Why move to Vista?

yronnen

Ok, perhaps someone already asked this question but here I go again:

What exactly do I get from upgrading to Vista? It's a huge spyware which follows every move I take. I (semi) understand the need for the activation feature already in XP, but why probe my PC every day? Also, it seems like that instead of letting me do more, this OS makes sure I do less, and supervises it. Making sure that we cannot copy HD content or even DVD content and I can just go on and on.

So I get some transperancy features, is that a good reason to upgrade?

What do you think?

If it's been asked before search for it and reply there. Don't clutter the forum.

read about it and decide for yourself. Only you can decide if it's right for you.

Windows Vista

In my opinion Vista rocks! All previous suck in comparison.

Why drive an old Pinto when you can drive a new Ferrari.

Edited by jaws75

Cause there's no support for 98se and XP sucks.

Wrong!! Windows XP is a very good OS. It is 98SE that sucks and it is a great thing that there is no support for it!! XP should be supported for a long long long time to come as it is already a good OS.

Cause there's no support for 98se and XP sucks.

Wrong!! Windows XP is a very good OS. It is 98SE that sucks and it is a great thing that there is no support for it!! XP should be supported for a long long long time to come as it is already a good OS.

XP is a good OS, but this presents a problem to Microsoft: why upgrade from a reliable OS? I'm sure that lots of IT managers think the same. Perhaps by reducing support and simply selling new PCs with Vista only will cause people to upgrade to Vista. It worked with the transition from Win2k to xp.

A project as large as Vista is bound to have security flaws, more so than even XP, in my opinion. I wouldn't be surprised if a year from now, Microsoft will regret marketing "security" as one of the benefits for migrating. And though few of us will admit it, I'm sure that a majority of the tech-savvy crowd will migrate just for the sake of having the "newest" version of Windows.

A project as large as Vista is bound to have security flaws, more so than even XP, in my opinion. I wouldn't be surprised if a year from now, Microsoft will regret marketing "security" as one of the benefits for migrating. And though few of us will admit it, I'm sure that a majority of the tech-savvy crowd will migrate just for the sake of having the "newest" version of Windows.

That's exactly why I'm sticking to xp for a (good) while to come.

Good rule to follow: Upgrade only when absolutely necessary.
In other words, if you have software that must require Vista to run (currently rare).

Otherwise, an XP is fine too.

Edited by LLXX

Heh, this is actually a trick question if you ask me. Depends what you use the computer for, because a lot of programs dont work with Vista, yet. If you like some of us, love to sniff to what's new, and cant stand that someone you know is running a newer system than you, then yes of course you should make the move. I did, and I'm not dissappointed at all.

On the other hand, if you're looking for a totally stable, flawless and pretty secure OS, stick with XP, since everything is compatible with XP.

In my opinion Vista kicks some serious a** on the visual front, and I'm sure some of the more hardware related changes will show off in a few months. However, I must admit that I hate Vista for being so SUPER-userfriendly.

Cheers B)

Yeah look at the end of the day we will end using it whether its 2 years down the track of after there 3rd service pack!

i was still using 98 two years after XP was out so it may be the same with Vista, Now i have been trying all the release's from 5200 and up it was starting to grow on me but it just felt wrong i mean come on 40 prosesses running Ummm... WHAT??

This is a little off-topic, but I have a question:

Why did Microsoft add so many features to Vista to make it slower, then added ReadyBoost and Superfetch and other stuff to make it faster? Why not just have a "fixed and cleaned" version of XP, instead of a WHOLE NEW INTERFACE WITH BUGS AND FLAWS?

because GDI+ rendering on the GUI was old and out dated, WPF (windows presentation foundation aka, aero) is faster, easier to render with and will support the up and coming version on DX10, having aero on or off costs you very little in terms of resources, if all MS did was realease a fixed and cleaned version of XP, what incentive would anyone have to go to it other then it fixes a few bugs that would most likely by fixed in XP sooner or later? Features and fucntionality are primary reasons for upgrading an OS.

I have a question. Why do you want the forum to try and sell you on upgrading to Vista? I mean, it seems you are ready to believe what you percieve as reasons for you not to upgrade even though they are not necessarly correct. From your question it seems youv'e already made up your mind to begin with, so why are you asking the forum to help you decide?

I'm not being critical of your post or question, i'm just curious if your asking a legitimate question because you want some good information on which to base a suitable decision.

If your question is legitimate then;

"It's a huge spyware which follows every move I take"

How so? Its not spyware and it doesn't follow every move you take. It simply does what every OS on the market does, see where you are at, respond to where you want to go, and take you to your destination. Every OS does this, yes even Linux, there is no GUI based OS that doesn't do this, they just may all use different methods to do it.

"but why probe my PC every day?"

I'm not sure what you mean by this. If you mean the indexing, its not probing anything, its simply and basically keeping track of the files on the computer so it can find them for you if you want to see or use them. It was one of the number one things that consumers wanted from a new MS OS and MS simply responded to the markets request. You can turn it off just like you can turn off any similar feature in other OS's. If you talking about Defender, its no different from any anti-virus/spyware software you might install, again, you can turn it off if you don't like it just like you can turn off any anti-virus/spyware software if you don't want to use it. If your talking about any external probes from the internet for example, it could be lots of things, thats why we have firewalls for OS's and in routers, just like for any other OS.

"Also, it seems like that instead of letting me do more, this OS makes sure I do less, and supervises it."

Vista does a great job of leaveraging the productivity angle in favor of the user if they use it properly. Granted, there are some things that are so totally different that they seem to be a hinderance, and I agree that there are some things that might hinder a power or advanced user initially because of a change in functionality or something being done differently in Vista that was done in more familiar ways in past windows OS, these might hinder a more advanced user until they get used to them. How does the OS make sure that you do less? How does it 'supervise' your activity? It doesn't.

"Making sure that we cannot copy HD content or even DVD content and I can just go on and on"

Not sure how you came to this conclusion. Vista doesn't do anything of the sort. I can copy HD and DVD content just fine. At the core there is some DRM stuff, but once you install the right software it doesn't affect anything you do, just like any past windows OS. I'm not aware of any OS that prohibits you from copying HD or DVD content that you legitimately own or produce. You can go on and on....why?

Like any product on the market, be it a new car - new clothes - food - anything at all, even an operating system, or any software you get, its you that makes the decision. You determine if its right for you, if its what you want. I don't remember anyone twisting my arm and forcing me to use Vista, and i'm pretty sure no one is going to twist your arm either to force you to use Vista. Even if I did not use a windows OS like Vista, I know there are other OS's that would be available to me. Every OS has its good points and its bad points, Vista is not necessarly better or worse then any of them, its just different like everyone of them is different and the choice is up to you.

What exactly do I get from upgrading to Vista? It's a huge spyware which follows every move I take. I (semi) understand the need for the activation feature already in XP, but why probe my PC every day? Also, it seems like that instead of letting me do more, this OS makes sure I do less, and supervises it. Making sure that we cannot copy HD content or even DVD content and I can just go on and on.

So I get some transperancy features, is that a good reason to upgrade?

What do you think?

Edited by Spooky