Nlite burned image doesn't boot up

gdt3822

I am a noob. Would you mind being more specific for me please?

EDIT: I also just found out that I was Using nLite to Put SP2 on an install that had SP2 slipstreamed in already using AutoStreamer. Could that be the problem, or will it just overwrite the existing?

Thanks.

Edited by gdt3822

Be aware that the nLite produced CD will not autorun in the same way as the original Windows CD. By this I mean if you place the nLite CD into your CD drive while booted up in Windows it will not autorun. If you do the same thing with the original CD while in Windows it will bring up the box with all the choices on it - like "browse this CD", "perform additional tasks" etc. This is the welcome screen - it is not an indication of whether the CD you made in nLite is bootable or not, that is a completely different thing which you can only test by setting your PC to boot from the CD drive first. If it still fails then try nuhi's suggestions but I haven't had to do that on any of the nLite CDs I have made so far.

If you want the welcome screen on your nLite CD just copy the autorun.inf and setup.exe over from the original CD after the nLite process but before you make the ISO.

gdt3822, then wait next version I'll put mkisofs in it as an optional ISO Engine.

Mandarin, nlite doesn't do what you don't tell it to. Meaning missing autorun means you removed Manual Install component.

• 1 month later...

I have the same trouble. I've burned a pile of 5 useless coasters in 5 failed tries.

Have tried:

( a ) making a bootable ISO with nLite 1.3rc2 and burning directly with nLite,

( b ) ditto, but then doing the burning with Nero Burning ROM v6.6, disk at once,

( c ) making a bootable ISO with RVM Integrator instead of nLite and then burning with Nero Burning ROM.

I always make sure to select the option in nLite to make it bootable, and I always burn at the slowest allowed speed, usually 8X.

Also, you can select an option inside Nero to make the CD a bootable ISO.

I've tried both with and without that Nero option, because I'm not sure if Nero's option destroys the nLite boot commands already in the .iso image.

The DVD is set as 1st boot device in bios,

but it has never booted yet from the slipstreamed CD. Not once.

Could the Dell WinXP CD be the problem? Or do you think it's a different problem?

Advice appreciated. I joined this forum just to ask this question. Thank you.

Edited by scott14

Isn't Dell like Acer - they ship modified CDs that restore the contents of the HD, rather than providing a disk that can do fresh installs?

I use ImgBurn for all my ISO burning. Both Nero and nLite's burning give me disks with file copy errors, or problems booting. :wacko:

Does the original XP CD boot?

Yes.

QUESTION: Do you know of any commands that I can run from a command line that will make a non-bootable CD start up?

And reply to Kramy:

Isn't Dell like Acer - they ship modified CDs that restore the contents of the HD, rather than providing a disk that can do fresh installs?

I don't know, but if true, then that must be the source of my trouble.

The Dell CD does have some OEM junk that I hope to remove.

• 3 weeks later...

When burning the CD-ROM with Nero Burning ROM,

do you select the option for Nero to make the disk bootable? Or not?

Or does nLite already make it bootable, then also selecting Nero's option to make it bootable too would mess each other up?

I agree totally when it comes to burning a bootable ISO using Nlite it doesnt work.

Nlite should only be used to make a bootable final ISO.......

Nero 6.6 is tried & tested , burnt same image using it works.

Just my thoughts........

Regards!

I always make sure to select the option in nLite to make it bootable, and I always burn at the slowest allowed speed, usually 8X.

Also, you can select an option inside Nero to make the CD a bootable ISO.

I've tried both with and without that Nero option, because I'm not sure if Nero's option destroys the nLite boot commands already in the .iso image.

To make a bootable CD using Nero it is not enough just to choose that option in the nero config tab. You also need the proper bootfiles.zip to be downloaded (bootfiles.zip), extracted and reffered. If you just let that field blank, that's the reason you overwrote the nLite boot files with none. Here is a tutorial I've tested years ago and still working: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=297

As for Burning bootable Media with nLite, it only failed once for me, but then I closed, reopened the nLite, didn't load the last session (because I didn't want to touch the UA files already in the folder) and I burned again - it worked with no problem.

So there are a few tips it might help: set your writer's speed to 8x (check again if you say you did so), try not to handle the drive while in process and also reduce the memory/processor loading with extra operations.

Ciprian.

Edited by ciprianmp

• 3 weeks later...

nLite's ISO didn't create a bootable CD for me either. After checking that my BIOS was checking for a bootable CD, I had a look at the CD itself. I was very surprised to see only the following contents:

DOTNETFX (dir)

I386 (dir)

LAST SESSION (205303.14-16.49.01).INI

LAST SESSION (205303.14-16.49.01)_U.INI

LAST SESSION.INI

LAST SESSION_U.INI

WIN51

WIN51IP

WIN51IP.SP2

I'm pretty sure that's not a Windows installation disc!

What did I do wrong?