Edit File Type Associations?

mehargags

I have been using vista for testing purposes for a month now, & One big quirk i came across is that Microsoft just omitted the File type association Dialog where u can manipulate associations with different programs. I normall Do this for AVIs, MKVs & other media file so as to run them with VLC, Media Player Classic, & some other software.

has someone figured out a way to do that ?

It wasn't omitted, its right there in Control Panel

Start\Control Panel\Default Programs\'Associate a file type or protocol with a program'

A month? :whistle:

I have been using vista for testing purposes for a month now, & One big quirk i came across is that Microsoft just omitted the File type association Dialog where u can manipulate associations with different programs. I normall Do this for AVIs, MKVs & other media file so as to run them with VLC, Media Player Classic, & some other software.

has someone figured out a way to do that ?

Edited by Spooky

It wasn't omitted, its right there in Control Panel

Start\Control Panel\Default Programs\'Associate a file type or protocol with a program'

Well I know that applet, but if u check there it just lets u associate a filetype with a single player & that too in a dumb "open With" sort of way.

If i wanna associate the AVI file with 3 different players with some custom parameters, there is no way to do that. I guess the SP style File type association dialog was literally omitted. Any more suggestions ?

I haven't had Vista installed for about a month now (waiting for the retail release), but isn't there still an "Open With..." when you right click a file? If so you could check "always open with this program."

Yeah, I did notice that the huge list of file types and the folder options wasn't apparent. I only saw that Control Panel applet which certainly didn't list all the file types or programs.