and regtweaks aren't present in CURRENT_USER hive.

If I create a new user regtweaks are present for the new created user.

Where I can put CURRENT_USER regtweaks for same effects as current_users for xp in cmdlines.txt ?

Hello Sonic!

Do you auto logon the user you've created in Autounattend.xml? Or do you use the build in Administrator for AutoLogon?

To install something in user context you need to run audit mode? Look in WAIK help for sysprep to find out more about.

Martin

I don't set AutoLogon just one user with blank password in .xml and Windows boot automatically with it.

The user is in Administrators group but I don't use the true Administrator.

I have tried @ audit mode pass but it appears to not work, nothing executed ...

Hello Sonic,

I do understand what your target is, but if you wanna use different Current_User Regtweaks, than they won't be applied under specialize pass.

During specialize pass only machine/system settings are setted. Settings for one User only, have to be applied during auditUser pass, and this will only be executed with sysprep. This is the "official" way, if I've understood everything right.

There might be some other ways, I don't know for the moment.

Here are some possible solutions - not tested yet - without running sysprep:

If it does not matter for you, that the settings are under the default user, so that every new user will inherit them, than it would be a solution, to run a cmd, where a new user will be created - who will inherit the settings during creation and your original user - who don't has the tweaks present - will be deleted.

If it's important for you, that the default user settings are not changed, you could run a cmd where Default user profile is saved first to an other location. Than let run your Regtweaks.reg like you did before. Create a new user and delete the old user. Copy back the saved Default user profile.

But I had in mind, that copy procedures like this will be prevented by missing permissions. Not sure for the moment... I'm just thinking...

Martin

In fact, the regwteaks are applied because I see value in reg\HKU\.DEFAULT\

But on the user created in the .xml file the regtweaks arn't present.

Yes with batch in start menu of default user it can be done but I dislike this method for the moment ...

I'm trying diffrent methos atm, thanks again & if you have an idea just tell me ...

If I create a new user regtweaks are present for the new created user.

Hello Sonic again!

I can't reproduce this behaviour! If I let start my regtweaks.reg from specialize pass than I can see the change in .Default Key in Regedit. But if I create a new user, than the Current_User tweaks are NOT applied.

BTW I have a solution for your part of the problem just import the regtweaks again through Runsynchronous from oobe pass. Than the tweaks are applied to the created user. I've just tested that and it's working for me.

I've put a runsynchronous command to specialize AND oobe pass in AutoUnattend.xml so the regtweaks.reg is imported twice. If the regtweaks would be present now for new users than we would have solved the whole problem and we would have the same result like with winnt.sif and cmdline.txt without using sysprep.

Could you clear this up for me?

Martin

Edited by FireGeier

I'm not really positive of what your seeing, but the fact that reg tweaks are not applied to HKEY_CURRENT_USER might indicate that the tweaks are applied at the wrong stage in the install. I always thought the reg profile for HKEY_CURRENT_USER isn't finalized until the install finishes creating all registry entries after the user accounts are created. Mine seem to work fine, but they are not put in until after the user accounts are created and at the end of the install, then there is a re-boot.

Maybe i'm not understanding what your saying here.

I'm not really positive of what your seeing, but the fact that reg tweaks are not applied to HKEY_CURRENT_USER might indicate that the tweaks are applied at the wrong stage in the install. I always thought the reg profile for HKEY_CURRENT_USER isn't finalized until the install finishes creating all registry entries after the user accounts are created. Mine seem to work fine, but they are not put in until after the user accounts are created and at the end of the install, then there is a re-boot.

Hello Spooky!

The "Problem" is to apply the Regtweaks to the .Default-User profile so that they will be present for new created users in future. If you autologon an user at OOBE Pass and apply your regtweaks than they will be present for that user only. But not for users you'll create in future - I'm talking here about the Current_User-Tweaks only.

I've a solution to install the regtweaks for the .Default-User profile but it's more complicated and setup takes much longer than. Here is a short overview:

- I let run my unattended setup.

- At the end - OOBE Pass - I autologon the Administrator and use Runsynchronous - insert in my Autounattend.xml - to execute my Regtweaks.reg.

- With a second Runsynchronous I start sysprep /generalize /quiet /oobe /quit /unattend:%Systemdrive%\Install\Unattend.xml.

- The second Unattend.xml contains the tag <CopyProfile>, which will copy the Administrator profile to .Default User Profile during generalization.

Do you know an "easier" way to get the Current_User tweaks to .Default User? "Problem" ATM is, that sysprep part takes very long.

I know that you could edit the Registry "offline", too. But I would prefere applying it during Setup online.

Martin

There's the Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup | CopyProfile true tha does the same thing a the resceal function on XP:

All modifications applied during the audit pass are copied to the defaut user

There's the Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup | CopyProfile true tha does the same thing a the resceal function on XP:

Thanks, EmRoD, that's true. But "problem" is that you are forced to run sysprep to use this setting and than setup takes much longer. I konw, if you want to capture the image for deployment you've to run sysprep anyway.

But there are situations, where it would not be necessary to sysprep the machine and than it's a long taking procedure for little regtweaks.

Martin