Some help needed with frontpage 2003.

ok i searched but did see anything.

i like to have a page in my frontpage that act like a blog.with a post new form so i add post in it and press post and they appear in the page so i dont need to edit the page everytime.

and ofcourse how to add forum?i know there are ready scripts for them on web so anyone have a link to a good and reliable one?

thanks.

In order to create such an application, dynamic coding would be your best bet, PHP or ASP. Also, using a database would help such as mySQL. You would need a page where you can enter your post and another page (probably your index) that will retrieve the post. If you don't know/want to code your own, try using a premade blog software such as Wordpress.

OMG is there any way that i can do this without having knowledge of php or my sql? any n00ber way?

The only noob way to actually do this would just be editing your page each time with your post, which can be a bit tedius. Also, there are a variety of forum softwares availiable, here are some that use php & mysql:

SMF (Free)

phpBB (Free)

Invision Power Board (Paid)

vBulletin (Paid)

You may also want to check out this wiki article, displaying pros and cons of each software. If you can get hold of a copy of IPB 2.0 Beta (It is free to use), I would strongly reccomend using that as it is far better than phpbb (in my eyes). Also, SMF has a "package" system which allows you to easily install and un-install mods ;)

There are also a variety of websites which hose forums for free too, including:

Proboards

Hosted Board

EZForum

To be honest, I would stay away from these as you don't have complete access and there are limits on customizations, modifications etc.

Hope this helps you :)

Nad

Browse on over to DeveloperSide.net.

They have put together a WAMP package (Windows/Apache/MySQL/PHP) with Wordpress, Joomla, MediaWiki, phpBB and Drupal preinstalled. Joomla and Drupal are opensource Content Management Systems.

I've only played with Joomla so far; Drupal I believe has a forum component as a part of it's core install.

thanks for the links guys.i guess my only way is to learn how to do it :wacko:

Edit:ok i installed wordpress.3 questions:

1.how can i edit the wordpress theme and pannels at the right like i easily do in blogger? i mean is there any plug-in or software for that?

2.is there any way that i can have a blogger ibside the page i create with frontpage? (like the main page of msfn.org)

3.why when i click on some links on the wordpress index page i get the HTTP ERROR 404?(page cannot be found)

Edited by fatalwoomera

• 3 weeks later...

1) you can visit the themes section of the wordpress site - http://wordpress.org/extend/themes/ - they have lots of themes availiable for download.

2)open the template files (index.php) and make the necessary modifications you want to add. you could also use an iframe:

<iframe src="http://www.yourblog.com/path/to/blog/index.php"> height="600" width="600"></iframe>

3)try checking your config files to ensure you have the correct url set up. also check ALL the files have been uploaded. if not, open up the files and modify the links you cannot access so they work.

Hope these direct you to the right direction!

Nad