mce to xp

is there a way to down grade windows media centre to win xp the reason i want to do this is

my new usb tv tuner win not work with mce it istall ok but when i try to do tune the channels in i get this error mes

(cannot remove system shell notification icon) tried tuner on other pc with xp and works ok. i can not put xp on my computer as its from pc world and i have only a back up disk and got no drivers disk for my hardware . tia for any help

Well if you have the time and skills, you can make a new XP CD from your old MCE CD (if you have one) and using nLite to cut the MC from it. But that wont make it into an XP, it will just remove the MC.

• 3 weeks later...

i have not got mce i got my computer from pc world so only got the back up cd but if i not bad at windows so if there was a guide i think i would be able to do it tia plus i have noticed that firewalls do not start with mce when boot up you have got to run them when computer starts your self have tried all diff firewalls from za out post sysgate nortons tiny loads and all are the same

• 4 weeks later...
In other words it will be XP Pro as you're removing MC components! lol
Actuallly, it would be like Windows XP Professional less the ability to join a domain.

Exactly, you cant actually call MCE XP Pro. One of the main functions of pro is that it can join a domain. MCE with out the Media Center plugin is really just a beefy home version. I hate how people say MCE is pro, if that was the case I wouldnt have spent the last 2 weeks trying to combine the two. MCE is NOT PRO and shouldnt be called pro no matter what the install says.

In other words it will be XP Pro as you're removing MC components! lol
Actuallly, it would be like Windows XP Professional less the ability to join a domain.

Actually it would be Pro with the ability to join a Domain and all of the other advantages of Pro. The only major differance is that it will install WMP 10 instead of WMP 9.

I've used my MCE CD to install Pro on a number of my own PCs.