Windows XP installed in under 256MB.

curtis

Hello, so far I've managed to get my XP install image to 89MB and the actual install down to 265MB with only two services running (Plug and play and RPC). It currently takes 4 seconds to boot but I have not optimised it properly yet, except from minlogin (which does help and means oembios.bin could be deleted)

Screenshot attached below:

Edit: Forgot to say the PF usage just after boot is a lot lower (24MB) and as you can see it is in VMware.

Edited by curtis

Wow thats pretty **** good, but I doubt its very useful. I bet it does give a better understanding of what should be removed, what could be removed and what should not be removed for future "lite" versions of XP.

Removed basically everything in nlite, then removed a few other DirectX dlls left behind and replaced winlogon for minlogon. I'll post the config when I get access to the computer I did it on. Yea, it isn't anything new but just got back from hospital so have to stay in a for a few days and got bored :thumbup

Also, I forgot to say about disabling the page file and hibernation as that removes around 1GB from the drive.

I was thinking about leaving in essent and the database support as they are only 500kbish each.

Merry christmas to everyone :)

Edited by curtis

The option for using minlogon instead of winlogon is useful but I dont think Nuhi is going to have it in nlite. Myself I dont go for the size of windows but for efficientcy. Most of the times they are the same. If you slipstreamed minlogon into instaqll CD please let me know how you did it.

The option for using minlogon instead of winlogon is useful but I dont think Nuhi is going to have it in nlite. Myself I dont go for the size of windows but for efficientcy. Most of the times they are the same. If you slipstreamed minlogon into instaqll CD please let me know how you did it.

I added it after install, got it down to 75mb total now. Nothing left to do with it so I'm gonna not bother with it any more :thumbup

You have got a point though about going for efficiency, when I do my normal images that is what I go for.

There's nothing special to bringing the install down to that size... just remove just about everything imaginable. I got mine down to about 220MB with PF disabled. It boots up so fast the scrollbar didn't get to scroll. This is with nLite 1.2.

As for usefulness... I just need the bare minimum to get iTunes and PowerDVD working for my CarPC. So with the drivers and applications loaded, I can probably get away with a 512MB card. Once I get the navi software, that's another mess to resolve.