windows update

FthrJACK

last week i formatted my pc, since then i have had problems with ram leaks from my sound card (creative) now, i know that i should get the newer driver from windows update, but i went ran it, and only 3 updates are available for my pc, odd i thought, so i check "instalation history" and what do ya know.. all the stuff i installed BEFORE the format. now, im guessing that it must log my ip, and thinks that nobody ever formats thier pc :mad:

so here i am trying to figure out how to get all those updates it says i already have and wondering if it is just the ip it logs.. or something else, has anyone on dialup noticed the same thing?

Yo FthrJACK -- just open up the Windows Update thingy (from Help & Support) and then click 'Personalize Windows Update' then - check the box for 'Display the linkto the Windows Update Catalog'. The link will then show up in the left hand pane - and yo should be able to see ALL updates ever published!!!

LS

I was about to ask you to do that FthrJack, I might be wrong, but I recall reading in some forum/site (somewhere) that the updates are logged within a file on your system, and they use that file to determine your updates....

I must admit, what happened in your scenario is very odd..

Keep us posted.. thanks

Thats true sedative, you have a point. So it goes back to files being inbedded in IE then, but still seems strange he couldnt get any updates after a format. Ive never had a promblem and you guys no I format all the time

-XPerties

I too have found the same thing when i did a reinstall some time ago. Reformatted the h/drive etc then logged into update and it basically said i already had them. Would love to know how they log you when you visit the site.