Installing second OS

fbuksh

Hey people,

I have a problem one of you might be able to help with. I have a machine with Windows XP SP2 installed on it and i am trying to install a second OS, Windows 2003 server, on a second hard disk. The problem is that the system is unable to continue installation after all 2003 server files have been copied. It just hangs. If however i install it on a different partition and the same hard disk as XP, it works. I don't understand why it does not work on a second hard disk.

Regards,

Feroz

As far as I know, 2 operating systems have to be on the same harddisk.

(best way is the first on a primary partition and the second on an extended partition)

If you would install it on another HDD you can never boot from that operating system,

unless you change your boot priority in your bios.

If those operating systems are on the same HDD you can choose which you want to start

when you start up your computer.

I have XP and Vista also installed on the same HDD.

This is just the way it works.

Grtz

As far as I know, 2 operating systems have to be on the same hard disk.
Not true Grtz. The Windows bootmanager will allow installing to another drive to either a primary or logical partition.

I can’t think what your problem might be Feroz. How are you installing, from within Windows or by booting directly from the 2k3 CD? Are you sure your drive configuration is correct and your XP is the boot drive in the bios. Is the second drive correctly set as Master/Slave and on the right cable plug. Are your drives IDE or SATA or both. What other drives are connected? Try removing any USB storage devices during the install.

Personally I’d recommend making the drive the boot drive for the install and then use a different boot manager. This way your two Windows installs won’t be linked together. http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/principles.htm

Good to know , THX

Maybe Feroz problem is indeed when he installs it from within windows.

I had the same issue installing Vista from within XP.

After a while it hangs when copying files.

Booting with same vista dvd there was no problem at all.

Maybe you can try that Feroz.