Event id 4226

Tassadaru

Well... good news I guess.. Last night I added some rules in the firewall to the programs that are always running (uTorrent, mIRC, Yahoo Messenger, Mozilla, etc) and added the rule ALLOW ALL to each of them. Usually, when I got home from work my connection would be problematic. This time, it wasn't.

To Spooky: uTorrent != Azureus - Azureus is Java-Based, but uTorrent is standalone and the smallest Bittorrent client available.

Anyways, I'm hoping that the problem WON'T come up again, since it's really annoying, and now, if I see that it will work, I will give theese settings a go. My uTorrent settings were decreased in advanced like this:

net.max_halfopen = *4 (default: 8)

bt.connect_speed = *4 (default: 20)

Rest remained unchanged. net.max_halfopen referres to how many half-open connections per second will the client attempt, and bt.connect_speed is how many connections per second will the client make. Anways, now I will reset theese settings, and let you know what is happening and if the settings in the firewall really worked (note: I am talking about Start - Administrative Tools - Windows Firewall with Advanced Security - That's where I added the ALLOW rules to the programs.)

I'll keep you up2date, and btw, if you want, I can attach the modified tcpip.sys to a post so you can download it and use it. (before being able to replace it, you must take ownership over it, I think whoever wants to replace it will know how to do that)

I'll keep you all up to date with the latest happenings of the problem.

Thank you all for replying and trying to solve the problem.

David aka. Tassadar over and out.

a modified tcpip.sys? You didn't say anything before about actually using a modified tcpip.sys? What modified tcpip.sys?

Well... good news I guess.. Last night I added some rules in the firewall to the programs that are always running (uTorrent, mIRC, Yahoo Messenger, Mozilla, etc) and added the rule ALLOW ALL to each of them. Usually, when I got home from work my connection would be problematic. This time, it wasn't.

To Spooky: uTorrent != Azureus - Azureus is Java-Based, but uTorrent is standalone and the smallest Bittorrent client available.

Anyways, I'm hoping that the problem WON'T come up again, since it's really annoying, and now, if I see that it will work, I will give theese settings a go. My uTorrent settings were decreased in advanced like this:

net.max_halfopen = *4 (default: 8)

bt.connect_speed = *4 (default: 20)

Rest remained unchanged. net.max_halfopen referres to how many half-open connections per second will the client attempt, and bt.connect_speed is how many connections per second will the client make. Anways, now I will reset theese settings, and let you know what is happening and if the settings in the firewall really worked (note: I am talking about Start - Administrative Tools - Windows Firewall with Advanced Security - That's where I added the ALLOW rules to the programs.)

I'll keep you up2date, and btw, if you want, I can attach the modified tcpip.sys to a post so you can download it and use it. (before being able to replace it, you must take ownership over it, I think whoever wants to replace it will know how to do that)

I'll keep you all up to date with the latest happenings of the problem.

Thank you all for replying and trying to solve the problem.

David aka. Tassadar over and out.

I just thought of one more thing you can try. In your connection settings uncheck 'Link-Layer Topology Discovery Mapper I/O Driver' and 'Link-Layer Topology Discovery Responder' (you can also un-check IPv6 but i don't think IPv6 is a problem)

Well, my settings were reverted back to the modified ones this morning, I mean for the net.max_halfopen and bt.connection_speed, since I saw that uTorrent reported: A connection bla bla attempt bla bla not allowed bla bla. That's the error it usually gets whenever the Permission denied error "pops-up". So NO SOLVING of the problem yet. As in the patched tcpip.sys, I told you about it earlier.

Only things checked for my INTERNET (public) conenction is Client for Microsoft Networks and Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCPIP/4).

For my home connection (private), the only things checked are: the two above and File and Printer Sharing. QoS packed scheduler is unchecked on both, I tried I think every possible combination of checking and unchecking :) oh well, sux to be us, or sux to be vista :) I'll keep on hoping a fix comes along.

