ms audio codec issue

Hello gang,

I've a very strange problem with my server 2003 box, it seems that while I was fiddeling with audio codec's, I somehow had all the MS default codec's wiped from my system. Apparently I've successfully installed them all back, except for 2.

They are:

"Windows Media Audio" and "Microsoft PCM Converter"

(For those who want to see the info on these, goto Computer Management, then Hardware Devices, expand Sounds n Audio devices, open up Audio Codecs, and properties list them)

I've searched all over for a solution, I've done searches on another computer to find (maybe) what I can tweak to fix it on my main box (registry patching fails; searched windows folder, came up blank).

The last thing I would try would be monitor every file on my other computer, and remove these codec's so I could add them in (maybe).. But I'd rather format my main.

Also, I tried the Add/Remove -> Windows component to look for anything there for multimedia / sounds and audio, but I'm thinking that was from the 2000 days (maybe XP but I don't use it so can't check it)

Thanks for suggestions, hopefully a solution :)

Edited by mMiniImManN

Yes, I have found that page as well, except I've WMP 10 installed, and that file barked at me :o

And don't know if it's necessary to upgrade something that works....

How about the "Microsoft PCM Converter" codec, do you think that would also be fixed as well if I upgraded to WMP 11?

Ok, I've learned that WMP11 is for XP only... not for server 2003 yet.

And just out of luck, I was able to re-enable the "Windows Media Audio" under Audio Codec's via an option in this K-Lite Mega pack thingie...

Now, all I need help with is the "Microsoft PCM Converter"... maybe reinstalling my audio device drivers (built in to my Abit AB9) will fix this; I'll report back.

Edited by mMiniImManN