Remove Outlook Express

MGadAllah

I'd try it out in a VM first to ensure you get all the functionality you want. Outlook is known to rely heavily on OE so you need to test this first to be safe.

I remove OE, but I'm an HFSLIP user so the results are likely different. For me, Outlook 2003 worked great except for pop3 support. I had to reinstall the OS with OE to get pop3 working.

Thunderbird does not require OE. I think it can be considered portable; the profiles, at least.

If you need pop3 but not Exchange then you are probably better off using Thunderbird. I liked Thunderbird a lot but decided to move into an Exchange environment for the groupware features.

• 4 months later...

We installed WinFLP here without OE, but would like to use Outlook XP (Outlook 2002) just to read PST files (calendar, contacts, etc...). Outlook installed with a couple errors, but wouldn't run complaining that OE was not installed.

I know we could just export the data to Excel or something & then set up a viewing scenario with the database, but prefer to do it with Outlook if possible.

Uninstalled Outlook for now, but...

Any work around...a way to trick Outlook into thinking OE is installed so it will at least run for some functions?

ThaNX

Your best bet is to leave OE installed if you are using Outlook.
Really? :unsure: ...to read PST files that OE doesn't even support? :huh:K, thaNX for the opinion.

Guess the question wasn't properly worded, sorry.

How to make Outlook XP run without OE installed & without installing OE.

ThaNX

You can run Outlook w/o OE but some things won't work. I did it for a while, but ran into too many limitations. Having OE installed is the most foolproof way to go.

I did this using HFSLIP and HFCLEANUP to remove OE and other components.

...using HFSLIP and HFCLEANUP to remove OE and other components...
ThaNX...

Wow, I am not communicating well :blushing:

I gather "using HFSLIP and HFCLEANUP" we wold need to install OE, then install Outlook, the UNinstall OE (using HFSLIP and HFCLEANUP)...

We are trying to find a way to

make Outlook XP run without OE installed & without installing OE
...as OE is NOT currently installed & we wish to avoid it completely. Hopefully we are edging toward a solution here... B)

Sorry about that...I got to this topic via "View New Posts" and hadn't realized that I was in the nLite forum. I have no experience with nLite. The HFSLIP comment was referring to a similar application that is hosted here at MSFN.

I gather "using HFSLIP and HFCLEANUP" we wold need to install OE, then install Outlook, the UNinstall OE (using HFSLIP and HFCLEANUP)...
No. HFSLIP/HFCLEANUP would do what you want. Sorry, but I don't know how to help you do it with nLite. But I'm sure it can do it, too.

...I got to this topic via "View New Posts" and hadn't realized that I was in the nLite forum...
...and I started this inquiry looking for an existing "Outlook Express" thread :sneaky: and also didn't pay attention to the specific forum :lol: - so, I'll find a more appropriate place to post the question.

Sorry for sidetracking readers...