Well I have changed the adapters between them, as a little try of resolving my problems:

I forgot to mention I have two adapters in my Computer:

1. nVidia nForce networking controller (inet connection with ics enabled)

2. Realtek RTL8319/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC

The net got to my computer through nVidia Network and then got to my mom's pc through Realtek.

I changed the roles, now the net comes through Realtek and goes to my mom's through nVidia.

Maybe this will help, I dunno. I also got a "patched" (or so he said) tcpip.sys from a friend who said that there limit in that .sys is patched. I don't know for that, but problems still arose after installing of the new .sys file. We'll see how it will behave in this configuration.

Anyways thank you all for trying to help!

I have the same problem with Vista as well. When using uTorrent or any other p2p program, I'm sometimes unable to establish new connections. Only reboot fixes the problem. "An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions" is the error reported by uTorrent. I've tried disabling Windows Firewall but the problem persist.

Like Tassadaru and bkraptor, I have ICS enabled. Could it be the cause of these problems? I'm not using a router, the other computer is connected directly to my other onboard LAN adapter. Don't know what else to tell you other than that it's very, very annoying.

Hopefully this will get fixed asap.

I have the same problem with Vista as well. When using uTorrent or any other p2p program, I'm sometimes unable to establish new connections. Only reboot fixes the problem. "An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions" is the error reported by uTorrent. I've tried disabling Windows Firewall but the problem persist.

Like Tassadaru and bkraptor, I have ICS enabled. Could it be the cause of these problems? I'm not using a router, the other computer is connected directly to my other onboard LAN adapter. Don't know what else to tell you other than that it's very, very annoying.

The temp fix @ me is that I restart uTorrent and the connections problem fixes-itself in 1-5 minutes. If there was a way to make uTorrent restart itself whenever it encounters that error, (An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions), would be the optimal temporary fix. Or make Windows restart the program using a batch file with tskill and restarting. Dunno, any ideas?

I was just about out of ideas for you then I thought i'd try to duplicate a bunch of connections as I imagined you might have, I've got three different P2P programs running for different reasons, I added uTorrent also and started d/l a bunch of torrent stuff. I've had these running almost constantly for the last week. And on top of this I'm browsing the net with several tabs running, checking email, FTP'ing some stuff, I don't have one 4226 items in my error logs and haven't had one since I installed Vista about a month ago when I got my RTM from MS, and this machine has been running 24 hours a day every day since install. (although things are a little slow bandwidth wise because all the bandwidth is being eaten up by the constant FTP and P2P activity.)

The temp fix @ me is that I restart uTorrent and the connections problem fixes-itself in 1-5 minutes. If there was a way to make uTorrent restart itself whenever it encounters that error, (An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions), would be the optimal temporary fix. Or make Windows restart the program using a batch file with tskill and restarting. Dunno, any ideas?

Edited by Spooky

im running vista rc2 and got similar problem.

uTorrent keeps poping up this same memory problem message (1.5 GB RAM and 2.0 GB pagefile )

and right know with ICS turned on im getting also 31004 error along with

ID - 7031 The Application Layer Gateway Service service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 120000 milliseconds: Restart the service.

ID - 34001 The ICS_IPV6 failed to configure IPv6 stack.

Funny thing is after all these errors Explorer and funcy Aero are dead :)

Anyway uTorrent is working fine (despite of this annoying messages) but when i want to connect my pda via wifi and

use Vista ICS everything stops working, including Vista :)

I know this is Beta but it drives me nuts - today i spent two hours trying to sync it with pda..........

@kityo

"ID - 7031 The Application Layer Gateway Service service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 120000 milliseconds: Restart the service.

ID - 34001 The ICS_IPV6 failed to configure IPv6 stack."

This tells me that something is messed up, the Vista install for the IP stack is not working right and an application didn't install correctly. Have you turned any services off or tried to remove IPv6, or made any changes to the OS files? Its possible its just beta activity also.

@Tassadaru;

Try this, create a shortcut to uTorrent on the desktop. Then right click on the shortcut, choose properties choose the General tab then click the Advanced button and check the 'Run as administrator' block, Apply and OK out. See if that helps.

