hotfix slipstream script v2

NOTE:

There is now a better script by greenmachine which you can find here and I recommend you use that. Thanks to those who helped me with it and to those who gave me feedback.

============

Hello all,

I've updated my hotfix slipstream script originally posted here. As you know, webmedic improved my original script by adding support for the type 2 (and 3?) hotfixes and also has logging (which mine does not).

I've completely re-written this from scratch. I'm using compress.exe v5.0.2134.1 and newer versions like in the 2003 reskit won't work with it as it is.

I've put instructions in the download. If you want to give it a go then I'd appreciate feedback regarding any problems or improvements. All I ask is that you post them here rather than start a new thread with an improved version of it. A lot of time and effort went into it. I'd like to work together to improve it and I'll give you credit for any help. Many thanks.

(link removed)

Edited by royalbox

RHSM V2, Cool!

Glad to see you left the fixes in the I386\SVCPACK directory, I feel safer that way.

I should have waited, 'cause I guess now I'll have to go modify my own version of the code I stole from you ...

Type 2 is not official.
As you said, gotta be careful with the unsupported stuff. Nice to make it easy, but I don't have time on the clock to do MS's debugging. So perhaps those that know can post a list of good and bad?

Thanks for sharing.

@Sunil

One source I've found is the Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools which is a 12MB download!

EDIT: This won't work with the code as it is.

If anyone knows any other legal place to get it please let us know. I don't want to distribute microsoft files and risk geting me or this forum into trouble.

@GreenMachine

Hows it going! I'm with you on this one. I think doing what microsoft themselves suggest must be ok, but I'm getting more and more warey about doing the other hotfixes this way. Even the sp1.cab is a concern.

@Spheris

Yep, I may remove or at least comment out hf2 altogether and play it safe. thanks.

royalbox

You rock !!!!!!

Your script worked. I was not able to get webmedics one to work. It would run make the changes creat the file like yours does, but after install had not IE, OE or network

Your install all the hotfixes even mdac (had to click ok 2 times on that one but did install)

Great job!!!!! :)

One **** happy champer here :rolleyes:

Tbone2

Thanks Tbone2. Nice to hear that it works. I don't know why webmedics one didn't work for you though. I'm still very wary about doing any hotfixes that go into hf2, I have to emphasize that. It does take ages to install doesn't it? I don't know whether it's quicker when you do it the the %oem% way, I haven't tried that with all the hotfixes. There's only so many times you can keep installing windows to try things without drving yourself nuts!

Can anyone say whether it's quicker that way? If so, a solution would be to slipstream the files, leave the cat files in svcpack but remove the hotfixes from there and the reference to them in svcpack.inf and install them using the %oem% method outlined by AaronXP. As greenmachine has said in another thread, I personally wouldn't chance not installing them at all even when slipstreamed because there must be a reason why microsoft's guide tells you to do this.

Thanks again.

Ok Tbone2 thanks.

Actually, it would be interesting to get a direct comparison using the same hotfixes and no other differences to compare the time between the two. If anyone's bored (!) and wants to try it please post the result.

I consider the two methods to be more or less equal in time. I have not stopwatched them, but it's close enough for me. They both run the hotfixes, this method runs them at t-13 minutes, the batch files from CMDLINES.TXT run immedatly after this. The benifit of the RHSM (Royal HotFix Scripting Method) is reliability, not timesaving. RHSM eliminates different versions of the same file. Watch out for the type 2s: if anyone has a list of those which don't work ... it'd help us all out. The 4 I do appear to work for me, but I almost never use XP (2003 for me), so my testing is, at best, inconclusive.

Box, the hotfix packages must remain in svcpack for the reason that some of the component changes were not only binary based but in a few cases were also adjustments,compensations in the registry to alter a behaviour, such as with the compile error catalogued - the cache would discharge from kernal before compile was finished and would require refresh of all core code, slowing compiles to a crawl in large memory situations.

the type twos are all classed as unreliable outside of their packages because the dlls are forced into the register mode, they are not natively self registering in most packages. They may or may not register even by command from the setup gui itself as we have found as some of the mods done to the code itself do not always respond to the guisetup protocol to call api/dll self registration.