DVD player

Petr

Hello,

what DVD (video) player would you recommend for Windows 98? I only read that dvdplay.exe that is part of Windows 98 does not work without 3rd party DVD decoder.

I'm looking for some easy-to-use application that has minimum hardware requirements, i.e. gives good results even on old computers.

The only feature that seems not to be in all players is a possibility to select the DVD drive for playback.

Petr

Hello,

what DVD (video) player would you recommend for Windows 98? I only read that dvdplay.exe that is part of Windows 98 does not work without 3rd party DVD decoder.

I'm looking for some easy-to-use application that has minimum hardware requirements, i.e. gives good results even on old computers.

The only feature that seems not to be in all players is a possibility to select the DVD drive for playback.

Petr

Media player classic with its inbuilt dvd decoder might be useful

Petr, MPC is quite good but you can try also Zoom Player Standard (version 5.00 was just released) but honestly I don't know hardware requirements.

Unfortunately:

"DVD Support is only available in Zoom Player Professional. Buy now!"

Before installing Zoom Player Standard Windows 98 SE DVDPlay.exe plays audio and not video.

After installing Zoom Player Standard Windows 98 SE DVDPlay.exe plays video and not audio.

Petr

Edited by Petr

Advantages + disadvantages of using dvdplay.exe in Windows 98/98 SE:

http://www.mdgx.com/newtip16.htm#FDP

IMO:

I use PowerDVD 5.0 [$$$ = not free]:

http://www.cyberlink.com/multi/products/main_1_ENU.html

Best full featured DVD player I know of.

PowerDVD 4.0 works great with older hardware in my experience.

WinDVD is also decent, but also $$$ [not free]:

http://www.intervideo.com/WinDVD/

HTH

I use MPC to watch everything but DVD's. Not that it doesn't work, it works fine. I also prefer PowerDVD (6.0), much more features, better menu support, much better sound and faster. It cost $ for sure, it can't beat MPC on that, but I think it is the best DVD player.

And I was so lucky to get a free copy together with a videocard. What made me not so happy was that it came together with a complete bloated DVD copy, write, edit, etc. etc. suite that takes over your system and wants to "call home" all the time. After registering my legal copy it still wants to do that. But after you have removed all that crap, ( by it's own uninstallers, no real problem but why force me to install it anyway?) then it's very good.