Strange DVD RW Drive Problems

A friend has Vista RTM dual booting with Win XP.

His DVD/RW drive is a Samsung TS-H552D

In WinXP his DVD/RW works fine. Burning and reading.

In Vista when he inserts ANY disk, ie: Software DVD or CD, Music CD, Blank CD, Blank DVD, DVD Movie, or any type of media AT ALL the drive spins up, then down and it does nothing.

If you go to the drive through My Computer and double click the drive, with any of the above mentioned media you get the following error message:

"Burn a Disc.

Prepare this blank Disc

Disc Title: "open box for title"

Anyone have any ideas?

thanks

Thise aren't error messages, its asking you what you want to do because either it doesn't recognize the inserted media or it doesn't recognize the full capabilities of the drive (or really the drive its self even tho it shows up. have you tried updating the firmware on the drive?

In Vista when he inserts ANY disk, ie: Software DVD or CD, Music CD, Blank CD, Blank DVD, DVD Movie, or any type of media AT ALL the drive spins up, then down and it does nothing.

If you go to the drive through My Computer and double click the drive, with any of the above mentioned media you get the following error message:

"Burn a Disc.

Prepare this blank Disc

Anyone have any ideas?

thanks

Thise aren't error messages, its asking you what you want to do because either it doesn't recognize the inserted media or it doesn't recognize the full capabilities of the drive (or really the drive its self even tho it shows up. have you tried updating the firmware on the drive?

"Burn a Disc.

Prepare this blank Disc

Anyone have any ideas?

thanks

I understand why it's giving the message, and if it's not the correct message, it's an error.

Yes, I've tried the firmware on Samsung's site. D/L the firmware for the drive listed, opened the flashing utility, loaded the firmware, and get the message that it's not the correct drive. I'm certain that the firmware I D/L was for the same drive, so I'm stuck. I've already told him to purchase another DVD/RW, as cheap as they are, it'll be the easiest way to fix it.

I thought it might be a quirk that someone had a fix to.

Apparently not. thanks anyway. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I can confirm this is problem with Vista.

I have an Optiarc drive. There are no firmware updates.

Windows Media player plays the DVD-video fine.

Every other way to access the file (Explorer, third party explorers, standard file dialogs) results in "prepare this blank disk" message.

The fact media player recognises the disc indicates it's Vista, not the drive which is at fault.

• 3 weeks later...
I also have this problem with a Lite-on SOHC-4832K
many people with plextor drives have similar problems, even after they put the latest firmware on.

there is a kb article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461/en-us (don't know yet if that works),

other suggestions are to remove the device from the device manager and have it detected again at the next reboot

I tried that fix and i did not have either of the things in the registry that needed to be deleted

I have the same problem with my LG 16x DVD burner (HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4167B ATA)

I contacted LG, they said it will only be compatible if/when microsoft releases drivers for it. They will not be making firmware for it as the problem is on MS side. Their suggestion: Buy one of their new burners :|

Same problem with the NEC ND-6650A (firmware 1.23). Updating the firmware to 1.5A RPC1 didn't fix it.

A temporary solution : use the Nero Burning ROM's file browser to run or copy files from the DVD drive.

Edited by bola

Ok everyone i do have a solution to the problem with windows vista

not reading or burning or ever doing anything except for freezing when

inserting a disk these are my stats so we can be clear

im running dual core 48k plus 2.4 ghz dual cpu with a 200 dollar msi board with all kinds of

crazy s*** ati radeon x1300 pro 512 mb vid mem hp 18x dvd lightsribe and all sotrs of all other tech

s*** including a super rocket 2 cpu cooling unit for those of you who overclock this is the best cooler to

use but definitely for overclocking up to 500 mhz plus tested myself

Im running windows vista x64 ultimate rtm

everytime i installed vista off the hard drive which im sure most of you miight have

so you could partition either a dual boot or something else. THAT RIGHT THERE LADIES AND GENTLEMENT

IS THE CAUSE OF THE DVD/CD ROM DRIVE FAILURE DO NOT INSTALL WITHIN ANOTHER WINDOWS OS

BOOT OFF THE CD AND CHOOSE A PARTITION THAT DOESNT CONFLICT WITH VISTA IS IT ABSOLUTELY IMPERATIVE

THAT YOU BOOT OFF THE CD. Otherwise windows doesnt recognice this drive correctly and notthing will make it work

took me 10 days to figure this out so i hopw it helps all of you for those of you who use aim my sn is xz jcspaz 04 there also

other solutions i just cant type up but this is the main reason. do not instlall vista off your hard drive or evenvista not reading disks or anything else burning pics etc solution posted by me feb 24 within windows with

the hard drive or even the cd rom just strickly boot of the install disk and install then i guarantee atleast most you shall have no problems at this point

anything elese i know the os inside out how to tweak it and how to disable the things u dont need to get max performance.

-Jim

I found out how to reproduce the problem on my dual-boot (XP-Vista) laptop.

After installing and running Vista, if I reboot to XP and then to Vista again, the CD/DVD drive does not work anymore (Windows Explorer fails to read/display CD/DVD content).

However, if I reboot from Vista to Vista again, the problem seems to be gone.

Note that I installed Vista from booting the CD, on an empty partition, and that the CD/DVD reading problem was not there in the beginning. It only came after a few days, after I ran XP again!

Edited by bola