Edited by Spooky

Let me ask you a question, did you do this reg tweak? I'm not asking you to try it, i'm asking if you already did it?

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings]
"MaxConnectionsPerServer"=dword:00000014
"MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server"=dword:00000014

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings]

Let me ask you a question, did you do this reg tweak? I'm not asking you to try it, i'm asking if you already did it?

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings]

It's present in HKEY_CURRENT_USER as:

"IE5_UA_Backup_Flag"="5.0"
"User Agent"="Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)"
"EmailName"="IEUser@"
"AutoConfigProxy"="wininet.dll"
"MimeExclusionListForCache"="multipart/mixed multipart/x-mixed-replace multipart/x-byteranges "
"UseSchannelDirectly"=hex:01,00,00,00
"EnableHttp1_1"=dword:00000001
"PrivDiscUiShown"=dword:00000001
"WarnOnIntranet"=dword:00000001
"WarnOnPost"=hex:01,00,00,00
"UrlEncoding"=dword:00000000
"SecureProtocols"=dword:000000a0
"PrivacyAdvanced"=dword:00000000
"DisableCachingOfSSLPages"=dword:00000000
"WarnonZoneCrossing"=dword:00000000
"CertificateRevocation"=dword:00000001
"EnableNegotiate"=dword:00000001
"MigrateProxy"=dword:00000001
"ProxyEnable"=dword:00000000
"WarnOnHTTPSToHTTPRedirect"=dword:00000000
"SyncMode5"=dword:00000000
"EnableAutodial"=dword:00000000
"NoNetAutodial"=dword:00000000
"MaxConnectionsPerServer"=dword:0000000a
"MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server"=dword:0000000a

This is the root of the Internet Settings in HKEY_CURRENT_USER.

In HKEY_USERS:

"User Agent"="Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)"
"IE5_UA_Backup_Flag"="5.0"
"EnableNegotiate"=dword:00000001

And in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings]
"EnablePunycode"=dword:00000001
"MinorVersion"="0"
"ActiveXCache"="C:\\Windows\\Downloaded Program Files"
"CodeBaseSearchPath"="CODEBASE;<http://activex.microsoft.com/objects/ocget.dll>"
"WarnOnIntranet"=dword:00000001
"WarnOnHTTPSToHTTPRedirect"=dword:00000000

Anyways, I disabled the UAC or how that's called to need to check the textbox "As administrator", since everything IS run as administrator. :)

Put the reg entries in the places as I showed above using the values shown and monitor the 4226 for a couple of days.

This is kind of out there a little in left field I admit, and I'm not saying this is a solution for you, but some P2P clients take advantage of the IE API's in their code and I want to check if this is the case for you, since the 4226 limit is 10, and your present setting in IE is 10 (shown as hex 0000000a in your present settings), when you exceed this you might get the 4226 if your P2P client coding takes advantage of the IE API's, not sure if uTorrent does or not. This changes it to 20 (hex 00000014).

Edited by Spooky

"ID - 7031 The Application Layer Gateway Service service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 120000 milliseconds: Restart the service.

ID - 34001 The ICS_IPV6 failed to configure IPv6 stack."

This tells me that something is messed up, the Vista install for the IP stack is not working right and an application didn't install correctly. Have you turned any services off or tried to remove IPv6, or made any changes to the OS files? Its possible its just beta activity also.

Yup, i thought so to, thats way i blown it out of the sky removing IPV6 and now everything is working fine.

I have turned off only one service - wlanmonitor cuz with it turned on i had 100% of CPU usage every 30 sec.

Nasty :) But of course when i want to connect via wifi its on again.

Just a beta so everything is expected here :)

10x 4 r help

Hey guys,

I found this thread via Google and have to admit i dont really understand the tech talk here. Im a bit of a techy, but clearly not as much as you guys.

I also have this problem with Vista, and apparently uTorrent. Is there any sort of fix yet? From the little i understand in this thread there currently isnt a fix. I'll give any potential fix a try...i just need it dumbed down (or a short guide) to be able to achive it.

Edited by r00dd00d