nLite hoses Promise WebPAM/Java utility

cpumemhd

After installing the Promise WebPAM utility I get this error logging into the browser UI:

"HTTP ERROR: 500 Unable+to+compile+class+for+JSP............(long)......"

I've selected:

- Components

- Unattended

- Options

- Tweaks

- Bootable CD

Nothing in Components have been deselected. Only Unattended/Options/Tweaks have been changed. What could cause this?

The WebPAM utility is based on the Jetty Java web server. It works fine on a normall XP install.

Okay kiddies... no one's coughed up any suggestions. Nevertheless I've been pounding away at the problem. It's coming down to the wire. After around 25 XPP installs (up to 5 simultaneous in vmware), I'm down to three possible culprits:

- Remove shared documents

- Disable simple file sharing

- Use Windows classic folders / no tasks sidepanel

Which will it be.... any takers?

I FOUND THE PROBLEM!

I actually gave up using nlite and decided to edit the HIVEXXX.INFs instead. Then I discovered things weren't so rosy over there either. So I ended up re-integrating a small nLite.inf for the trickery it possesses. Then I realized my lightweight nLine.inf was not enough so I began adding a bell here and a whistle there. Then to test, I ran: cmd.exe /C rundll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSectionEx nLite.inf,nLite,,4,N

After getting things just right I decided to install the WebPAM utility and low and behold, it didn't work AGAIN! Sheeit.

Finally after smoking a cig and gulping my beer, and realizing I'd missed another night of sex with the honey, I took a very deep look at the .INF and look what I found:

HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment","TEMP",0x00020000,"%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp"

HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment","TMP",0x00020000,"%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp"

%USERPROFILE% in HKLM ????

That's totally wrong. It should be %SystemRoot%\TEMP and stay that way.

Now lets have at look at the WINDOWS\TEMP directory after a successful Jetty install:

Directory of C:\WINDOWS\Temp

12/31/2006 05:23 AM <DIR> .

12/31/2006 05:23 AM <DIR> ..

12/31/2006 05:24 AM <DIR> hsperfdata_SYSTEM

12/31/2006 05:24 AM <DIR> Jetty__8443__promise

0 File(s) 0 bytes

4 Dir(s) 6,900,842,496 bytes free

You see, Jetty found it no problem. I'm sure some programs won't have problems using %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp if you install as a logged in AdminUser. But if it's a System User (even if you're logged in) then %USERPROFILE% will not exist, from my understanding. This will cause lots of installations to break IMHO.

One way to test my theory would be to create a C:\Local Settings\Temp and install WebPAM and if it works, then I'm right. But I've ran out of time for today/this morning.

** In case you don't understand the problem: installing nLite.inf a second time changes the System TEMP var to: %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp, otherwise it stays at %SystemRoot%\TEMP. Even though it looks like it should have changed it the first time. And apparantly, lots of tweaks will cause the [T] section to run twice perhaps? I have not spotted this, but I believe this is what's happening.

NLITE.INF:

[Version]

Signature = "$Windows NT$"

[Optional Components]

nLite

[nLite]

OptionDesc = "nLite"

Tip = "Windows component removal adjustments and tweaks."

Modes = 0,1,2,3

AddReg = T

AddReg = TO

[L]

DelReg = LD

AddReg = T

[LD]

AddReg = T

[T]

HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update","AUOptions",0x00010001,1

HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore","DisableSR",0x00010001,1

HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Sr\Parameters","FirstRun",0x00010001,1

HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment","TEMP",0x00020000,"%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp"

HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment","TMP",0x00020000,"%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp"

HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\wuauserv","Start",0x00010021,4

HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ERSvc","Start",0x00010021,4

HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\FastUserSwitchingCompatibility","Start",0x00010021,4

HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\mnmsrvc","Start",0x00010021,4

HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\wscsvc","Start",0x00010021,4

HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\srservice","Start",0x00010021,4

HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Themes","Start",0x00010021,4

[C]

BitReg = B

AddReg = CT

[CT]

HKCU,"Environment","TEMP",0x00020000,"%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp"

HKCU,"Environment","TMP",0x00020000,"%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp"

[TO]

HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce","nlpo_01",0x00020000,"rundll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSectionEx nlite.inf,U,,4,N"

HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce","nlpo_02",0x00020000,"cmd.exe /c md ""%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp"""

HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce","nlpo_03",0x00020000,"rundll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSectionEx nlite.inf,U,,4,N"

Edited by cpumemhd

is normal.

In fact, USERPROFILE won't be evaluated during the installation and it will stay like that in the registry.

You problem might rather be with spaces : USERPROFILE contains "Documents And Settings". And it already caused me one or two problem : now I rename Documents and Settings to DocsAndSettings (and Program Files to Programs). :)

cpumemhd, nice find about the hivesys, correcting. Even though it didn't cause any issues because nlite inf overwrites it during install with the correct line.

However after reading your post twice do you mean I shouldn't edit the System Temp variable even though the user selects another folder for it or that just applies when it actually changed it for no reason (also a bug) ?

• 1 month later...
cpumemhd, nice find about the hivesys, correcting. Even though it didn't cause any issues because nlite inf overwrites it during install with the correct line.

However after reading your post twice do you mean I shouldn't edit the System Temp variable even though the user selects another folder for it or that just applies when it actually changed it for no reason (also a bug) ?

nuhi,

Sorry I pooped out on this and didn't come back to check for followups. It won't work with out a HKLM\SYSTEM temp variable. I tried that. But I do have everything working with this:

HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment","TEMP",0x00020000,"%SystemRoot%\TEMP"

HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment","TMP",0x00020000,"%SystemRoot%\TEMP"

I don't believe you should change the system temp variable to anything other than the default (%SystemRoot%\TEMP) because if no user is logged in, there is no %USERNAME%, no %USERPROFILE%, hence, no %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp

I would expect most programs to validate the %TEMP% variable, and if not found then create a randomly named directory at the root and install from there (eg. %SystemDrive%\myapp001.tmp). But Jetty doesn't do this. It wants to see an existing temp directory.

If you leave %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp as the system temp, then this will likely break some installations that don't require a logged in user and are too lazy to create there own temp directory when %TEMP% doesn't exist.

I could see this happening with say, SMS, Zenworks, etc. using SYSTEM user credentials.

Just to clarify, WebPAM, which uses Jetty does install. But the app doesn't work properly. This might really be a ZeroG problem (the java installer now owned by Macrovision/Installshield).

Also, it doesn't have anything to do with the install directory location. It's not actually installing in the WINDOWS\TEMP directory. It just doesn't cleanup properly, that's why you see the jetty directory.

A good guess would be that ZeroG works around the bad %TEMP% directory, continues installing, then custom scripts run at the end that try to copy files from the non-existing %TEMP% directory.

cpumemhd, to tell you the truth I think you did found a bug, now when checking the Windows set it with HKCU but I use both HKCU and HKLM probably because in some trial it didn't work with only HKCU but since then the reapply technique was upgraded so I'll return to HKCU only as it should have been, thank you for bumping this thread. I too use WINDOWS\TEMP so I don't experience any issues, also latest nlite won't reapply the default Temp folder and mess things up on accident but still needs this fix for people who use userprofile with tiny change in the path. Btw nLite creates the temp folder chosen, but gonna recheck that too.

• 2 weeks later...
cpumemhd, to tell you the truth I think you did found a bug, now when checking the Windows set it with HKCU but I use both HKCU and HKLM probably because in some trial it didn't work with only HKCU but since then the reapply technique was upgraded so I'll return to HKCU only as it should have been, thank you for bumping this thread. I too use WINDOWS\TEMP so I don't experience any issues, also latest nlite won't reapply the default Temp folder and mess things up on accident but still needs this fix for people who use userprofile with tiny change in the path. Btw nLite creates the temp folder chosen, but gonna recheck that too.

nuhi,

To clarify some more, I use...

HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment","TEMP",0x00020000,"%SystemRoot%\TEMP"

HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment","TMP",0x00020000,"%SystemRoot%\TEMP"

... in the [T] HKLM section of NLITE.INF and...

... in the [CT] HKCU section of NLITE.INF

No problems so far.

You do realize that Windows set

by default in the hives? No reason to reapply it.

So you're telling me I just need to change HKLM for it to work? (I don't think that will work)

What's the problem with the 1.3rc2, have you tried it?

• 9 months later...

hello!

i have the same problem! installed webpam for my fasttrack TX4310-controller-card.

if i try to start webpam in my browser (any browser) i get this error:

HTTP ERROR: 500 Unable+to+compile+class+for+JSP%0A%0AAn+error+occurred+at+line%3A+%2D1+in+the+jsp+file%3A+null%0A%0AGenerated+servlet+error%3A%0A++++%5Bjavac%5D+Since+fork+is+true%2C+ignoring+compiler+setting%2E%0A++++%5Bjavac%5D+Compiling+1+source+file%0A++++%5Bjavac%5D+Since+fork+is+true%2C+ignoring+compiler+setting%2E%0A++++%5Bjavac%5D+javac%3A+invalid+flag%3A+C%3A%5CDokumente%0A++++%5Bjavac%5D+Usage%3A+javac+%3Coptions%3E+%3Csource+files%3E%0A++++%5Bjavac%5D+use+%2Dhelp+for+a+list+of+possible+options%0A%0A%0A

RequestURI=/promise/