Q: Create user account during GUI Mode Setup

Hi,

If I create a user account during the GUI Mode Setup instead of the pre-gui setup mode that uses the cmdline.txt, will Windows still login with the new user account but not the Adminstrator account? Or do you have to create the user account in cmdline.txt? And then finally install the applications and hotfixes, etc... using the newly created user account.

-Kenneth

Chicken and egg. It'd be tough to log onto the new user account in GuiReboot, if hasn't been created yet. You could, I supose, make it even more complicated and use multiple reboots and scripts ... Sorry to see that creating user has not stopped bugging you yet. You could not get it to work in CMDLINES.TXT part of setup?

Keep plugging ...

Thanks for everyone who replied my question.

GreenMahcine: Yes I'm still having the same problem. Not sure what is causing. I thought maybe the workaround is to create the user account in the GUI mode. I guess maybe I should enable the Welcome Screen so the user account is created manually for now. Will that work?

-Kenneth

Sorry, by CMDLINES.TXT I am refering to a point in time, more than a program reference. It has become a de-facto standard to call a bat/cmd file from CMDLINES.TXT, as the syntax there is a bit too restrictive. As I recall, this is also the method that was originally in use.

You can always use the activate welcome method, but that would be no better than auotlogon to the administrators account, creating a user, and forcing a reboot. The only problem I have with that method is that the autologon method is used. I disactivate the Administrators account from CMDLINES.TXT, and it is NEVER logged into. Fortunately, 'most everyone else is not like me. So if you do not have an objection to the autlogon, go for it.

Concerning the real problem of not being able to create the user using the standard procedure: that would bug me to much. In fact it does already, but I cannot reproduce the problem. If I were you I would certainly have done a 99.9% clean install by now, only adding the user. If that works, then it's something else you are doing. If it don't work .. well you could always pull your hair out!

Let us know which route you take.

Thanks for the lengthen explaination of the issue. For me, my only goal is to create a default user so that I can use to install some of the programs that is requires it such Powertoys Tweakui for multiple user accounts and not to use the Adminstrator account to install it. Everything else such as the Windows Component updates can be installed in cmdline.txt with no problem.

Tomorrow, I'm going to your method and let you know what the result is.

-Kenneth