Best Data Backup Software/Solution?

sonu27

Best Data Backup Software, for home users?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Best Data Backup Software, for home users?

• Genie Backup Manager Home v7.0
    • Acronis True Image Home v10
    • NTI Backup NOW! Deluxe Suite
    • PowerBackup
    • Norton Ghost
    • AISBackup
    • Other

Acronis True Image Home Edition 10 for me. 100 MBs, pfft, big deal. It's worth the filesize for the ease of use and convenience of being able to restore without reformatting/reinstalling from scratch if something major goes wrong.

Acronis has TrueImage version 7 for free.

Tarun, do you happen to know the difference between True Image 7 and 10?

Edited by Jeremy

The point about the large file size Jeremy is what is all that code doing? It can't be just the nice graphics. Similar tools with more features can be a quarter of that size or less. Ghost on a floppy is a 100 times smaller. Bloated software usually means badly written software.

Anyone could have predicted that Acronis would get the most votes in a poll here. I bet most people haven't used anything else and have only went with Acronis because it has been the most well marketed in the last few years. Most of Acronis' favorable computer mag reviews were bought with free software for the magazine's cover CDs.

The point about the large file size Jeremy is what is all that code doing?
Bloated software usually means badly written software.

I just checked the filesize of my Acronis True Image Home Edition 10 and it's 17.3 MB (18,160,502 bytes).

I'm a happy Ghost 2003 user but seeing as Acronis 7 is being offered for free I wouldn't mind messing around with it. I clicked the link from several posts earlier and got to the registration page and they sent me a serial #..... but where do I get the program? The only "7" I see on their site is Migrate Easy 7.

Edit: I see now, "manage your registered products." The download is there as well as an update.

Edited by E-66

New features introduced in version 10

* Supports Microsoft Windows Vista — Ensure that you can protect you system if you upgrade to the latest version of Windows

* Backup your music, video, and photos — Preserve your digital memories

* Outlook backup — Preserve your emails, contacts, calendar, tasks, notes, signatures, news folders, e-mail rules and user settings with just a few mouse clicks

* Application protection — Protect your application settings and avoid the time consuming process of redoing your custom settings

* Quick backup of specific files — Initiate backup of specific files without being in the Acronis True Image application

* Restore application settings — Avoid the hassle of customizing your applications again in case of failure

* Explore backups — Easily search and recover particular files in archives just like in Windows Explorer

* Create backup rules — Ensure that you never run out of space by setting limits on the amount of space allocated for backups, the number of backups and the amount of time you keep backups

* Email notifications — Peace of mind by obtaining notification that your backups have completed

* Save to FTP — Flexibility to store your backups where you want to

You still got to go back 2 more versions.

Their are quite many I quess.

Sorry about the double post.

Edited by sonu27

I just checked the filesize of my Acronis True Image Home Edition 10 and it's 17.3 MB (18,160,502 bytes).

What? I have got the trial and it is 101MB. Where did you get yours from?

The size of the folder "Program Files\Acronis\TrueImageHome" is indeed 17.6MB.

The size of the folder "Program Files\Common Files\Acronis" is around 113MB.

I am not sure what exactly the rest of those files are for, about half appears to be used for making rescue cds.

The actual size of the trial install is larger than 101MB, thats the compressed value. That also includes BartPE which is around 32MB (extracted).

BTW if you dont install Acronis and just use the RescueCD then technically the install size is 0. ;)

Oh OK, but I meant the installer.

Will the program continue to fuction without the common files? I don't think to, so it must be included in the whole thing.

But what the hell are these common files.

I installed Acronis True Image Home v10, and removed it in about a hour. Great product but why does it require all these things to be runnign when the program it not working.

I can understand the task scheduler, but what about all the other s***.

And the uninstall is f***ing crap. Leaves the services and registry bits.

Oh OK, but I meant the installer. Will the program continue to fuction without the common files? I don't think to, so it must be included in the whole thing. But what the hell are these common files. I installed Acronis True Image Home v10, and removed it in about a hour. Great product but why does it require all these things to be runnign when the program it not working. I can understand the task scheduler, but what about all the other s***. And the uninstall is f***ing crap. Leaves the services and registry bits.
Nothing's perfect. The product does work like a charm and for that I am grateful. If the uninstaller isn't clean, you can manually clean things up afterwards. Obviously, you shouldn't have to, but that's life. I find a bit of pride in my ability to manually cleanse my system of traces of uninstalled software. I actually did that yesterday for about 20 minutes. I found reference to around 15 programs that had long since been gone. Of course jv16 PowerTools helped me do all of that, but the fact that it didn't find all those in "Aggressive" scans had me questioning its ability for a moment, but then I remembered once more that nothing is perfect. At least it helped me find the traces after unsuccessfully cleaning them automatically.

Anyway, back on topic, I'd say those Common Files are for the BartPE and Rescue Media. After you have that CD burnt off, perhaps you can remove the Common Files or some of them. I might experiment with that sometime.

Why do you install acronis ? Just use the bootable CD to create and restore image

That's a good idea for users who've already created the Rescue Media Boot CD and are picky about having the 100+ MBs installed just to create images. I don't like the idea of having to reboot and boot to CD to do so, especially if I'm doing daily backups, but it's not a bad idea.

It's a good idea, if you dont use Acronis TI to back up your personnal data, just keep them on another partition.

I just backup The C: partition, windows and installed programs. it on take 800 meg, in my case.

games and data are on another partition...