Printer Sharing

MtK

Hi,

I have one Vista machine with a Samsung SCX-4612F install & shared (connected via USB)

From my second Vista machine I'm trying to install this Network Printer, but I always get this error:

Windows cannot connect to the printer.

There is not enough memory to complete the operation.

Please close some programs and try again.

I have 1GB ram, isn't that enough for Vista?

This is similar to the XP error of this type. It's not that you don't have enough memory - it's that something else is hogging that memory (be it the RAM or the swapfile).

Do you have Vista compatible drivers for this printer? If so, I'd suggest uninstalling the old drivers and installing the latest version. BUT, it may or may not help. Could be a driver compatibility issue that you'll have to address with Samsung.

This is similar to the XP error of this type. It's not that you don't have enough memory - it's that something else is hogging that memory (be it the RAM or the swapfile).

Do you have Vista compatible drivers for this printer? If so, I'd suggest uninstalling the old drivers and installing the latest version. BUT, it may or may not help. Could be a driver compatibility issue that you'll have to address with Samsung.

I do not have compatible Vista drivers, I'm using those for XP (which worked on XP with same machines).

I'll try contacting Samsung...

10X

You mean a SCX-4216F? There aren't any Vista drivers for the 4216F. Samsung is bad about drivers anyway, the drivers they produce are for what ever OS was most plentiful at the time the product was produced with no support for future OS's in terms of drivers even when the OS is released. This is one of the reasons I don't like Samsung products.

Edited by Spooky

You mean a SCX-4216F? There aren't any Vista drivers for the 4216F. Samsung is bad about drivers anyway, the drivers they produce are for what ever OS was most plentiful at the time the product was produced with no support for future OS's in terms of drivers even when the OS is released. This is one of the reasons I don't like Samsung products.

You're saying I won't have Vista driver for this Printer in the near future?

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I'm happy to announce that Samsung has released Vista drivers for this printer, which luckily solved many issue regarding the scanner & fax.

But I still can't set the printer as a Remote Printer (same memory low error)

any ideas now?

• 2 weeks later...

OK,

I have tried to install the printer locally to the Laptop & it works fine, which means the drivers are OK (they were before I was just reassuring).

But still, I can't install the printer over the network...

I also have the Samsung SCX-4100 on my network, being shared from a Dell desktop running Windows XP. I was also getting the same error setting up the printer over the network:

Windows cannot connect to the printer. There is not enough memory to complete this operation. Please close some programs and try again.

I found a workaround which allows me to print from my laptop running Vista Business edition, by using this technique described by Microsoft: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314499

I just opened Windows PowerShell (or you could use the Command Prompt) and executed the following line:

net use LPT# \\server\printer /persistent:yes

substituting for #, server, and printer as appropriate for your network.

Though they originally intended it for printing to the network from DOS programs running in Windows XP, I was able to set up my Samsung printer to print to LPT1 and mapped that port to my network printer. So far it works, until Microsoft or Samsung fix this bug. This may work for other printers as well.

I tried this already but it didn't work.

The solution was simple:

Samsung released the SCX-4100 drivers in the SCX-4126 section, so the installation failed.

Checking again the Samsung site revealed a Driver correction, & a successfull installation via network. :whistle: