Windows Media Unattended Tool by Microsoft

easyindian

Install Windows Media in your PC

Install this tool

Rename the media player installation file(MP10Setup.EXE/wmp11-windowsxp-x86-enu.exe) to MPSetup.EXE and put it in Redist Folder

go to C:\MPEDP and run mpedp. answer the questions and MSI file will be generated in Release folder :-) You can use MSI command line parameters

Enterprise Deployment Pack for Windows Media

Hope this helps

Thanks, this might be very usefull!

Have you tried it with WMP11?:

The latest version of the Enterprise Deployment Pack includes support for:

Windows Media Player 10

Windows Media Player 9 Series

Standard Microsoft hotfix packages

Edited by bucketbuster

wow, that is nice. finally ms gives us a tool to deply windows media.

what about wga? anyone if the created msi will check for WGA? im asking this because i have a lot of clients that dont have validated computers.

thanks.

My post description says WMP11, in post content wmp11 filename is included. still u want to know whether it works with wmp11? ;-)

This utility is around for sometime now. but the M$ uses a nonsense name for it. so it is difficult to find in a search with windows media key words.

I prefer u install wmp11 first open and set preferences and music store. then run this utility. answer the question to add preferences from local machine. so when u install it on target machine and run it, it wont ask for validation, preferences, URGE setup, etc..

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Thank you very much for this way to integrate WMP11 into unattended WinXP installation.

Just a question, which can be stupid, but which is blocking for me.

I did as explained in the tutorial, got my .msi file, but everytime I launch it, either from "run" or from my unattended CD, the dialog box with the unattended suffix list (as if I had typed mpsetupedp.msi /help) appears. This happens if I type no suffix or /qn or whatever else.

If anyone had an idea of a potential solution, I would really appreciate

Thanks in advance

I prefer u install wmp11 first open and set preferences and music store. then run this utility. answer the question to add preferences from local machine. so when u install it on target machine and run it, it wont ask for validation, preferences, URGE setup, etc..

No problems then

Sorry, my question was not detailed enough.

That is what I did. On my WinXP, I have installed WMP 11, then set all I was asked (confidentiality, file association, etc...). Then I closed my WMP and proceed the way you mentionned by selecting yes to all I was asked in the mpedp.exe cmd box.

The msi file is created without errors and when I launch it, whatever the suffix is, it expands in a temporary folder and right after this launches the /help window. When I click OK, the install process is stopped and the temporary folder is deleted.

The problem is that I don't see the meaning of this /help box appearing. I initially thought I had written the wrong suffix but I tried everything and it won't change.

BTW, could you explain me what a URGE setup is?

Thank you for your help

OK. Try a fresh install of WMP11. not using command line parameters or unattended. double click the exe, validate, install, select preferences, etc...

URGE is a music service by MTV built into WMP11. It's the same as Apple's iTunes or Real network's Rhapsody. You can choose to configure URGE if you have an account with them or you prefer to. otherwise skip it.

I did not face any problems with this method as I have already installed it using unattended XP CD in more than 10 times.

OR

Try starting the MSI with msiexec process. Like..... msiexec /i WMP11.MSI

Please let me know if you still facing the problem.

Edited by easyindian

Well...

I tried some other things, nothing worked!

I first did exactly as you mentionned, redownload a proper version on the link below :

http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/0...p-x86-FR-FR.exe

Then, I reinstalled it on my WinXP (without any issue), and did the procedure you explained once again, and finally ran the MPEDP. I tried with and without importing the computer settings and I also tried with an english version of WMP11. Each time I have the following windows : http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/892/helpwmp11uh6.jpg

Could you please do me a favor and try creating a msi file with the french version linked above and keep me aware?

Thanks a lot

Edited by regiscb

sorry my friend.

I think you have bad luck! i downloaded the French version you mentioned and made the MSI with settings from my computer. The installation started without a problem. I am using windows xp english. i did not get any help screen as you mentioned.

Sorry man. try in another system

Edited by easyindian