WinXP MCE 2005 !

Sup fellas, I have'nt posted here in months.. but I need a favor from someone.

I bought a HP Media Center PC for work, it had XP MCE 2005 installed, since the computer was being used @ work, there was no need for MCE 2005, since it can't be networked and used as a 'workstation' type PC.. so I also bought a WinXP Pro (32 Bit) CD and formatted the HP computer and installed XP Pro.

Since I then had a MCE 2005 OS that had'nt been activated yet, I was going to use it @ my home, but low and behold, when I started looking for the HP XP MCE 2005 CD/DVD set, there was'nt any!!! It was on a seperate partition on the harddrive that I just formatted, and deleted and created (1) partition on.. lol???

Sooo... what I need is an 'OEM' copy of Windows XP MCE 2005 Edition.. there is nothing illegal going on here, I have a completely legal serial number that has not been activated yet... all I need is a copy of MCE 2005, it HAS to be 2005, I have a copy of 2004 I downloaded and burned, but it won't accept the 2005 serial number.. this was verified by Microsoft. I contacted HP to get a MCE 2005 CD/DVD set, but they are 'out of stock' and said they are'nt sure when they'll have it in.. what makes me mad is, they do have it, just not under the 'part number' of my PC and won't send me a copy from another PC... MCE 2005 is MCE 2005 .. it may have other drivers embedded in a copy for another PC, but I can work around that, but they don't care, it HAS to be under the part number of my HP PC.

Truthfully.. I perfer a "OEM" copy from some place like NewEgg.com, so it's not HP specific.. I have (3) PC's, all home built, but one of them is using a HP motherboard, so an HP copy will work too.

Anyone have a copy of MCE 2005 they can burn for me, or upload somewhere so I can download it? Non-specific OEM is perferred, but the HP copy will do too...

Once again, there is nothing illegal about this, I have an unactivated legal serial, just lack the CD/DVD set!

Lemme know please by responding here, or emailing: phaTX69@gmail.com

:blink:

Contact HP or Microsoft for replacement media. It isn't allowed by Microsoft to distribute the media for free. You can be expected to either get a freebie from HP, or you'll have to pay up to $45 for the media from Microsoft. :(

Since you have an XP Pro disc already, you really only need the second CD for media center, as XP Pro's PID generator will build against MCE keys, and will identify the key as an MCE key, thus prompting you during setup for the second XP Professional CD (It never asks for the "Media Center CD2"!).

There is another thing to it. I think you'll need a OEM copy from the same company that your licence is from. At least that's how it's working with normal windows xp. Otherwise you won't be able to activate your windows it will expire after 30 days.

However, if you some way could find your the PID number for your licence you could make your own Windows installation CD that would activate. If you still had your old Windows installation it would be a piece of cake to find the PID-number. If you don't it might be more tricky. To find the pid number go to My Computer--> Properties and look at the first 8 digits/letters. Remove the "-".

To make your own installation CD, copy your windows installation CD to a folder on the computer. Then change the PID number in the setupp.ini file under i386 folder. Then make a new bootable CD (look here:http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/winxp-sp2-bootcd.html).

This could perhaps also work with a normal OEM copy of windows XP if you just change the PID number to a MCE version. But then I guess you would have to use the right version. If your MCE was based on Xp prof. you would need to use XP prof. CD to install.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought OEM copies of Windows XP cannot be legally transferred to another computer. They must be installed on the computer it came with... I think you are out of luck.

Since it hasn't been activated yet, it can be activated (and used only) on the hardware that it will be installed and activated on. At least that's what the EULA says...